Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "what the hell do I call my training log?" training log...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That's an impressive session, what time are you aiming for in Clonmel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

ncmc wrote: »
    That's an impressive session, what time are you aiming for in Clonmel?

p2100616%5Bekm%5D278x300%5Bekm%5D.jpg

You're lucky so that I'm crap at maths and/or don't understand KM's!

I seriously cannot do much more for ye imperialists than give splits for 1600m sections! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Nice one mile reps there Dilbert! :D;) Or 0.9999944 ..or whatever! :)

We done a very similar session tonight, mine was 11 with 4 @ LT.

I'd say you will be on for a great HM, be strict with yourself and stick to the plan.

• Advertisement

I wasn't sure if that was time per split or KM speed! I was thinking one was very fast and one was very slow! Fair play to you, I didn't realise you we're going for such a fast time. That's going to be some improvement in one short year.

Ah I'm not planning to do that pace for the HM - who do you think I am? Blockic?

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Ah I'm not planning to do that pace for the HM - who do you think I am? Blockic?
    Hmmmm.....
    Less than 3 weeks to the Clonmel half so I figure I should be a bit rigorous about sticking to my own plan till then, rather than trying to mix in some Meno plan and keep up with the marathon group.

So tonight was session night - 4x1600 at HMP with 1 min pauses. Started & finished with 3.2km warm-up / cool down. Used a road that's marked for 1600m so just went from one mark to the other.

1.6km times were
    8.36 & 8.17

8.36 & 9.15

A little bit faster than planned but sure no harm. All was completed to the constant amusement of a bunch of men and kids who were comfortably sitting on the bridge fishing from the river. :)
    I think you've turned into a secret speedster! Either that, or all this cycling has gotten to you and we're gonna have to test you for EPO :pac:

Do try and leave some cake for us slow coaches :o

No chance N. I'm just plodding along, same as ever.

Tonight I managed to dodge the showers and do 7.1km in a fraction under 40 mins, avg pace 5.39/km, avg HR 130bpm. Now for some foam rolling and core work!

Wussed out on my progression run last night - another late evening in work and it was raining biblically by the time I was able to go. So I did it tonight.

Plan called for 55 mins which I planned as:
    15mins @5.30
    10mins @5.05
    10mins @4.40
    10mins @4.15
    10mins @5.30

In practise I maintained the times and did the following distances @HR's:
    2.82km @131bpm
    1.96km @133bpm
    2.25km @150bpm
    2.54km @165bpm
    1.78km @139bpm

Nice evening for it too!

• Advertisement

The plan says 8k @ HMP so that's what I did tonight with 1km warm-up and 1k cool-down. Times as follows:
    1km @5.29/km, 120bpm
    8km @4.14/km, 154bpm
    1.13km @5.23/km, 146bpm

Started piddling rain when i was about 2.5km from home.:(

On the upside Mrs D found this attachment which amused me. Suffice to say the little Dilberts won't be travelling to Clonmel in 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

The plan says 8k @ HMP so that's what I did tonight with 1km warm-up and 1k cool-dn. Times as follows:
    1km @5.29/km, 120bpm
    8km @4.14/km, 154bpm
    1.13km @5.23/km, 146bpm

Started piddling rain when i was about 2.5km from home.:(ow

On the upside Mrs D found this attachment which amused me. Suffice to say the little Dilberts won't be travelling to Clonmel in 2 weeks.
    Good sesh and hopefully one I'll be able to get close to within the next couple of weeks.

By the sounds of things your 18 year old son will probably be holding the "Can I sleep over at Katies" sign!:pac:

belcarra wrote: »
    By the sounds of things your 18 year old son will probably be holding the "Can I sleep over at Katies" sign!:pac:

Lol - it's comments like that that make me glad he spends so much time on computer games!

Plan for today called for 2hrs running with last 30 mins at HMP. Rather than pounding the same old roads again I plotted a route around Hook lighthouse and it came to 24km - just about right.

