Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "what the hell do I call my training log?" training log...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Gavlor wrote: »
    I know this one, I think!!!

Predicted marathon pace ;) that's what use it for anyway
    :p:p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

I feel like a real runner now!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

PMP = planned marathon pace but predicted marathon pace is just as good. It also stands for practise makes perfect, though not in this case.

Anyway PMP is 4.58/km or 7.56/m. Same for you CM? (I know Gavlor is way ahead of up mortals).

Looks like my Jan was 207km, Feb was 270km.

Set out to do 6k recovery so said I'd bring the dog to the woods and get her exercise done too. Garmin obviously wasn't turned off when I put it on its cradle because it was dead as a Dodo. Had to run by feel - ended up being about 35 mins, which was about right, and not too fast. And Lexi enjoyed it too!

26k tomorrow with 16k at PMP.

In my quest for different roads to run on, I got the bus to Waterford this morning and ran home, taking the scenic route around Pink Rock on the way. Between running to the bus and home I covered 29km in 2.25. Will add Garmin data later to see how my 16k at PMP looks.

Now for tea and something solid.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    In my quest for different roads to run on, I got the bus to Waterford this morning and ran home, taking the scenic route around Pink Rock on the way. Between running to the bus and home I covered 29km in 2.25. Will add Garmin data later to see how my 16k at PMP looks.

Now for tea and something solid.

Once you get off the main road that's a nice run, I used it as a training spin when heading to hook head on the bike

It's lovely alright - clear road, quiet, etc. Could easily be persuaded to become a regular out there.

OK - Garmin data (from the bits that don't show my front door) is here. Obviously I was faster than my target 4:58/km for my 16k and was fast enough that my whole 26k averaged as faster than PMP. Total for today was 29k.

Week 9: 72.29km YTD: 511.12km

Downside is that my right knee is showing symptoms of the same problem I had with the left late 2012 / early 2013: ligament pulled. Need to get back to foam rolling regularly or I'm going to be in trouble.

On the upside Mrs D has run 4 times this week, including 8.5m today. So, after being out since the start of January, that's good.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

OK - Garmin data (from the bits that don't show my front door) is here. Obviously I was faster than my target 4:58/km for my 16k and was fast enough that my whole 26k averaged as faster than PMP. Total for today was 29k.

Week 9: 72.29km YTD: 511.12km

Downside is that my right knee is showing symptoms of the same problem I had with the left late 2012 / early 2013: ligament pulled. Need to get back to foam rolling regularly or I'm going to be in trouble.

On the upside Mrs D has run 4 times this week, including 8.5m today. So, after being out since the start of January, that's good.:D

Savage stuff big man. I would definitely held ya back today. Savage week done. Fair play.

upthe19th wrote: »
    Savage stuff big man. I would definitely held ya back today.

I doubt it. How did you go yourself?

• Advertisement

I doubt it. How did you go yourself?

Still out and about. Will post when home. About 8:28 pace for 15 miles. Really comfortable though even after pmp run yesterday. Should be good for next weekend if you're around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Getting the bus and running back. Great idea! Would never have thought of that myself! You'd get sick of the same roads week in week out that's for sure! Good run Dilbert.

Have had to can my 8k recovery run for tonight. Left calf quite sore but right knee is really sore, just in a single point near the top of the kneecap, so I'm going to go torture myself on the foam roller for a while. :( And hopefully the dog will resist the temptation to keep licking my face while I'm doing it. :eek:

Have had to can my 8k recovery run for tonight. Left calf quite sore but right knee is really sore, just in a single point near the top of the kneecap, so I'm going to go torture myself on the foam roller for a while. :( And hopefully the dog will resist the temptation to keep licking my face while I'm doing it. :eek:

When i get that knee pain c i can usually find a tight spot in the quad that's pulling on the knee. Might not be the problem in your case though.

Mind it. Need a good run from you next weekend.

When i get that knee pain c i can usually find a tight spot in the quad that's pulling on the knee. Might not be the problem in your case though.

Mind it. Need a good run from you next weekend.

That's exactly what I expect to find! I've been very lax on the old foam rolling since DCM and the extra mileage is showing that up now.

Plan is to be ready for Sunday. Have to find you a few more nice gentle hills...;)

Ganky evening for running this evening but sure it had to be done. Have been pummelling my right quads for the last few days to try relieve the sharp pain over my kneecap - it's been moderately successful, though normally for short periods.

Plan was 16k incl 5x1000 at 5k pace with 50-90% rests. Ended up doing 16.17km in 1.21.54 with avg pace of 5.04/km and avg HR of 143.

Knee was fine once I got warmed up but is hurting a bit now. More foam rolling before bed.

