Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "what the hell do I call my training log?" training log...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Job done. 1.59.35 for 21.22km. At least some of the km markers were definitely out of sync with both our watches, which made it hard to judge the pace from km to km. Looks fairly even from looking at the watch - will download when I get home.

Good experience and many thanks to Belcarra for the company & guidance. Anyone who met their target today did particularly well - the heat was very tough, especially the second half when the breeze was behind us.

Well done. I was at the last water station coming off the beach. Well judged pacing which I'd expect can be even harder in those conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ncmc wrote: »
    How come they never made chocolate fig rolls? That could be delicious in a disgusting sort of way.... *Runs to pitch idea to Jacobs*:pac:
    upthe19th wrote: »
    Chocolate covered may be a bridge too far.....the beauty of fig rolls is the simplicity.

They're of the menu for a good while now. Going through a phase of peanut butter and raspberry jam at the mo. Would never have considered the combo, tried it, can't get enough of it.....feckin love it.

Hey you two - you want to be here.;) :eek:

Meanwhile back at the ranch.:D My Garmin data is here. Reasonably happy with the pacing but it could have been better. Couple of pinch points along the way and the lack of confidence in the exactness of the km markers left us with a few seconds to give back towards the end.

I tell ya one thing though - that's the most stressful run I've had in a long time. Anyone who's paced me before has made it look easy but today was a tough enough introduction, I thought. I know the current spell of warm weather is just about unprecedented in these parts but man it makes for difficult running.

Of course Runchick "I'm not racing - I'll just trot along with the 2 hour pacers" came over to say hello at the start and next time we saw her was before the turn and she was coming back towards us.:P And again at the end where she had the cheek to look as fresh as a daisy. Also thought I saw NCMC just before we met Runchick - suspected a sneaky entry on the QT - but it was probably her twin. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Cool, I have a long lost twin! Hope she was racing better than I have been lately ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey pacing looks spot on, well done! And congrats again to Mrs D - super running from her too :D

Runchick wrote: »
    Hey pacing looks spot on, well done! And congrats again to Mrs D - super running from her too :D

Thanks - Mrs. D was 13th woman. She had a shoulder-to-shoulder sprint to the finish with another woman - and then found that she had a better chip time by 1s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Job done. 1.59.35 for 21.22km. At least some of the km markers were definitely out of sync with both our watches, which made it hard to judge the pace from km to km. Looks fairly even from looking at the watch - will download when I get home.

Good experience and many thanks to Belcarra for the company & guidance. Anyone who met their target today did particularly well - the heat was very tough, especially the second half when the breeze was behind us.

Well done on the pacing job! At this rate, I'll be out of a job now and all the pacing will go to the younger generation. So much for Equality for the Aged :rolleyes:
    ncmc wrote: »

How come they never made chocolate fig rolls? That could be delicious in a disgusting sort of way.... *Runs to pitch idea to Jacobs*:pac:

They did do Chocolate Fig Rolls for a while. My Dad worked in Jacobs for years and used to bring home lots of bikkies, even some of the trial ones that never got launched. (which probably partially explains my photo on the the first page of my log. :o)

12.35km @5.00/km, avg HR 143bpm
    Yesterday's half necessitated my juggling around my plan a little - my 6.4km at HMP was to be deferred till today and my LSR was to have had 1/4 HMP as well. Figured I'd make up one of the two, or both in one, whichever way you want to look at it, this evening.

Day started badly insofar as I only got to bed at 4am - this time due to our oldest son having a bunch of his friends over for his 18th birthday :eek: I was to be the responsible adult :eek::eek:. They weren't too bad except from one girl - there's always one - who drank like a fish on an empty stomach and ended up doing the usual. :mad:

So up at 11 to tidy up before Mrs D and the little D's got home. Then off to the woods with the dog and home for dinner. With some Doritos. And dip. And wine. Watched tv for a while till I could put off going out no longer.

Decided on 3k to warm up, 6.4k at HMP and then 3k home to cool down. Cool down my backside - I live on the top of a hill: you don't cool down running home, no matter what your pace.

Anyway to cut to the chase - the splits were:
    km|avg pace|avg HR
    1|5.47|124
    2|5.42|119
    3|5.41|118
    4|4.15|146
    5|4.10|158
    6|4.16|159
    7|4.12|155
    8|4.11|162
    9|4.04|164
    9.4|3.59|167
    10.4|6.25|145
    11.4|5.51|145
    12.4|5.54|143

Apart from a bio-break that became necessary half way through the HMP section, it was non-stop and I was under pressure. When the HMP section ended I walked for about 30s and considered whether I should lie down and have a snooze :D but jogged it off instead. Less than another km up the road I thought I was going to hurl but paused for a minute and managed to hang onto my BBQ chicken. Overall satisfied enough I guess - it's another 12.4km in the legs. This summer thing we're having though is wearing a bit thin - August 18th better be cool and overcast or I'll be very bloody disappointed. Last thing I want to do is a Gavlor in my target HM.

