Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "what the hell do I call my training log?" training log...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Gavlor wrote: »
    Good running..... Looks like I'm gonna miss the 5k on Friday :(

:( - if it's any consolation there's a hoor of a hill in the middle - 1.5 laps of the route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    :( - if it's any consolation there's a hoor of a hill in the middle - 1.5 laps of the route.

How'd you get on??

How'd you get on??

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/293637524

Happy enough.

I'd bet you are!!

Sub 20?!! Great stuff. Judging by your hr you didn't leave much behind, you should be delighted

Thanks. I gave it my all alright. Really wanted to break 20 but wasn't sure till I hit the finish line that I did. Got an awful stitch coming up to 4k and really thought I'd have to slow down severely but managed to keep it going. Fortunately it started to ease around 4.5k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Great Stuff Dilbert.

Get yourself over here....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056856399

:D

Ah seriously. I have no place tackling those. Fantasy stuff.

Ah seriously. I have no place tackling those. Fantasy stuff.

Don't under estimate yourself!! You are alot closer to hitting some of those times than you think! Sure you have one knocked off the list now already!

blockic wrote: »
    Don't under estimate yourself!! You are alot closer to hitting some of those times than you think! Sure you have one knocked off the list now already!

+1

Welcome to the dark side ;)

You are topping the polls for the worst race report EVER award!!

Just thought you should know ;)

• Advertisement

Yay! Best chance I have of winning anything in this company :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Well done yesterday. Great time :D Jealous.com ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Fantastic running D, you smashed that sub20 no bother. Sub 19 here you come.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

tang1 wrote: »
    Fantastic running D, you smashed that sub20 no bother. Sub 19 here you come.

Yep. Big +1 to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

upthe19th wrote: »
    Yep. Big +1 to that.

Ha, bringing him back up to 20:00 again! ;)

Great running!

Was fair jealous of you running today fella, when i passed ya in the car.

You looked like you were flyin' it.

upthe19th wrote: »
    Was fair jealous of you running today fella, when i passed ya in the car.

You looked like you were flyin' it.

Really felt like I was rubbing salt in your wounds, I have to admit. Nothing worse than seeing other people running when you can't and want to.

Did just over 27k at 5.05/km avg pace, avg HR 143.

OK to keep Gavlor happy and make him feel like he was doing the right thing being off eating MaccyD's while I was slogging my guts around the grounds of WIT.:P

Started off being talked into doing this race by one of my colleagues and agreed because The Plan called for a race this weekend. Last time I did this one (two years ago?), it was 6k and started from just outside the sports centre, so we had to go up the big hill twice. Found that tough, as I wasn't running at all regularly or any great distance. In fact when I was running what I thought was quite fast a c.14 year old girl walked past me - like I was frickin' stopped! Granted it turned to be Kate Veale, who's now an international race walker but still....:o

Anyway this time, as you can see from the Garmin data, there was 1.5 laps of the same route. Was as nervous as hell for the day or so before. Mrs. D couldn't understand, said I'd nothing to be worried about. Doesn't matter - when you've a race coming up and you care how you do you'll be nervous.

Arrived at about 6:15 and registered ('cos online closed at midnight). Chatted with a few colleagues and went to warm up. Jogged up the big hill and started doing a few strides at the far side, followed by a few cariocas, high knees, etc. Jogged the first few hundred metres of the route and then back down. Quickly enough it was time to head off and the crowd assembled at the start sign. Stayed a few rows back from the front - I judged it on who was wearing racing flats or club vests and who was in ordinary trainers or t-shirts. I didn't mix with the flats / vests, even though I was wearing a vest myself (over a t-shirt thankfully because it was baltic).

Started bang on 7 and had to make some quick progress to clear the slower people in front. By the time we got to the top of the hill it was apparent that there was a group of people who were in or around the same type pace - not race winning pace but not too disgracefully far away (just less than 4 min/km). Clung onto this group. There was one guy who got to bug me later as he'd surge forward and then drop back and then surge forward again - could running at a steady pace really be so difficult?:confused: It appeared that he'd identified me as someone he wanted to finish ahead of but I was racing the clock, not him, so I let him do his own thing.

Out the gates and there was a long flat section followed by a left-hand turn down hill and onto footpaths beside a roundabout and along the footpaths (concrete unfortunately) until we got back to WIT. First 2 kms were dispatched in less than 4 min each (I was watching the lap pace on the watch). Then up the hill, around the roundabout and up the big hill. Kids were waiting for me on the big hill and shouted encouragement, badly needed as the watch had gone over the 4 min/km at this point, before I crested the hill. Short downhill section again before the turn back up the wooded hill for the last lap.

Pack was pretty spread out at this stage, only a couple of people around me. Was a bit of a struggle along the long straight and, although I was back on target, the downhill couldn't have come soon enough. Got down to the footpaths again pretty quickly but the pace was starting to kill me. Just passing the 4km mark and got a cramp in my right hand side, very similar to what I had coming up to RTE in DCM. Steward at the roundabout shouted encouragement and I told him I was struggling. "Not at all - you're flying" was his response, bless him. Was watching the pace on the Garmin and it was starting to creep over the 4 min mark. Around 4.5km the stitch started to ease and I resolved to just grind it out. Lungs were burning up though. Short uphill section from the roundabout to the turn-in and a down-hill section again. Wasn't really focussed on the clock time, just getting over the line and stopping my watch. As it happened, I had the same watch time as the official time - 19:35 - so my sub-20 was secured but I knew there was nothing I could have done on the day to be any faster.

