Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caesar Dressing

Options
  • 29-01-2013 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭

Hi

I made this tonight for my salad for lunch tomorrow and it is very strong. I don't know what the strong taste is, I am assuming the parmesan but I can't be sure.

http://www.onceuponachef.com/2010/08/caesar-salad-dressing.html

Any ideas on how I can make it a bit less strong? Would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I wonder if it's the anchovy paste, but as far as I know 1 tsp of it isn't gonna make it that strong as you describe, although I've only used anchovies in cans rather than paste.
    Or Could be the worcestershire sauce? The recipe I normally use doesn't include this.
    The thing with Caesar dressing is, it's strong and super salty when you taste it on it's own, but once dressed on salad it mellows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'd imagine the strong flavour is caused by the Dijon and Worcestershire sauce and the only thing I can think of is to add a whole lot more mayo to dilute the flavour, but if that doesn't work you'll just have wasted more ingredients. Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

I think it is a combination of all ingredients.
    A well made Caesar dressing has per definition a strong taste. And that is why I love it so much, but I believe it's not to everyone's taste.

This is my recipe, and it's not for the faint hearted.;)

Ingredients
    • 1 clove of garlic, peeled
    • 1/2 tbsp mustard powder
    • juice of 1/2 lemon
    • 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
    • 1 coddled egg (*)
    • 1 tin of anchovies
    • 3 tbsp olive oil
    • 5 tbsp sunflower oil
    • 3 heaped tbsp freshly grated parmesan
    • seasoning (salt and freshly cracked black pepper)
    • shavings of parmesan
    • croutons (**)
    • cubed cooked chicken (***)
    • romaine or iceberg lettuce
    (*)You coddle an egg by dropping (you know what I mean ;) ) it with shell in water that has just boiled. Leave for one minute. Take it out and leave to cool.
    (**) Croutons, made from sliced and cubed bread. Either fry in a pan with some oil or spread them on an oven tray and toast them in the oven.
    (***)The chicken can be blanched, panfried or leftover roast chicken. I had fillet of chicken (our home grown) which I dowsed (when cubed) in a marinade. Juice of 1/2 lemon, splash of olive oil, thyme, rosemary, oregano, salt, black pepper, garlic powder,paprika and a pinch of cayenne. Then shallow fried in a pan. hm-hm.

Preparation
    • In a jug/beaker, put the garlic, Worcester sauce, lemon juice, mustard, coddled egg, 1/2 of the anchovies.
    • Use a hand held blender and blend till smooth.
    • Add the oil and blend again. You should have a creamy consistency.
    • Now step away from the blender and add the grated parmesan.
    • Season with salt and pepper.
    • That's your dressing ready.
    • Rip the lettuce leaves in large pieces toss with the dressing (only just before serving), croutons, slivers of the anchovies, chicken and finish with the shavings and more black pepper.
    • Whoah !
    IMG_4955.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Thanks for the replies, I would say that the strong flavour it the dijon and the worcestershire sauce too, but I dunno for sure.

I mean, I know caesar has a strong taste on it's own, but even a tiny bit (half a pea size) I get a nausea feeling for a minute, it's that strong. I've had plenty of other caesar dressings, and none have given me that feeling or been this strong.

Could any post any recipes for it? I know LaChatteGitane posted her, but wouldn't mind trying a few others too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While on the subject of cesar salads I wonder if anyone else has the same problem as me when eating cesar salads out. (I tend to order them quite a lot when I'm working on the road as it is often the only lighter option if I don't want a big dinner or something deep fried.)
    Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, a cesar salad should have parmesan shavings but more and more places top the salad with grated parmesan. Just not the same at all:mad: I've even been served one with grated shavings when the menu specifically described parmesan shavings.

Anyone else have any feeling on this matter?

OP, sorry I've never made cesar dressing at home so I can't help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

This is adapted from Barefoot Contessa's caesar dressing to her Caesar Club Sandwich recipe. It is really salty to taste but once mixed with crunchy romaine lettuce, the flavour just seems perfect:

1 large garlic clove, chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    2 anchovy
    1 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    1/2 cup good mayonnaise
    1/2 cup Parmesan shavings

Place the garlic and parsley in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until minced. Add the anchovy, mustard, lemon juice, and mayonnaise and process again to make a smooth dressing. (Refrigerate the Caesar dressing if not using it immediately.)
    Dress the salad and sprinkle Parmesan shavings on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

While on the subject of cesar salads I wonder if anyone else has the same problem as me when eating cesar salads out. (I tend to order them quite a lot when I'm working on the road as it is often the only lighter option if I don't want a big dinner or something deep fried.)
    Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, a cesar salad should have parmesan shavings but more and more places top the salad with grated parmesan. Just not the same at all:mad: I've even been served one with grated shavings when the menu specifically described parmesan shavings.

Anyone else have any feeling on this matter?

OP, sorry I've never made cesar dressing at home so I can't help you.

I have noticed the grated cheese more and more. It is getting very hard to get a decent caesar salad when eating out.

Advertisement