Great session :D I hope you went easy on the girl at the party - at 18 I was most definitely 'that girl" :eek: Hey surely it'll be freezing by your half in August ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What's 'doing a gavlor'???!

The first time I show bit of sense in a race and now this!

Gavlor wrote: »
    What's 'doing a gavlor'???!

The first time I show bit of sense in a race and now this!

Too soon?

• Advertisement

I hope you went easy on the girl at the party - at 18 I was most definitely 'that girl" :eek:

Luckily for her she had been carried to a waiting car by the time I found out that it was the house she'd puked in, not the garden. Otherwise...

Too soon?

Oh you were slagging me?!

My bad, I thought you were going to try and run fast in clonmel, silly me ;)

Oh you were slagging me?!

My bad, I thought you were going to try and run fast in clonmel, silly me ;)

Too soon. Evidently.

Too soon. Evidently.

Not at all :) as they say, you reap wha

Crap, I did a dilbert and didn't finish :D

Ok, I'll get me coat

Crap, I did a dilbert and didn't finish :D

Ok, I'll get me coat

Hal Roach lives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭guinang

Hey Dilbert. Think I clocked you just before the race on Saturday, but I was late (as per usual) so was making my way to the start and didn't come over. Were you wearing a boards t-shirt?

Anyway, well done on the pacing.

guinang wrote: »
    Hey Dilbert. Think I clocked you just before the race on Saturday, but I was late (as per usual) so was making my way to the start and didn't come over. Were you wearing a boards t-shirt?

Anyway, well done on the pacing.

Thanks - that was me alright. You passed us around the turn and I said it to Belcarra that i thought it was you but you were gone at that stage.

7.81km in 47.19 - avg 6.04/km, avg HR 119bpm. Lovely evening for running - nice cool breeze.

Session!

My plan called for 3x1600 @HM pace. Meno's plan was calling for 3x3200 @HM-10m pace so I decided to go with that. Off work this week so I'm not sure exactly when I'll get to run later in the week - figured I should take the chance when I can.

Wasn't paying enough attention to watch for the first rep so ended up doing it too quickly but pretty much corrected it on the 2nd and 3rd.

Warm-up: 3.47km in 18.40, avg HR 125bpm

3.2km in 13.27, avg HR 156
    5min @5.34/km, avg HR 139
    3.4km in 14.39, avg HR 155
    5min @ 5.47/km, avg HR 139
    3.3km in 14.06, avg HR 155

Cool-down: 3.3km in 20.36, avg HR 136bpm

On a side note I've now surpassed my 2012 total distance run, which is a bit of a milestone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Session!

Meno's plan was calling for 3x3218m @HM-10m pace

FYP:pac:

Session!

My plan called for 3x1600 @HM pace. Meno's plan was calling for 3x3200 @HM-10m pace so I decided to go with that. Off work this week so I'm not sure exactly when I'll get to run later in the week - figured I should take the chance when I can.

Wasn't paying enough attention to watch for the first rep so ended up doing it too quickly but pretty much corrected it on the 2nd and 3rd.

Warm-up: 3.47km in 18.40, avg HR 125bpm

3.2km in 13.27, avg HR 156
    5min @5.34/km, avg HR 139
    3.4km in 14.39, avg HR 155
    5min @ 5.47/km, avg HR 139
    3.3km in 14.06, avg HR 155

Cool-down: 3.3km in 20.36, avg HR 136bpm

On a side note I've now surpassed my 2012 total distance run, which is a bit of a milestone.

Great session, you are in great shape, when's the next half?

menoscemo wrote: »
    FYP:pac:

And you said you didn't understand metric, you sly old fox...

Great session, you are in great shape, when's the next half?

Thanks - it's Clonmel on August 18th (I think).

I don't, but I do know that they were 2 mile reps and you gave the time for each - I can divide by 2 you know :P

I don't, but I do know that they were 2 mile reps and you gave the time for each - I can divide by 2 you know :P

That was directed at Meno - you don't think I'd (dare) call you old, do you? :D

That was directed at Meno - you don't think I'd (dare) call you old, do you? :D

Sure enough, you're probably not that brave :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hey, all I know is that when doing a mile on the track you have to stand 9 metres back on your first lap (in beer mile parlance, this is known as the 'transition area' ;)).
    Now if only they would make tracks 1/4 mile (or 402.25m) there would be no need for these calculations :D

Sure enough, you're probably not that brave :p

It's not about bravery - I just have more respect for my elders! :eek:

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Hey, all I know is that when doing a mile on the track you have to stand 9 metres back on your first lap (in beer mile parlance, this is known as the 'transition area' ;)).
    Now if only they would make tracks 1/4 mile (or 402.25m) there would be no need for these calculations :D

Yeah, yeah - the peer pressure makes you deny it but you know...

It doesn't help me that the local track is only 300m long.

Advertisement