Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "what the hell do I call my training log?" training log...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    I'll take your word for that Gavlor!

Damn straight......no pun intended :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Ok Feck it - I'll give this a go.

Nearly didn't do this race. Couple of late nights this week and was yawning my head off on the way down. Usual craic of feeling niggles before I started but put them down to nerves. Had kinda settled on a target of 42 mins, meaning 4:12/km - planned to aim for 4:10/km to allow some space. Got there in enough time, registered and went to warm up.

Start was late due to the large crowds that arrived - was around 7.20 when it got going. Started close enough to the front, just behind the racing flats and compression socks, on the crown of the road. Couple of hundred metres downhill to the N25 at the Holy Cross pub then left towards the ring road. Up on the path then left along the ring road to the next roundabout. At this stage I'd noticed that I was at sub 4 min pace. Tried briefly to trim it back then said feck it let's see what happens.

Off the path at the next roundabout and up the hill we ran down for the 5k 2 weeks ago - short but sharp. I knew the second time would be ok but the third time would be no fun. Crested the hill and it was a short distance to the next turn just past the start. 2 more laps to go - kids were on this section cheering like mad which gave me a boost.

Next lap was similar. Hit 5k in 19:50ish - only 15s behind my 5k time. If only I could do it all again - but sure I've plenty in the bag for a positive split and still meet target. Got stuck behind a group going up the hill the second time - took a moment or two for the hill to take its toll on a couple of them so I bided my time and dug the elbows in when a gap opened. Pushed clear of the group - so I would avoid the inevitable pebble-dashing I was going to get from one of them if I hung around - he was hocking every few yards, surely must have ended up dehydrated!

Second lap finished in 27-odd - one more to go. Starting to get tougher now. Felt like I'd shot my bolt too early. Still passing a couple of people though and still people passing me too.

Hill the third time was, as predicted, little fun. Lapping some slower runners now though - quite a novelty for me - and quickly I was at the top. Knew my 9k time was shy of 36 mins but not by how much. Spent more time at this stage watching the watch count down the metres than the road. Could see the clock with 39:xx on it and knew I was there. Crossed and stopped my watch at 39:40 - later the official result had me at 39:42, which is ok with me too.

Gonna try a table from my phone - let's see how this goes:
    km|pace|avg HR
    1|3.54|160
    2|3.58|165
    3|4.07|167
    4|3.52|169
    5|4.03|168
    6|4.07|168
    7|3.53|173
    8|4.00|173
    9|3.57|173
    10|3.48|178

Happy with that - had been planning to go for sub-40 in Kilmore in September but the box is ticked now. Actually the last time I ran a 10k was Enniscorthy in 2011 and my time was 50.28, so a major pb. 50th place overall out of 270-ish entrants.

Mrs D also had a good day out, setting a pb too with 44.03, which is a cracking run after her run of injury. She was 3rd in her category and 10th woman.

Results here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Good man! Hills and all... No sand bagging now for the marathon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭docjewel

I see you got your picture taken as well ;) (page 6 I think)

docjewel wrote: »

I've been getting dogs abuse - every photographer on the route seems to have gotten me. More pics of me today than Kim what's-her-name!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I've been getting dogs abuse - every photographer on the route seems to have gotten me. More pics of me today than Kim what's-her-name!
    I haven't seen any pictures. Do share poster boy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Small world, the lad in the Rotterdam t-shirt was sitting next to me on the flight home Monday! Don't see me racing 4 days after a marathon.

That kind of stuff is far too much too soon. :pac:

I haven't seen any pictures. Do share poster boy ;)

Give it a fortnight K - you'll be sick of the sight of me.

blockic wrote: »
    Small world, the lad in the Rotterdam t-shirt was sitting next to me on the flight home Monday! Don't see me racing 4 days after a marathon.

That kind of stuff is far too much too soon. :pac:

I see sosa from boards came 3rd in this race & he ran Boston on Monday,really is madness :-D

Btw you've some memory. No Boards shirt even.

Was anxiously reviewing all of the photos I know about and not seeing my gait in a very favourable light until I got to page 12 of that lot where some attempted improvements look more evident. It's not easy change your gait but apparently worth the effort if you can increase your running economy.

• Advertisement

I see sosa from boards came 3rd in this race & he ran Boston on Monday,really is madness :-D

Now that IS mad.

Btw you've some memory. No Boards shirt even.

Was anxiously reviewing all of the photos I know about and not seeing my gait in a very favourable light until I got to page 12 of that lot where some attempted improvements look more evident. It's not easy change your gait but apparently worth the effort if you can increase your running economy.

I hadn't seen the pictures on page 12......posing for the camera while running:D:D:D:D wait till c_m see's them:D:D:D:D

I get what you say about the gait,I'm not very good at running downhill but during easy/recovery runs I've tried to introduce a bit of chi running style(not easy when tired) but have found in 2 races this year I've felt that my downhill approach has changed in that I've been able to attack & take advantage of the downhills,maybe some of its in the mind but will take every improvement going.