Went for a jog back along the route to try get the breathing back and run the lactic acid out of the legs before I stopped for the tea. As it happens I was close to not getting any tea and the few biscuits that were there were pretty thin on the ground. On the + side the race was well marshalled and ran smoothly but I guess that is the most important thing. And I won a spot prize which I think is worth about the same as the cost of entry for myself & Mrs. D. :D

Mrs. D also ran and finished in a creditable 22:25 - her second quickest 5k despite having hardly run for 4 months and 10th fastest woman. Her foot's still sore though and she's not keen on going back to physio, acupuncturist or doctor as they've all failed to help so far.:mad: So if anyone knows a good doctor with interest in sports medicine, especially around these parts, please PM me.

Gavlor - hope I haven't bored you to death. Last time you tease me about a brief race report!:cool:

I'll read it over the next few days and revert back ;)

I'll read it over the next few days and revert back ;)

You want a race report? I'll give you a race report. That'll teach you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Got down to the footpaths again pretty quickly but the pace was starting to kill me. Just passing the 4km mark and got a cramp in my right hand side, very similar to what I had coming up to RTE in DCM. Steward at the roundabout shouted encouragement and I told him I was struggling. "Not at all - you're flying" was his response, bless him.
    How are you able to put a coherent sentence together :confused: I hate you :D

How are you able to put a coherent sentence together :confused: I hate you :D

In fairness "I'm struggling" wasn't a big stretch. Had he asked me for a sentence which contains all the letters in the English language then "the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs" would certainly have eluded me.

Did just over 27k at 5.05/km avg pace, avg HR 143.

BTW, I noticed I passed the half marathon mark at 1:47 today, even though I was holding back the best I could (missing my wingman and his supply of STFD). But that's 10 mins faster than I raced Wexford in last year. I'm sure we could all say the same - how far we've all come!

This weeks chart updated below.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

BTW, I noticed I passed the half marathon mark at 1:47 today, even though I was holding back the best I could (missing my wingman and his supply of STFD). But that's 10 mins faster than I raced Wexford in last year. I'm sure we could all say the same - how far we've all come!

Exactly!! I saw your post on the Big 10 thread....no reason to be so negative. With the current improvement curve (enjoy it now, it will last for another year easily) there is no reason you can't do a sub 1:30 half and a sub 40 10k this year.
    Given your obvious speed (from your intervals) sub 2:30 800m would be no problem either if you can find a race.

menoscemo wrote: »
    no reason to be so negative
    You'll no doubt have gathered by now that I don't see myself as anything other than a plodder, no matter what any times say. It's gonna be a struggle to change that.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Given your obvious speed (from your intervals) sub 2:30 800m would be no problem either if you can find a race.

Easier said than done! Haven't ever seen a race that short being run down here. Unfortunately the country track & field is on the same day as the GLR and I don't believe they have timing at them anyway.

You'll no doubt have gathered by now that I don't see myself as anything other than a plodder, no matter what any times say. It's gonna be a struggle to change that.

We are well matched for negativity anyway! :D

I'll be honest, I felt the exact same in Novemeber when I put 19:31 in the 2012 round numbers thread. I felt I never had much hope in getting any other one on the list.

However with consistant training that I have done in the last 6 months the times come flying down, as meno said, the initial improvement curve is steep. The only question is to when it plateaus, that's when it get's harder to make improvements.

I'm certain that if you keep the training up and consistant for another 3 months, you'll hit another 2 or 3 of those times and you can come back and tell me that I was right then! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

What he said ^^^

This weeks chart updated below.

This supply is for my own benefit more than yours, just much faster than me, feckin' speedster:D.

Don't worry, I'll be back soon. Still haven't completely given up on wexford.....yet.

11km done with 6x100m strides. 54 min, avg pace 5.09, avg HR 137. Windy as hell around here but thankfully staying dry so far.

Rest tomorrow, due to do 16km Wednesday with 4x1200 @5k pace with 50-90% recovery. That'll sort me out, especially if it's raining.

• Advertisement

Session done in the midst of a biblical downpour (ok I exaggerate slightly but it was piddling it down fairly consistently). Started off with 4k down to the track - average pace 5.05/km, avg HR 132bpm.

Got to the track & did another 1k to settle down before the 4x1200m with 2:15 rest (0:45 walk, 1:30 jog) in between. Had set up the session on my watch to aim for heart rate zone 5 with no target on my rest sections. Started off the first rep a bit fast - should have been aiming for 3:53/km to match my race last week but did the first 1200m @3:30/km. The other 3 reps were progressively slower, though 2nd (3:43/km) & 3rd (3:44/km) were still faster than, and 4th rep matched, the target speed. Garmin data here. Finished out the remainder of 8k @5:21/km, avg hr 132bpm.

Finally did the 4k home (avg pace 5:35/km, avg hr 141bpm).

Advertisement