Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "what the hell do I call my training log?" training log...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    If you ever saw Forest Gump I'm a bit like the leaf at the start blowing around on the breeze - running where and when I can fit it in with no real structure. A really fast marathon runner was kind enough to share her plan with me but I've not yet found the time to put my own slant on it.

I'd say I'll more than likely tag onto Meno's gang for DCM13 seeing how he's working at speed for the first weeks of it. But, for the first time since I started running, I'm just very indecisive about what I want to do.
    I know exactly what you mean. I feel a bit... Dissatisfied since Monday, no real interest in running another marathon in the foreseeable future, but at the same time, want a band wagon to jump on to try and move on from that race. I figured a good half marathon plan could keep me occupied and at least I might hit ONE of my targets this year! I am breaking 1:40 for a half this year if I have to steal a bike and cycle half of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Don't rush back into anything heavy anyway N - it's too soon. In any case by Clonmel you should have no problem breaking 1.40 for half, especially if you're gearing your training towards that rather than a marathon. The 4 week plan post-DCM12 would probably be a good place to start.

belcarra wrote: »
    This should sort you out! :D

Gee thanks for that! :)

Ok so I started this evening's run by spending way too long on Boards. Most unusual. But, apart from stirring it on Blockic's thread :P, I was reading this thread from start to finish and it seems to have kick-started my running mojo a little.

So anyway after some Dads Taxi duties I pulled on my Boards running shirt (first time training in it actually) and headed out. Plan was to do about 14 or 15km, mostly take it handy but throw in a few MP and some HMP kms along the way.

Noticed in the first km that my HR seemed to be lower than in the first km of my recent runs, so that was encouraging. Once I got out on the road I decided I would open the taps a bit and see what happened. And it went well.

Long story short the following were my km splits over 14.6km:
    km|pace|avg HR
    1|5.16|135
    2|4.49|144
    3|4.33|139
    4|4.11|150
    5|4.06|162
    6|4.58|160
    7|4.52|151
    8|4.45|145
    9|4.38|151
    10|4.25|151
    11|5.01|149
    12|5.18|156
    13|5.28|158
    14|5.07|142
    15|5.12|144

I'm actually a wee bit disappointed that I didn't have more kms at the faster speeds but I'm satisfied enough overall. Will try get out for a short recovery run tomorrow evening and I'm likely to have a decent LSR on Saturday (c. 30km, though I see Meno recommending that the LSR form no more than 1/3 of the weekly mileage so it's probably going to be a bit longer than ideal just for this week).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

and I'm likely to have a decent LSR on Saturday (c. 30km, though I see Meno recommending that the LSR form no more than 1/3 of the weekly mileage so it's probably going to be a bit longer than ideal just for this week).

It's ok Dilbert, I don't understand KMs.

• Advertisement

Had to collect a car in Mayo for my brother this weekend and drive it home. Seeing I needed to get a long run in too, and I enjoy running different roads, I figured I'd run from the train station to pick up the car. I guess it was bad luck that the day turned out to be so warm but I figured I'd just take my time and take a few breaks along the way.

Got off the 6.05 train in Westport and headed towards Partry. Was carrying a backpack with a change of clothes so needed to stock up with food and drinks on the way. Stopped at each shop I met on the way - was nice to have a chat with the people too.

Road was quite narrow in lots of places with only about a foot of hard shoulder in most places. It was a lot more undulating than it looked on the map too, although not too bad - no real climbing walls. No shade or breeze either though, just relentless sunshine. Traffic wasn't too bad and mostly very considerate, making plenty space for me.

Stopped at 15k for a break under a tree - had a granola bar and some water. Got going again and turned off before Partry. Less traffic here but a bit hillier and it was around 1pm, so was getting very hot. The last shop had been quite a while back too, so I was getting a bit concerned about my water supplies. The fall-back plan was to call into a house for water but most of them appeared unoccupied - holiday homes maybe?

Scenery along here is fantastic - probably the nicest I've run in and gave me an even stronger longing to do the Run Killarney marathon in July :o - and was particularly so on such a nice day. Was passed by a couple of cyclists who looked very comfortable and slightly regretted not bringing the bike instead. Nevermind.

