Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "what the hell do I call my training log?" training log...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I would tend to agree with Gavlor, realistically I don't think DCM would be an enjoyable experience for you. I think if it was someone else's log, you'd be advising them to give it a miss. If you did it and either exacerbated the injury or had a horrible race, I think it could really turn you off running. It's your call of course, but I think it would be a mistake to do it just to avoid dropping out.

TT car? Bike? Turbo trainer? We need more information!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'm pretty much resigned to that, to be honest, disappointing as it may be. Where I was at about 10% likely to do it, I'd say realistically it's now 5% or less. But sure we'll see.

TT is a turbo trainer - something to help me get some training in during the long winter evenings. I know it's the cycling equivalent of the dreadmill but what the hell - it beats doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

ncmc wrote: »
    I would tend to agree with Gavlor, realistically I don't think DCM would be an enjoyable experience for you. I think if it was someone else's log, you'd be advising them to give it a miss. If you did it and either exacerbated the injury or had a horrible race, I think it could really turn you off running. It's your call of course, but I think it would be a mistake to do it just to avoid dropping out.

TT car? Bike? Turbo trainer? We need more information!!!

Tough break Dilbert but at least you know the source of it now. I would agree with the others in saying that it is probably a non-runner now...get yourself right and start looking at Spring 2014 for a marathon, only around the corner! ;)

Actually now that you mention it being a non-runner, that did occur to me too - walking it, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    Actually now that you mention it being a non-runner, that did occur to me too - walking it, that is.

5 or 6 hours just to get a medal? Why would you bother. It'd be different if you hadn't done it before

• Advertisement

Gavlor wrote: »
    5 or 6 hours just to get a medal? Why would you bother. It'd be different if you hadn't done it before

True. It's just that, for some reason, this feels more disappointing than GLR. Strange but true.

It's going to be a weird feeling driving Mrs D in to the start on the day and driving away afterwards. We'd planned to run it together - for that read that I'd hoped to be able to keep up - so she's pretty disappointed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Disappointed for you Dilbert . I was nearly that soldier but think I have come back just in the nick of time to get a half decent effort in. Must be tough scheduling training at home with two marathoners in the house!:eek:

Good luck with the recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Sorry to hear about that Dilbert, it must be tough now dealing with the idea of missing out but as soon as DCM is actually over you won't give it a second thought, could be for the best to just get yourself right now, particularly with something as tricky niggly sounding. Easy for me to say that though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Runchick

Ah no, so disappointed for you...tough break indeed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

I'm pretty much resigned to that, to be honest, disappointing as it may be. Where I was at about 10% likely to do it, I'd say realistically it's now 5% or less. But sure we'll see.

TT is a turbo trainer - something to help me get some training in during the long winter evenings. I know it's the cycling equivalent of the dreadmill but what the hell - it beats doing nothing.

C'mon dilbert walk towards the light bike.

• Advertisement

upthe19th wrote: »
    C'mon dilbert walk towards the light bike.

Now now he's allowed the bike for a wee while but he'll be back where he belongs soon enough ;)

Was at the beach walking the dog earlier and had a little run. Felt grand so might try a bit more tomorrow. Mrs D said I actually looked happy when I was running - which I think means I'm a grumpy hoor when I'm not running. :(

Btw for anyone in the area who's interested, Wexford Tri Club have an open night on Wednesday next... [/stir]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Was at the beach walking the dog earlier and had a little run. Felt grand so might try a bit more tomorrow. Mrs D said I actually looked happy when I was running - which I think means I'm a grumpy hoor when I'm not running. :(

Btw for anyone in the area who's interested, Wexford Tri Club have an open night on Wednesday next... [/stir]

You do know that Triathletes are generally failed runners/cyclists/swimmers? [/stir]

menoscemo wrote: »
    You do know that Triathletes are generally failed runners/cyclists/swimmers? [/stir]

Check / not yet / not yet.

Runchick wrote: »
    Now now he's allowed the bike for a wee while but he'll be back where he belongs soon enough ;)

Not so sure Runchick.

Rumours abound that this guy was seen leaving dilbert's house with a copy of Gerry Duffy's book "Tick, Tock, Ten" under his arm....

darth-vader.jpg

It's a great book...

In the absence of much running, I've taken to doing Excel graphs.:eek:

In the absence of much running, I've taken to doing Excel graphs.:eek:

You've got waaay too much time on your hands

RedRunner wrote: »
    You've got waaay too much time on your hands

That's no maybe. It's easy though - it's all in Excel so you just select the data table excluding totals, choose a stacked graph and Bob's your uncle.... oh, sorry. You didn't want to know...

For possibly my last run of 2013, I decided to abandon common sense and run DCM. And, though it wasn't fast and it wasn't pretty, at least I've now finished one marathon this year! :D

• Advertisement

Wow, what happened there? Last minute turnaround. Fair play to you. Hope you're not suffering too much.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Wow, what happened there? Last minute turnaround. Fair play to you. Hope you're not suffering too much.

Ta. Very last minute. Mrs D was doing it anyway (3.28 btw) so we had to go to the expo anyway. And I'd have had to drop her in and collect her. And I'd have been going to watch it in between.

So I said feic it I might as well give it a go and see what happens. Fitness was grand but the legs weren't shy about reminding me how long it was since my last LSR. Still walking though, no blisters and all toenails intact so I call that a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Legend!

Ta. Very last minute. Mrs D was doing it anyway (3.28 btw) so we had to go to the expo anyway. And I'd have had to drop her in and collect her. And I'd have been going to watch it in between.

So I said feic it I might as well give it a go and see what happens. Fitness was grand but the legs weren't shy about reminding me how long it was since my last LSR. Still walking though, no blisters and all toenails intact so I call that a result.

Well done for getting through it unscathed and congrats to Mrs D on that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭dechol

What??? Fair play. I am out from a few weeks ago with knee and have to say I was very very tempted to run too! Well done.

For possibly my last run of 2013, I decided to abandon common sense and run DCM. And, though it wasn't fast and it wasn't pretty, at least I've now finished one marathon this year! :D

Fair play lad. I had feeling when i was talking to ye that evening that you might chance it alright. That auld "never say die" attitude strikes again.

Thanks J - suffice to say I won't be attempting to keep up with you on the bike this week!

Thanks J - suffice to say I won't be attempting to keep up with you on the bike this week!

Suck it up tri boy ;-). I have a session of hill repeats up sliabh coillte planned for us tomorrow....suppose we could push it to Wednesday :-P.

Alfa vs Skoda? That's the only way it's gonna happen!

• Advertisement

Brilliant!! Fair play C and pass on congrats to Mrs D :)

Advertisement