Got there just before 1pm, meaning I was going to be just about empty as breakfast had been at 9. Not a cloud in the sky and the temperature gauge on the car read 24 degrees. Still feeling tired from having run fairly hard both Friday and Saturday. Hardly ideal but anyway.

First 5km or so were a bit of a pain - narrow roads and quite a lot of traffic in both directions meant I was ducking onto the margin quite often. After that the traffic thinned out but it got hillier. Found quite soon too that I should have brought my Platypus rather than my 500ml bottle, as I was getting through the water more quickly than expected. Used the last of it by 15km and planned to ask the first person I saw in their garden for a refill (rather than calling at random and being eaten by a dog) - but nobody was out!

Ended up finding a shop at 19km, after 2km of HMP, and getting a bottle of water there. Made the mistake of getting an ice cream too and this would soon come baeck to haunt me, just outside Loftus Hall ironically, when I pulled up with cramps in my left side. Ended up having to abandon the HMP and finish out the last few km at a more sedate pace.

Total for the run was 24.16km in 2.04.55, an average of 5.10/km, avg HR 144bpm. Total for the week was 72.6km.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Plan for today called for 2hrs running with last 30 mins at HMP

:eek: What plan is this? Rather you than me! Real tough one there.

Looks like getting an ice-cream is the new "in" thing out on a run! :D

blockic wrote: »
    :eek: What plan is this?
    Hal advanced HM plan.
    Looks like getting an ice-cream is the new "in" thing out on a run! :D
    Oh yeah - hard to beat it. Just don't do it in the middle of a HMP section. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Down in hook yesterday too lad. Forgotten how beautiful it was down there.

Im seeing loftus hall and stomach cramps in your post. The 160k event yesterday ran out of food at loftus hall before some of us got there.....Im adding 2 and 2 together here and getting 4....anything to say for yourself...;-)

Two things:
    1 - not guilty!
    2 - you obviously need to speed up :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Two things:
    1 - not guilty!
    2 - you obviously need to speed up :-P

In response to 1 - cctv is blurry, so you're off the hook this time
    In response to 2 - i already knew that, but dammit ya didn't have to point it out

Yesterday's recovery run got jettisoned in favour of 3 hours of driving and 7 hours with the kids in Clara Lara fun park. Spent pretty much the whole time walking, swinging out of ropes, rowing boats & kayaks, climbing cargo nets, etc. Great preparation for my next adventure race, you might say. :eek: It's left myself and the kids with aches in muscles we didn't know we had though!

So tonight was session night. As I mentioned the other day I'm going to try stick a bit more rigidly to my HM plan for the next 2 weeks till after Clonmel, even though I no longer have to worry about racing NCMC to the chocolate cake. :mad: Then I'm on to Meno's plan.

Plan called for 6x800@10k pace. As before I decided to do this on the local track and use the markers rather than the watch to measure. Jogged down to the track - 3.15km in 17.29, avg 5.30/km, 131bpm.

Then straight into the 800's with a 1 min halt in between. (I never did this standing rest before Meno mentioned it, always had a jogging rest, but find it easier to be consistent and push harder with this. In his honour I christened it the Meno-pause - I think it has a certain ring to it).

Times for the 800's were:
    3.12, 3.13, 3.12, 3.14, 3.14, 3.06
    with a 1 min Meno-pause in between.

Then it was home in 18.20, avg 5.45/km, 140bpm. Got bloody soaked - for the third successive time training on the track it lashed rain on the way home. :mad:

• Advertisement

Lifted from FB.

5km recovery in 29.48, avg HR 127bpm. Wrecked though.

