Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "what the hell do I call my training log?" training log...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

What's the plan now?

Don't have one yet. I'm veering between thoughts of doing near marathons to (don't tell anyone around here) doing some cycling for the summer! So I'm planning to come up with a plan.

In the mean time I'll probably try run maybe 4 or 5 times a week including a LSR of a reasonable distance. Must look back and see what I did after DCM - I'm sure I was more pro-active than this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Ya I know what you mean. I have to drag myself out for a run but once I'm out it's the finest

Probably helped having the Waterford HM to focus on after Dub. Maybe you need to pick a small race .... 8km in Clonmel Fri wk if you're interested ;)

Communion weekend in my house that weekend! Enjoy though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Probably helped having the Waterford HM to focus on after Dub. Maybe you need to pick a small race .... 8km in Clonmel Fri wk if you're interested ;)

Never mind Clonmel, 3,000m on the track in Kilkenny that night! :cool: ;)

Another short, slow run tonight - 4.96km in 31:01 (exactly same as last night) - average 6:16/km, average HR 138bpm. Remembered to re-enable auto-pause this evening, so I actually ran more slowly tonight than I did last night but the more consistent moving pace reflects the higher average HR. Again my daughter provided pacing on her bike - it's my son's turn tomorrow night!

• Advertisement

8.23km in 51.01 - avg pace 6.12/km, avg HR 134bpm.

Back on the dark side - 40km done on the bike in about 1:40 in the company of UpThe19th. Avg pace 24km/hr, avg HR 121bpm.

First run in a week was tonight - and painting the house just doesn't release the same endorphins, I find.

Had loosely decided to get up early this morning and go before breakfast but realistically that was never going to happen. A string of late nights this week pretty much made sure of that.

Anyway ran after dinner. Set out without much of a plan - I'm still aimless - of either distance, speed or route. Ended up doing 14.52km in 1.16, an average of 5.17/km and avg HR of 141. It was a nice evening for it too and the legs felt grand.

Down side is that I don't know yet when my next run will be - probably not tomorrow, unlikely Sunday, possibly Monday. I really need to plan something.

Got out again tonight - 11.27km at avg pace of 4.59/km, avg HR 145bpm.

Pretty much sure I'm now looking for a good 10wk half plan for Clonmel (suggestions please!) and feed from that into my next marathon race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Got out again tonight - 11.27km at avg pace of 4.59/km, avg HR 145bpm.

Pretty much sure I'm now looking for a good 10wk half plan for Clonmel (suggestions please!) and feed from that into my next marathon race.
    It's hard to come by a decent half marathon plan. I've made up my own based on mcmillan 10k plan and the HM sessions Meno posted for Waterford. PM me your email address if you want to have a look ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

It's hard to come by a decent half marathon plan. I've made up my own based on mcmillan 10k plan and the HM sessions Meno posted for Waterford. PM me your email address if you want to have a look ;)

Agreed. Took me a while to do my plan - also trying to mix it up a bit to keep it interesting.

Most of us, ahem, athlethes, have different focuses - some are coming off Marathon training into a HM training plan, some are coming off 10k plans - others are coming off no plan - so its important to have a structure that suits where you're going, but also where you're coming from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Sounds like you've got a bit of the love for running back Dilbert! Great to see :)

Ah it's nice to be back alright. I just don't like having a goal so beating you to the cake table in Clonmel seems like as good a target as any :D

But I'm such an easy target :( we'll have to get you aiming higher than that!

I dunno - a woman on the promise of cake - that makes you a pretty tough opponent!

CHOCOLATE cake, I could be battering that PB yet!

Beautiful evening for running. Had to wait till Mrs D got home but headed out just after 9 and managed to get in 11.2k before the light went. Wasn't really trying to quick to a particular pace, just ran as I felt. Ended up doing it in 53.58, which is 4.49/km, with average HR of 148. There were a good few 1k splits of less than 4.40, and I took it a bit easier on the way home (admittedly up a bloody big hill).

Only excitement was being chased by an energetic Jack Russell near home - its owner wanted me to kick it so I tried to educate her that it's a dog's instinct to chase things that move quickly. Not sure she took that on board though. :(

After burning off my 865 calories I came home and ate a quarter of a pear & cream sponge flan - well I am in training for Clonmel, so I do have to be prepared for all aspects of the event! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great evening alright! But not if you were doing intervals!! :eek: Roasted!

