Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "what the hell do I call my training log?" training log...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Sitting here with my P&D book trying to figure a plan for the next 13 weeks to Limerick
    I think there's only 12 weeks to Limk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I think there's only 12 weeks to Limk
    Correct-ish - 12 wks and 5 days to be exact...

Tonight's plan is 13k with 6k at 10mP. Was hoping to get out of work promptly but got delayed and missed the last of the light. Now need to either identify a well-lit route or run to the track, do 20 laps and run home. Boring but might be the best.

13k done in 1.02 - avg pace 4.50/km, avg HR 148bpm.

Set it up as a workout on the watch so no 1km splits but paces for first 3.5k, middle 6k and final 3.5k were 5.16, 4.19 (target 4.27 but felt comfortable so kept it at that) & 5.17 respectively.

14k run tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Are you doing the Celtic link duncannon 10k in a couple of weeks??

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    Are you doing the Celtic link duncannon 10k in a couple of weeks??

Had planned to but my son has a music competition in Waterford so I've to go there instead. Probably going to do the Co Wexford Novice Roadrace on 17th instead.

You going to Duncannon?

Had planned to but my son has a music competition in Waterford so I've to go there instead. Probably going to do the Co Wexford Novice Roadrace on 17th instead.

You going to Duncannon?

Yeah I reckon so

Yeah I reckon so

Enjoy the hill to the finish... :)

Enjoy the hill to the finish... :)

I know!! I have unfinished business with duncannon following the drunken turkey burner back in december ;)

Yesterday's 14km done today in mostly daylight. Target range was 5.00 - 5.40/km, managed 5.11/km average, avg HR 138bpm.

Splits per km were 5.05, 5.06, 4.56, 5.14, 5.08, 5.02, 5.03, 5.10, 5.10, 5.05, 5.19, 5.29, 5.22, 5.17, 6.05

Next run due tomorrow 6km recovery. LSR on Sunday due to be 19km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Yesterday's 14km done today in mostly daylight. Target range was 5.00 - 5.40/km, managed 5.11/km average, avg HR 138bpm.

Splits per km were 5.05, 5.06, 4.56, 5.14, 5.08, 5.02, 5.03, 5.10, 5.10, 5.05, 5.19, 5.29, 5.22, 5.17, 6.05

Next run due tomorrow 6km recovery. LSR on Sunday due to be 19km.

What plan u doing dilbert?

Im on week 2 of 18 week p&d. did 13k @5.30 on the threadmill last night. also did 14 k on treadmill on tuesday with 10 x150m strides@3.45.
    First longer runs ever on threadmill and found it not too bad. what do people think of mixing in a bit of threadmill rumning when pissing rain on dark evening?

I was following Meno's plan up to the Dungarvan 10m but cut loose after that. With 13 weeks to the Limerick marathon, I decided on the P&D 12 week 55m plan - for the extra week I took a week out of the 18 week plan.

You aiming for Cork? Well done on the treadmill run - if it's too crap to run outdoors them a treadmill is grand and way better than skipping a run. I do prefer being outside though - but I don't have an option at the moment.

BTW, I'm not much of a one for dietary supplements but I've started taking Vitamin D tablets in the last 2 weeks or so. Maybe it's a placebo effect but I'm feeling much less wintry and miserable... maybe worth a try if you're feeling the effects of lack of sunlight.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

I was following Meno's plan up to the Dungarvan 10m but but loose after that. With 13 weeks to the Limerick marathon, I decided on the P&D 12 week 55m plan - for the extra week I took a week out of the 18 week plan.

You aiming for Cork? Well done on the treadmill run - if it's too crap to run outdoors them a treadmill is grand and way better than skipping a run. I do prefer being outside though - but I don't have an option at the moment.

Yep cork is the plan with aim to break the 4 hours. Have noted ur progress and on a similar path to where u were for dcm i think.however i seem to have found 9 min miles to be comfortable pace for all long slow runs recently( up to 14 miles anyway) maybe following meno plan over winter is paying off. lsr sunday with miles at mp. that would be 9 min pace for sub four. Not sure whether i should increase marathon pace miles in these runs and see if i can sustain it over longer distance later in plan. sorry bout the miles bits but too late for calculating metric for me!

Sounds good - but if you're aiming for a 9 min mile in the race, you should be running your normal LSR half to one and a half minutes per mile slower than that. It's counter-intuitive but it definitely worked for me last year.

Just put together my plan from start of Feb to Limerick Marathon - 880k of training (550m in old money) in 3 months :eek:

Attached is what it looks like.

Instead of the 8k recovery on 16/3 I'm thinking of giving the 6k BeachBog Run a shot - anyone ever try it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Instead of the 8k recovery on 16/3 I'm thinking of giving the 6k BeachBog Run a shot - anyone ever try it?

Looks like you would want to be careful you don't injure yourself on that run! :eek: Sprained ankles written all over it! 2 lads running in a river on the homepage..haha!

True - but I'd love to do one and it's nice and close. And only 6k.