On another note I was looking through the results,I don't know if you realise how good a time that was,you've come between 3 & 4 minutes faster than some runners that I am aware of & have ran recently sub 3:30 marathon times.
    I'm not trying to change your approach to Limerick,you have your mind set & IMO you should stick with it but if you can keep putting the time into marathon training & maybe the experience of a few more marathons,you can really have a serious crack off a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

On another note I was looking through the results,I don't know if you realise how good a time that was,you've come between 3 & 4 minutes faster than some runners that I am aware of & have ran recently sub 3:30 marathon times.
    I'm not trying to change your approach to Limerick,you have your mind set & IMO you should stick with it but if you can keep putting the time into marathon training & maybe the experience of a few more marathons,you can really have a serious crack off a marathon.

great point.... I think it should give him a lot of confidence to hammer the pb in limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

I hadn't seen the pictures on page 12......posing for the camera while running:D:D:D:D wait till c_m see's them:D:D:D:D
    A poster boy AND a cheerleader.......is there no end to your talents :eek:

A poster boy AND a cheerleader.......is there no end to your talents :eek:

Unfortunately there is...

Ok so after my exploits on Friday night I had a 6k recovery to do yesterday, which I did in new runners (3rd pair since the start of my DCM campaign last June). Same model, different colours so I can keep better track of how far I've run in them. Anyway it was a pretty uneventful 6.12km at 5.20/km, avg HR 135bpm.

Today's long run was to be 26km (or 16m for the imperial among you). After a morning spent cheerleading at the Wexford HM I got a bite to eat and a cup of tea. Was going to head straight out but decided to have a 15min Kimi to make up for some more lost sleep caused by my noisy neighbours. :( Headed out about 4pm to do the reverse of the route myself and UpThe19th did several weeks ago. Felt tired still but anyway. Straight away I noticed it was warmer than any other time I'd run recently and I hadn't brought water. Dope. Long story short I ended up doing 26.5km in 2.17, which is an average pace of 5.11/km, avg HR of 141bpm. Was absolutely parched by the time I got home - at one stage I was even having notions of going all Bear Grylls (sp?), which wasn't pretty. Another one off the list. Need to start making a special effort to get more sleep for the next 2 weeks. Rest, more than miles, is the priority now.

Plan: 11k with 8x100 strides
    Actual: 11.46k with 8x100 strides
    Avg pace 5.12/km, avg HR 133

Found this tough, probably as tough as the long run yesterday. Feeling very tired mentally and I probably wasn't helped by having eaten dinner an hour before I went out, so was feeling a bit leaden. Actually feel a bit guilty about not enjoying it because it was the nicest evening for a run since probably September - warm, bright sunshine, gentle breeze. Got the first 6.5km done on the way to the track, strides done there and then home - in fact the strides seemed to do me good, because I was feeling better after than before.

Anyway it's done now. Tomorrow is a rest day. Plan for Wednesday is something like 13k with 3x1600 @5k pace and 50-90% recovery. Don't fancy doing that on the track but maybe I'll find a flat piece of road a mile long somewhere local (some chance around here!). Depending on the energy levels I might trim it back a bit either - more to lose than gain at this stage.

Anyway it's done now. Tomorrow is a rest day. Plan for Wednesday is something like 13k with 5x1600 @5k pace and 50-90% recovery. Don't fancy doing that on the track but maybe I'll find a flat piece of road a mile long somewhere local (some chance around here!). Depending on the energy levels I might trim it back a bit either - more to lose than gain at this stage.

I dropped this one off in my plan and instead opted for 8 miles with 4@PMP I felt at that stage of the game it was more beneficial for me. Something to think about if you decide for an alternative.

You'll have to do your own metric conversion's on that though! :D

blockic wrote: »
    I dropped this one off in my plan and instead opted for 8 miles with 4@PMP I felt at that stage of the game it was more beneficial for me. Something to think about if you decide for an alternative.

You'll have to do your own metric conversion's on that though! :D

I concur

I like that idea. That's still 13k but less intense. Thanks guys.

• Advertisement

OK - just over 13k done tonight with 3k to warm up (not that awful slow), 7k at (or slightly below) PMP (whatever that is) and 3k to cool down (again not awfully slow). Avg pace over the run was 4:57/km, avg HR was 143. Felt ok once I was moving but had some digestive cramps which I hope are related to the mayhem that I call work. If not watch out anyone around the 3:30 pacers in GLR.

Good news: my Garmin has downloaded again. No idea why but it's working again. Yay.
    Bad news: before I went on my run I found that my new work shoes (Ecco - supposed to be bloody comfortable) have given me a blister on my heel, so I've a Compeed on it. And my old ones are gone in the bin. Last thing I need a week before a marathon. Also having some toenail anxiety about my Dungarvan black nail which is perilously close to parting company - don't want it to be sore for the day.

Missed my 8k with 6x100 strides last night due to a clash with another commitment. Gonna can it and just look forward to an easy 19k tomorrow.