What was getting to me was a quite heavy camber on the road - it was that way most of the way out but my left leg was starting to feel the pain but traffic wasn't quite light enough to allow me run on the crown of the road. Reached the half marathon distance in 1.58 (running time), which was just about on target. Haven't downloaded my Garmin yet so I'm not certain how even my pacing was but it seemed good enough.

Getting close to my destination the waters of Lough Mask were beckoning to me but I resisted. Got to Tourmakeady village at 25k and stopped in the shop for more water and some ice cream - yum!

Kept going - only a few km left. Stopped at a little cove in the lake where there were loads of people swimming and seriously considered just walking into the water fully clothed. Made do with another drink of water instead. Last couple of km along the lake were nice and there was the Brucey bonus of the mapping software having overestimated the distance by 500m. Ended up being just over 30k in total.

Finished off by finally getting into the lake - just walked in thigh-deep and it was lovely, though not quite as cool as I'd hoped (it was very shallow so heated up quickly).

The trip home - 200 miles - should have taken about 4 hours. Unfortunately the car, having been laid up for several months, decided one of its wheel bearings had had enough. Rumbled all the way and was running very hot so I ended up doing 40mph most or all the way. But that's for another forum. Got home at 11.10pm at the end of a 20-hour day.

And then the neighbours woke us up at 6.30 this morning. :( But that's for another forum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Stopped at 15k for a break under a tree - had a granola bar and some water. Got going again and turned off before Partry. Less traffic here but a bit hillier and it was around 1pm, so was getting very hot. The last shop had been quite a while back too, so I was getting a bit concerned about my water supplies. The fall-back plan was to call into a house for water but most of them appeared unoccupied - holiday homes maybe?

Every though of investing in a cheap camelbak? You can get one in Tescos Extra for €17, load it up with up to 1.5L of fluid and throw in a couple of goodies. Don't have to plan your routs around shops etc then. Ideal for going off the beaten track too.

Aimman wrote: »
    Every though of investing in a cheap camelbak? You can get one in Tescos Extra for €17, load it up with up to 1.5L of fluid and throw in a couple of goodies. Don't have to plan your routs around shops etc then. Ideal for going off the beaten track too.

Never knew you could get them and balked at paying e60 or 70 for the genuine one. Will definitely look out for one. Thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

I envy you your heart rate! No way i'd be doing sub 5 min/km pace at a comfortable 139 bpm.

On the water loss, I'd also noticed that I was dropping close to 2kg on my longer runs. Bearing in mind that my long runs aren't particularly long, thats mad. Definitely something that i'll have to keep an eye on as it gets that bit hotter.

No problem with heat today anyway! In Galway for work and, aided by the fact that I couldn't find the tv remote last night, I got a relatively early night with the alarm set for 6am. Had second thoughts when it went off and then decided to use the dreadmill instead of going out in the rain.

But it wasn't open yet so I said feic it and went. Watch wasn't finding satellites so just ran. Ended up doing about 5.4k in 28mins, no idea of HR. Ended up soaked but it was kinda liberating! That said I'm not sure this will be a regular event.

• Advertisement

Btw the Tesco camelbak is called the Platypus - but Tesco Clonmel were out of stock yesterday when I was passing through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

You'll have a miserable time pacing the HM in Clontarf with me telling you how you should have run from Castlebar as well as the merits (or otherwise) of the local second hand car industry...Those two hours will seem like a lot longer!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

just read your Mayo story - love it.

how'd you find running so long with the back pack?

how'd you find running so long with the back pack?

From a weight point of view it was fine. But I didn't much care for it to be honest. To be fair it came about the night before when I realised I needed some way to carry stuff and it was the only thing available. But my back was sweating extra and my drink belt was sitting under the backpack, which was a little awkward. And until I tightened the straps up to the last it was jumping up and down with every step. And it was starting to chafe my neck till I pulled my tshirt up. Just as well I'm not one to complain! :D

You'll have a miserable time pacing the HM in Clontarf with me telling you how you should have run from Castlebar as well as the merits (or otherwise) of the local second hand car industry...Those two hours will seem like a lot longer!!