Been a while since I posted an update on this - time to get this curve climbing steeply again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Been a while since I posted an update on this - time to get this curve climbing steeply again.

Love this, I need me one of these, nice bit of healthy competition - even if its against yourself :D

• Advertisement

27.6km done with Mrs D. Route was intended to be 24km but I picked it and miscalculated. Oops. And it turned out to be quite a bit hillier than I'd remembered. Oops again. Anyway we got it done in 2.23 - average pace 5.12/km, avg HR 150bpm, 2126cal.

The big revelation for me was how much fluid I lost. I weighed myself before and after and, despite drinking about a half litre while out plus another probably quarter litre before I went out, I lost 1.2kg of water while I was out. Working on replacing that now.

27.6km done with Mrs D. Route was intended to be 24km but I picked it and miscalculated. Oops. And it turned out to be quite a bit hillier than I'd remembered. Oops again. Anyway we got it done in 2.23 - average pace 5.12/km, avg HR 150bpm, 2126cal.

The big revelation for me was how much fluid I lost. I weighed myself before and after and, despite drinking about a half litre while out plus another probably quarter litre before I went out, I lost 1.2kg of water while I was out. Working on replacing that now.

That's an incredible amoutn of fluid! I must admit I still don't bring water with me, really should change that habit. I just hate carrying a bottle with me...do you carry it or stash it along the route?

Isn't it shocking?:eek:

I have a belt with two pockets and a holder for a large bottle, so I filled the half litre bottle from my bike and popped an electrolyte tab in.

Following a conversation (after GLR) with a colleague who plays rugby and gets weighed before & after every training session, I decided to do the same myself. I was stunned that I still lost so much - 1.7kg in total. Given that the average 70 kg man i(and I'm almost exactly average - at most things) is said to have 40kg of water in his body, and 2% dehydration (0.8kg) is said to have a serious effect on your athletic performance, that's massive.

It's made me think again. I never even felt like I was sweating - I did feel increasingly tired as I went on though and maybe that explains why.

Isn't it shocking?:eek:

I have a belt with two pockets and a holder for a large bottle, so I filled the half litre bottle from my bike and popped an electrolyte tab in.

Following a conversation (after GLR) with a colleague who plays rugby and gets weighed before & after every training session, I decided to do the same myself. I was stunned that I still lost so much - 1.7kg in total. Given that the average 70 kg man i(and I'm almost exactly average - at most things) is said to have 40kg of water in his body, and 2% dehydration (0.8kg) is said to have a serious effect on your athletic performance, that's massive.

It's made me think again. I never even felt like I was sweating - I did feel increasingly tired as I went on though and maybe that explains why.

Very interesting indeed...mmm think I'll order one of those belt thingys

8.69km including 8x100 strides. 45.54 total, 5.17/km average pace, average HR 141.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

I've been watching my weight like a hawk over the past couple of months and I've noticed a huge difference in weight loss on a run depending on the weather. On a standard day an hours run sees approx 1 - 1.5 lbs off. On a hot day though this can be more than double on the same route / roughly same time.

Are you following any particular plan for Clonmel C or just winging it? I find I am better following a specific plan to keep my motivation up and have been having a look at some plans online, but a lot of them are a bit low mileage and seem a bit easy. I’d prefer to keep my mileage relatively high not to lose fitness.

If you ever saw Forest Gump I'm a bit like the leaf at the start blowing around on the breeze - running where and when I can fit it in with no real structure. A really fast marathon runner was kind enough to share her plan with me but I've not yet found the time to put my own slant on it.

I'd say I'll more than likely tag onto Meno's gang for DCM13 seeing how he's working at speed for the first weeks of it. But, for the first time since I started running, I'm just very indecisive about what I want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

ncmc wrote: »
    Are you following any particular plan for Clonmel C or just winging it? I find I am better following a specific plan to keep my motivation up and have been having a look at some plans online, but a lot of them are a bit low mileage and seem a bit easy. I’d prefer to keep my mileage relatively high not to lose fitness.

This should sort you out! :D

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    This should sort you out! :D

Perfect! Just what I need! I actually found myself looking at the Courtmacsharry 36 mile ultra website last night until I came to my senses. You definitely have me brain washed :)

Advertisement