On a side note, Mrs D came 3rd in the County Senior Road Race last night, pipped by 5s to 2nd place. 3rd county medal for her in 3 years.

19km due for today with no extras. There was a charity 10k (actually 9.34km per my Garmin) run happening at 2pm so I went for a wee jaunt beforehand and then lined up to run in that - not racing, I hasten to add. Ran home afterwards (2k). Total was 20.01km, avg pace 5:07/km, avg hr 143bpm, bringing my YTD total to 1026km up to the end of week 17. It was week 36 last year when I hit that distance - I was going from a standing start but still a big difference.

Planned for 10k last night but did 9.5k instead. Spent just over 49 mins doing it, so avg pace of 5.13/km, avg HR 137bpm.

Scheduled to do 11km tomorrow with 3km @PMP and 8km on Friday with 6x100 strides. However I've a rub-down scheduled with Physio tomorrow evening and possibly Dad's taxi on Friday evening so I'll prob try get out for a jaunt on Thursday instead of both of those.

6k due on Saturday - real slow - so I'll probably do that on Saturday in Limerick when I arrive, stretch the legs after the journey.

Then there's just Sunday to deal with...

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

The very best of luck in limerick chief. The work has been done, enjoy!!!

Second last run of the campaign done. Planned to do 11k with 3k at PMP from last night, thereby omitting the scheduled 8k for tomorrow. PMP is planned to be 4.57/km (3.30 pace).

Started off handy enough and felt good. Rather than watching the Garmin all the time I ran to feel. Km 2 and 3 are downhill so they were faster than target but easier with HR of 148 & 130. Turned up the wick then for kms of 4.51, 4.46 & 4.35 with HR of 145, 153 & 152. Backed off to 5.05 but when I thought I'd got it under control it went back to 4.57, then 5.14, 5.06, 5.01 & 5.03 pace for the last 3.2km. Admittedly they were faster than planned but they felt good.

So good that bad angel was sitting on my shoulder telling me my GLR target is too conservative and I've another 10 mins in me. Darned bad angel. :(

Second last run of the campaign done. Planned to do 11k with 3k at PMP from last night, thereby omitting the scheduled 8k for tomorrow. PMP is planned to be 4.57/km (3.30 pace).

Started off handy enough and felt good. Rather than watching the Garmin all the time I ran to feel. Km 2 and 3 are downhill so they were faster than target but easier with HR of 148 & 130. Turned up the wick then for kms of 4.51, 4.46 & 4.35 with HR of 145, 153 & 152. Backed off to 5.05 but when I thought I'd got it under control it went back to 4.57, then 5.14, 5.06, 5.01 & 5.03 pace for the last 3.2km. Admittedly they were faster than planned but they felt good.

So good that bad angel was sitting on my shoulder telling me my GLR target is too conservative and I've another 10 mins in me. Darned bad angel. :(

It's a big jump from your previous marathon time. For what it's worth, I wet with the 3.30 pacers for the Waterford marathon last year and stuck with them till mile 22 when I felt strong enough to kick on. I finished at 3.26 and enjoyed every minute of it. If I were u I'd follow a similar race plan.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Your target is definitely very very conservative. Your race times and easy training paces (not much slower than MP for easy runs) suggest a marathon a hell of a lot faster. Your 10k time is faster than what I did 2 weeks before London :o

All that said, I understand what you are targetting based on the fact that your only previous Marathon was 3:54 and 3:30 is already almost a min/mile faster. So I would say go for that 3:30 but don't be afraid to pick it up from 18 miles on if you still feel that pace is easy, you can still knock a fair chunk out of 3:30 over the last 8 or so miles.

Good luck and hopefully catch up on Sunday..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Being mrs ultra cautious as you know, I would echo what Gavlor and Meno have said, go out with 3:30 pacers and push on a bit at mile 18/20 you could knock 5-6 mins off the 3:30 time following that strategy. I think it would lead to a more enjoyable race.

But go with what feels right on the day. Based on all your hard work and your race times, I think you definitely have early 3:20's in you.

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    All that said, I understand what you are targetting based on the fact that your only previous Marathon was 3:54 and 3:30 is already almost a min/mile faster. So I would say go for that 3:30 but don't be afraid to pick it up from 18 miles on if you still feel that pace is easy, you can still knock a fair chunk out of 3:30 over the last 8 or so miles.

Good luck and hopefully catch up on Sunday..
    Gavlor wrote: »
    It's a big jump from your previous marathon time. For what it's worth, I wet with the 3.30 pacers for the Waterford marathon last year and stuck with them till mile 22 when I felt strong enough to kick on. I finished at 3.26 and enjoyed every minute of it. If I were u I'd follow a similar race plan.....

Best of luck Sunday C, you'll breeze it! You have come on leaps and bounds over the last few months.

I agree with both of the above, Stick with 3:30 and if feeling good with 6 or 7 miles to go, up the ante and power through for an impressive negative split! :cool:

Hopefully see ya Sunday.

Advertisement