Dug the spikes out and ran laps of a football pitch for my recovery run today. Target was 6k at 5.40 - 6.00/km. Actual was 6.5k at 5.44/km, avg HR 146.

1k lap paces were 5.48, 5.39, 5.44, 5.40, 5.39, 5.47, 5.54

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Are you doing many MP runs?

Just put together my plan from start of Feb to Limerick Marathon - 880k of training (550m in old money) in 3 months :eek:

Attached is what it looks like.

It looks a lot less daunting in miles!

• Advertisement

Are you doing many MP runs?

Think there are PMP sections in quite a few of the runs - not sure how many off-hand - but there's a right mix of plain old running and more session-type runs.

It looks a lot less daunting in miles!

I'm thinking of converting to light years for the next couple of months - it'll hardly feel like anything at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Just took a look at your plan for coming week. If you want company on sunday, give me a shout.

LSR for today was 19k with no raised pace - planned pace 5:20 ±0:20.

First off it was Daddy duty today so was in Arklow for a gymnastics competition from 10am (3rd place team = medal :D) and back to Ferns for the final of the Winter League (3rd place team = medal :D). While everyone was in stuffing their faces/defrosting and dancing away to the DJ, I embraced the opportunity to run on a different road and took off. And I didn't want to get home at 7pm and have to run for 90 mins. And miss Top Gear.

Twas cold enough - not helped by having been standing in a cold gymnasium all morning and beside a football pitch for another hour - and it was drizzly. Way out was ok - it felt like there was no breeze but was getting steadily wetter. Running ok - actually kept having to try slow down because I was going sub 5 min/km (8 min mile) which was too fast. Surprisingly I got from Ferns to just shy of the roundabout at the bottom end of the M11 before I hit half way. Once I turned I found the reason it felt so calm on the way out was that the wind had been behind me - and now it was in my face. Nevermind. Got back to Ferns tired, soaked to the skin, hungry & tired. On review, the 1km paces were:

5:06, 4.57, 4.55, 5.01, 4.58, 5.05, 4.56, 5.11, 5.00, 5.07, 5.04, 5.06, 5.05, 5.05, 5.05, 5.02, 4.59, 5.09, 5.06 & 6:22 for the last 20m! Obviously I was at the fast end of my target range all of the time. Data is here

Evidently I need to STFD if I'm to be getting the best value from my LSR's - by my reckoning 3:30 marathon pace is about 4:58/km, so I need to be down around the 5:20-5:30/km (8:30-8:45/m). That's actually a question for Meno that I must post on the regular thread - how do I correlate my marathon and 10m paces? In other words if my race pace from the 10m is 7:12/m and I LSR at 30-90s/m slower than that, does that mean I should be aiming to run a marathon at 7:12/m?

Plan for next week is:
    Mon: Rest
    Tue: 13k with 10x100 str
    Wed: 5k
    Thur: 14k
    Fri: Rest
    Sat: 8k rec
    Sun: 21k with 13k@PMP - this may include partaking in the Co. Wexford Novice Road Race on Sunday. It's only 6k but...

BTW when I got home it was dry and calm :confused: - would have been a lot easier in those conditions but anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

That's great running in difficult conditions C not to mention after a tiring day. Well done! You're really in great shape for Limerick.

Thanks N - I wasn't much in the mood for it alright but as it turned out it beat sitting in a pub watching Ireland getting beaten in the rugby surrounded by a hundred or so boisterous kids!

Week 6 total: 60.66km / 37.69m
    YTD: 307.22km / 190.9m

Compared to last year, I've done >1/5 of my 2012 52 week mileage in 6 weeks :eek: Big step up.

Just regarding yesterday's run and your concen over pace, why look to slow down a bit if you are relatively comfortable at that pace? Maybe for the 20 milers slow it a notch but if I were you i'd keep it around the 5.05. It'll give you great confidence going into limerick and make the sub 3.30 just a little easier.

And its KM's for cycling, MILES for running ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just regarding yesterday's run and your concen over pace, why look to slow down a bit if you are relatively comfortable at that pace? Maybe for the 20 milers slow it a notch but if I were you i'd keep it around the 5.05. It'll give you great confidence going into limerick and make the sub 3.30 just a little easier.

And its KM's for cycling, MILES for running ;)

An LSR should be run at the same pace regardless of whether it is 20k or 20 miles, however on the evidence of that run Dilbert, 3:30 looks like a very soft target, especially if the pace was truly 'easy'.

I see from the data that your Average HR for the run was 147, what would you expect to hold as an average for the marathon? What's your max?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure it was truly easy tbh - I was up against increasingly poor visibility on a main road, as well as drizzle and my family waiting for me back at the start - so I think I was subconsciously getting some extra HTFU, despite my efforts to resist it and slow down.

I'd expect my normal easy run HR to be more in the 120s. I think the peak I've ever recorded on my Garmin was 183 and in DCM I averaged 151 with a max of 170. In my only xc race in January I was in the 170 range all the way through the 6k.

Does that tell you anything more?

Advertisement