18km scheduled for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

It certainly was a horrible evening for running. The rain just got heavier and heavier in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I think it was extra horrible last night because we've been so lucky weather wise for the last few weeks, I'd *almost* forgotton how horrible it is to run in the wind and rain :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

That's what I was telling myself too...overall we've been lucky this winter. These thoughts motivated me for a good 100 meters. :)

• Advertisement

Run deferred - my 18k route requires me to be out running by 5.30 latest so I can get off the unlit roads and onto lit roads and paths before dusk - otherwise the risk goes up quite a bit. Even worse today was the grey mist that was around all day - visibility was going to be marginal at best.

Whatever the weather, work intervened. Boss requested a 10 min discussion at 5pm and I eventually got out at 6pm so I've now got to run tomorrow evening, Sat, Sun and Mon - at least Sat and Mon are recovery runs.

Run deferred - my 18k route requires me to be out running by 5.30 latest so I can get off the unlit roads and onto lit roads and paths before dusk - otherwise the risk goes up quite a bit. Even worse today was the grey mist that was around all day - visibility was going to be marginal at best.

Whatever the weather, work intervened. Boss requested a 10 min discussion at 5pm and I eventually got out at 6pm so I've now got to run tomorrow evening, Sat, Sun and Mon - at least Sat and Mon are recovery runs.

It must have been a day for it c. Missed my session again cos of work. Have 7 days in a row to look forward to now...yippee.

Got this from www.wholeworks.co.uk and their Facebook page - might be of interest to some of you.

Much more civilised evening for running this evening - bright and dry. Got out not long after 5 and got my 18k done at an average pace of 5.17/km, avg HR 139.

8km recovery tomorrow and hopefully out early enough Sunday - sounds like we can expect a turn for the worse in the weather next week. :(

Much more civilised evening for running this evening - bright and dry. Got out not long after 5 and got my 18k done at an average pace of 5.17/km, avg HR 139.

8km recovery tomorrow and hopefully out early enough Sunday - sounds like we can expect a turn for the worse in the weather next week. :(

Cold and dry with some snow?? That's the best type of forecast

Cold and dry - yes. Snow just makes poo of it all though.

Cos I'm geeky about such things, I decided to work out my HR zones per P&D:
    VO2 max /5k: 173-177
    Lactate: 154-169
    MP: 149-164
    Med / long: 138-156
    Gen Aerobic: 134-152
    Recovery: <145

All of this means I'm probably back to the situation of not running my hard runs hard enough or my easy runs easy enough. :( Will have to watch this.

Cos I'm geeky about such things, I decided to work out my HR zones per P&D:
    VO2 max /5k: 173-177
    Lactate: 154-169
    MP: 149-164
    Med / long: 138-156
    Gen Aerobic: 134-152
    Recovery: <145

All of this means I'm probably back to the situation of not running my hard runs hard enough or my easy runs easy enough. :( Will have to watch this.

I'm on the case...I'll be like a drill sargeant tomorrow.

So after all my fancy-Dan calculations of HR zones, I strapped on the monitor yesterday afternoon for my 8k recovery and found the battery was well and truly dead.:mad: Went to 5 shops - hardware, fuel stations, supermarkets, the lot - and none of them had the exact battery I needed (lots of other batteries but not the one I needed). So no HR data from this weekend for me.

Anyway, did my 8k yesterday afternoon - uneventful enough except I got soaked.:( 8.06km in 46:03 - average 5:43/km.

This morning it was out the country to UpThe19th's part of the world for 27km at LSR pace (5:20/km ± 0:20). Twas cold, wet & windy but it had to be done anyway. Started out fine and UpThe19th was true to his promise of keeping my speed reined in all the way round. After a while the rain dried up and the wind died down and the running was going well. As we got to the end of the first loop (13m) and started the second (4m) I was starting to feel the pressure. Thankfully UpThe19th was staying steady and it was just a matter of keeping up with him.

That got increasingly difficult as more cold wind & rain arrived and I was starting to feel increasingly miserable. By the time we got to the end I was pretty much spent - I think that's the first time I've got to the end of any training run where I was happy to just barely cover the target distance (in this case 17m/27.35km) and have a cool-down walk for the remaining couple of hundred metres. At that stage I was just feeling deflated - I ran the same distance last week 8 mins quicker and felt much better after it, despite having had less sleep beforehand. But as UpThe19th was quick to point out I've been clocking up the miles a lot more this year than ever before and to finish out a 27km run was a result in itself. (Thanks for the encouragement!). The total today was 27.35km in 2:23:56, average of 5:16/km.

Wk.10: 69.60km (43.25m) YTD: 580.72km (360.84m)

Just to UpThe19th's point, attached is a graph I've created of my cumulative distance run (in kms of course). When I'm being tough on myself I try to remember to look at this and how far I've come in the last year. And I'm sure most of last year's novices could say the same.

Next week starts tomorrow with a 5k recovery - hopefully the MapAlerter text I got from Wexford County Council is incorrect and we won't have those 3-8cm of snow overnight.:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Your graph is cool!!! There's some difference in the two years alright :D

Don't be getting disheartened about the run today. You're well due a bad one (and it wasn't even bad....ye's were motoring along at 8:30 pace) and the main thing is it's in the bag ;)

Advertisement