I'm sure I'll hold my own, explaining at great length why I chose Westport rather than Castlebar and the virtues of distant rather than nearby car purchases. You'll likely wonder when you volunteered for the 5hr HM pacing gig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I'm sure I'll hold my own, explaining at great length why I chose Westport rather than Castlebar and the virtues of distant rather than nearby car purchases. You'll likely wonder when you volunteered for the 5hr HM pacing gig!
    Oh to be one of the lucky 2hr pacees :rolleyes:

Bit of a washout of a week for running - not because of weather but because I was travelling for work, then fluting around with fixing the car I brought home from Mayo (which turned out not to have a dodgy wheel bearing after all - it looks like I drove 200 miles with almost no front brakes! :eek:) in the evenings.

Only had 3 outings in total - the early morning 5.4k in Galway, 5 k the following evening and a good run today. The run of the week was:
    Day|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun
    Plan|5k run + core|7x hill|3m run+core|30 min tempo|Rest|5k pace|90 min run
    Actual|0|5.4k|5k + core|0|0|0|21.74k incl. 5k @ HMP

Having missed so much I decided that I'd tack on the extra 5k from yesterday to today's run, so it'd be 45mins @ 2hr HMP, 5k @ PHMP, 45 mins @ 2hr HMP. Instead of changing pace in the middle of a km, I decided to go for 9km (48 mins) and then switch.

Km|Km Pace|Avg HR
    1|5.34|135
    2|5.22|141
    3|5.22|130
    4|5.29|143
    5|5.25|153
    6|5.12|134
    7|5.19|141
    8|5.17|141
    9|5.16|146

So the pacing was a little fast but steadier than previously - I think I'm getting a better handle on it now. I think I made an error in my GLR training by not running slowly enough (I think CM may have had a point when she said at one point "slow down"). I did a lot of kms at or close to PMP which should have helped in one way but may have hindered in another.

I was fortunate the way it worked out - the 5k @PHMP landed on a section of road that wasn't uphill - in fact a good proportion of it was downhill. Thankfully because I found it tough enough going.

Km|Km pace|Avg HR
    10|4.08|164
    11|4.12|164
    12|4.12|159
    13|4.03|166
    14|4.06|169

Don't know how I'd keep that up for a full HM.:confused:

After that it was a matter of trimming back and settling back into the planned 5.35/km pace. This took a little time but (no surprise) there was soon a big mofo of a hill to help me slow down.

Km|Km Pace|Avg HR
    15|5.18|157
    16|5.17|157
    17|5.11|147
    18|5.31|141
    19|5.34|146
    20|5.46|155
    21|5.32|154
    22|5.25|144

As at the start, I need to slow down but my regulation of pace has improved with less dependence on the watch. Did a decent enough stretching & rolling session when I got home, certainly much better than I've done in a long while. Need to do a serious job on hamstring flexibility and I may just get into the habit - I'm wasting my time otherwise.

I'm planning to do all of my steady running at 5:35/km for this HM campaign (was my PMP last year!) and see how that goes. Time on my feet will increase but I need that I think. I'm a bit shocked by how much effort the 5k took, even going downhill, but it was faster than PHMP so I'll try remember that. It's just there are a few hills in Clonmel and I've to remember that and make sure I'm ready for them.

Plan for next week - to keep me motivated - is as follows:
    Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun
    5k + core|8x400@5k|5k+core|40 min tempo|Rest|5k|90 min (3/1)

Hopefully I'll stick to that a bit better next week than last. YTD chart updated below.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

I've to remember that and make sure I'm ready for them.

QUOTE]

Just a thought but maybe a couple of sessions running up "the climbing wall" C, at about 50%. I reckon it would be a big help conditioning wise and would keep you from losing touch too much with PHMP on the hills in the race.

I've a bigger hill in mind than that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

I've a bigger hill in mind than that ;)

Jaysus.....Brandon? The viewing point is another good test, its about 2.5-3km.

Enjoy

• Advertisement

upthe19th wrote: »
    Jaysus.....Brandon? The viewing point is another good test, its about 2.5-3km.

Enjoy

No, closer to home - we passed the bottom of it a few times, the Wexford rally sometimes goes up it. It's like Eau Rouge in Spa. Only steeper and longer.

