Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De Facto visa queries

Options
  • 29-01-2013 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I've posted this on the legal discussion forum, but have been advised to use this forum as well- add to that that I'm a boards.ie total newbie and just learning the ropes :)

Myself (Irish) and my NZ boyfriend are in the process of applying for a de facto visa for him to move to Ireland. We've gone through the usual rigmarole using inis and a useful website, migrantproject.ie, however I have a few questions regarding the process. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. We have lived together for the past 4 years, have joint bank acc/tenancy agreements/proof of relationship etc, so that part shouldn't be an issue with any luck.

My queries are as follows:
    I am currently at home in Ireland; James is in New Zealand.
    1) Should he be here while he applies for the visa or does it make a difference?
    2) Copies of current and previous passports are required- can he send a colour photocopy of his current passport (and is this legal?), and if immigration require the actual passport, do they usually send it back once the application is accepted, so he can travel on it?
    3) Can he enter Ireland while the application process is underway and get a temporary stamp 4 until a decision is reached? It is likely that if he were to do this, he would come on a one-way ticket, on the presumption that the de facto visa would be accepted; would this be accepted by immigration at the airport?!

My other query is if there are fees involved with this process? I have lived in NZ for the past 6 years and have gone through many visas- working holiday, extended WH, residency etc, which have always demanded some payment. There is no information about potential fees involved with the Irish de facto application at all.. which rouses suspicion..!Maybe I'm too cynical

Thanks in advance for any help or answers provided,

C

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

chich wrote: »
    Hi,

I've posted this on the legal discussion forum, but have been advised to use this forum as well- add to that that I'm a boards.ie total newbie and just learning the ropes :)

Who advised you to post something as off-topic as this in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 chich

Sorry, a message popped up on my page saying something along the lines of certain posts may not be displayed fully due to me being a new member, to cut down on inappropriate material etc being posted, and to try the newbies and FAQ forum. Apologies for the inappropriateness; there didn't seem to be a topic or theme as such to this forum, just people like myself looking for a bit of help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm not sure what message you're referring to, but it seems you've misinterpreted it. N&F is just for those learning to use the site, and not for questions such as this.

Advertisement