Plan for tonight was a 60 min progression run structured and actual as follows:

Mins|Plan Mins/km|Actual Mins/km|Avg HR
    15|5.30|5.21|128
    10|5.00|5.02|136
    10|4.40|4.38|144
    10|4.20|4.14|155
    5|4.00|4.05|163
    10|5.30|5.24|139

Actually ended up going just over a minute over - I planned an out-and-back and a turn at half distance but then didn't exactly meet the planned pace so left it a bit long rather than a bit short.

Couple of things I need to change from here on. For a start I need to start going out running when I get home from work before I eat, because by the time I'm able to run without trouble it's too dark, especially for the longer runs where I've to venture off paths. Ended up running in the pitch dark - and the rain again - for a good chunk of tonight's run and it wasn't much fun. Already I miss those summer evenings.

In store for today was 5k at HMP so planned to do 4.15/km or faster to give myself a cushion. For a change I pulled on the spikes and went to a football field and ran around the outside.

Started with a warm-up of 1.2km in 6.16, avg HR around 134bpm. Then 5k with 1k splits as follows:
    4.06, 153bpm
    4.03, 156bpm
    4.07, 157bpm
    4.07, 158bpm
    4.10, 158bpm
    Then 1.8km to round out the 8km total in 9.22, HR around 140bpm.

Tomorrow calls for a 2hr run so will possibly run a HM route.

EDIT: Turns out I should have done another lap. My total logged since I started running is now 1999.65miles. Meh, I'll get it tomorrow.

For my 2hr LSR today I decided to recce the Oylegate HM route. Wasn't in good form at all and it was touch-and-go as to whether I'd find some excuse not to go.

In the end I summoned some HTFU and got the gear on. Parked at the GAA grounds at which it's based. Had the route set up on the Garmin (thanks to the boards.ie gps library) but the route was actually quite well marked from start to finish. Surface was a bit pock-marked in a lot of places.

The Garmin data showed a pretty severe drag from 10-14km, so I set out at 5.30/km, with the expectation that I'd lose some time on the hilly bits. This didn't turn out to be as bad as expected for the most part - 13-14km wasn't great but was followed by a nice downhill to recover. Most of the rest was unremarkable and the pace was fairly steady - I reckon a nice even pace is the way to go on this one, maybe with some freewheeling down the few hills.

Ended up finishing the 21.16km (stopped just inside the gate rather than going to the finish line location) in 1.55.39, with an average pace of 5.28/km and average HR of 133bpm.

If slow running helps you go faster then my recovery run tonight will surely help me break a 3hr marathon! Courtesy of a tired cocker spaniel and a daughter who insisted on running with me rather than cycling with her brother, I completed my 5.5km in a glacial 42.01 with an average HR of 109, which I think I reached lacing up my new (4th pair of) Brooks Adrenaline which I started breaking in tonight.

6x400@5k pace tonight. Set out to do them in the 4.10-3.50/km range. Then promptly ignored the watch. :mad:

So jogged to the track to warm up: 3.17km @5.15/km, avg HR 131bpm

Then 400m intervals from standing start in 1.27, 1.27, 1.30, 1.29, 1.31 & 1.30, with a Menopause between each pair of reps.

Home (up hill) @ 5.34/km, avg HR 136bpm.

Running in brightness again has been very different to recent weeks. For a start, the number of people who waved at me from cars and I've no idea who they were (I work in a factory with 900 people, a good number of whom would know me but I evidently don't know them:eek:). Just waved back to avoid insult but...

Tomorrow a short 3k recovery run & core, Thursday 30 min progression run and that's it till Sunday...

3.15km tonight in 18 mins odd, no idea of HR and too lazy to get up and check my watch.

This might be of interest to some of you: http://m.runnersworld.com/race-training/solving-5k-puzzle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Hey just wanted to wish you the best of luck for tomorrow - not that you need it - you're training is going so well (or at least I think it is - with all those strange km paces :confused:). So what's the target?

• Advertisement

Thanks A - hope your confidence is not unfounded. Aim is a pb (<1.38) but seeing as it's my first road race since GLR I just want to run well to the finish.

Advertisement