This new core training regime is perplexing my poor dog. She can't figure out why I'm on the flat of my back in the kitchen and won't give her a rub. Think she's given up trying now.

Btw I've just learned not to eat Scots Clan before a core workout. Not the messy way, thankfully.

Btw also did 5k at avg 6.13/km, avg HR 124bpm, with Dilbert Og on his bike for company.

On the menu for tonight was 8x400m @5k pace. Of course I needed a bit of a warmup first so I ran from home and into a nearby industrial estate to see if there was a straight piece of road 400m long to use (was also keeping an eye out for a dog that's missing locally and was seen up around this area but no sign now). There wasn't.

Plan B was no better so plan C was a narrow rural road not too far away. Clocked it with the Garmin and it was just right - pretty flat, pretty straight and very quiet. Reached my start point at 3.78km.

Km|Avg Pace|Avg HR
    1|5.25|130
    2|5.24|133
    3|6.23|120
    3.78|5.42|126

Started into the reps - plan was run west @pace, run east to recover. Recovery was probably a bit long in retrospect but I wasn't sure what I'd done for 400's before so I stuck with the plan.

Distance|Time|Avg Pace|Avg HR|Max HR
    397m|1.23|3.31|149|163
    440m|2.33|5.49|143|163
    415m|1.30|3.36|145|161
    438m|2.26|5.33|144|161
    414m|1.30|3.36|152|165
    451m|2.42|6.00|143|167
    408m|1.28|3.35|156|167
    459m|2.35|5.38|148|167
    407m|1.26|3.31|158|169
    454m|2.34|5.39|149|170
    416m|1.29|3.34|158|168
    444m|2.32|5.43|149|169
    411m|1.29|3.37|158|170
    445m|2.35|5.47|150|170
    407m|1.23|3.25|160|177

Took it easy on the way home then:
    Km|Avg Pace|Avg HR
    11.2|6.01|142
    12.2|5.29|140
    12.5|5.27|133

Lesson for the next time will be to find a longer road - I have one in mind - and just run the recovery at the end of the 5k pace section, then turn around and do the same again in the opposite direction. So shorter recoveries between sprints. But given that I haven't done this kind of running in a good while, I'm not too unhappy with how I went.

5k + core for tomorrow.

Core work first - just settling into a routine there.

Then 4.93km, avg pace 5.47/km, avg HR 128bpm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Core work first - just settling into a routine there.

Then 4.93km, avg pace 5.47/km, avg HR 128bpm.
    All the cool people are doing it ;):D

If it's good enough for you K...

Obviously the same doesn't apply to morning running:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Nah nah nah nah nah, the key is core work after! :cool:;)

You running Pink Rock Dilbert? I'll be down spectating sunday...if not, fancy an LSR down round your parts after it?

blockic wrote: »
    Nah nah nah nah nah, the key is core work after! :cool:;)

You running Pink Rock Dilbert? I'll be down spectating sunday...if not, fancy an LSR down round your parts after it?

Did my first few sessions after - suited me better before tonight but could just as easily leave it to after if it's more useful.

Mrs D is running Pink Rock but I'm not. Will likely be spectating too but might be doing my LSR earlier rather than later - though that depends on how I get on at a BBQ on Saturday night and what family plans emerge for Sunday. Will let you know closer to the time, if you think you can run slowly enough.

• Advertisement

9.06km in 45.46 - avg pace 5.03/km, avg HR 141

40 min tempo run planned for tonight. Intended for around 10mins w/u, 20 mins of gradually increasing pace and 10 mins c/d.

km|avg pace|avg HR
    1|5.33|129
    2|5.31|131
    3|4.57|133
    4|4.33|157
    5|4.24|160
    6|4.11|152
    7|5.11|146
    8|5.32|139
    9|5.34|136
    9.06|5.46|127

3.5 -> 4.5km was up a pretty steep hill so by the same token 4.5 ->5.5km was downhill, so its was hard to keep the HR up without getting up to break-neck speeds. I'll probably pick a different (flatter) section of road for this training next time so I can control the effort better. I'm actually wondering if laps of a football pitch might be a good idea.

Advertisement