Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldest pony\horse in Ireland?

Options
  • 29-01-2013 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm just curious - my old pony is 33 years old this year, and I'm just wondering do people know of any older horses or ponies out there? I got her in 1989 when she was 9 and she's still going strong. My daughters take her out now and again just mostly walking. But the last time we took her out she was in great form and wouldn't even walk for for me as i led her along!!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

There was a school horse is my local centre. He was 28 when I started riding him, about 5 years ago. He was put into retirement at the start of 2012 though, not sure if he's still living

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gra456

hi know a pony who is 30 in GLENCULLEN ,STILL BE RIDDEN WELL.ONLY WAY U WOULD KNOW HE WAS OLD IS BY HIS GREY HAIRS ON FACE.SUPER PONY:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Years ago I rode in a yard in North Co. Dublin. There was a big dun Connemara called Ricky who was 33 and still ridden by small children and did Riding for the Disabled. I don't know what age he lived to as I moved yards.

Also in Thornton Park there was a pony called Jeremy I learned to ride on in the early '90s and he was in his late teens/early twenties then. I was in TP a few years ago (around 2008) and saw on their noticeboard that he had recently passed away so I would guess he was well into his 30s.

My current yard has a good few oldies, the oldest I know there is 31 but there could be others that are older. They're not ridden anymore. There's a couple of ponies between 23 and 28 that still do RDAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I know someone who has a 31 or 32 year old TB, which is very old for a TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

There is a pony in a riding school near us that's 36.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I knew one that was close to 40 when he died. Sounds like an exaggeration but with past owners we could count back the years as so many people had ridden him. Even the vet was astounded by him.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

wow, amazing how old they can get!
    u have any pics of the lil oul pony? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

ah its lovely to hear that some are such loyal animals right
    its amazing to think of how many people a riding school pony taught to ride

they are utterly forgiving time and time again and they are worth their weight in gold and a bit more !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Clogsworth

The yard i ride in had a pony aged 42, she was put to sleep this winter as it was too much for her. She had been ridden up until 5 years ago when she was put into retirement after taking a turn. The vet didn't expect her to survive more than a month or two after that but she had a great five years in retirement until this winter when she couldn't keep any condition on her.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

42!!!!! Are you serious?! Really - are you sure about the age?! Amazing..... that could mean that my girl has a few more years in her yet! Thanks for all the replies everyone - it's great to hear to so many old ponies on the go well into in their 30's and beyond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Ah_Yeah

Not a pony/horse, but here is the oldest equine in the world, Flower the Donkey:
    Born in 1941, Flower is Both the World's Oldest Donkey & Longest Lived Equine.

24277_346355682143287_1000973195_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Clogsworth

eorna wrote: »
    42!!!!! Are you serious?! Really - are you sure about the age?! Amazing..... that could mean that my girl has a few more years in her yet! Thanks for all the replies everyone - it's great to hear to so many old ponies on the go well into in their 30's and beyond.

Yep certain about her age. Her owner got her as a four year old and had her until she died. She was a great pony, tough as old boots, i don't ever remember her being sick until she took the turn that put her into retirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Advertisement