Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South America for 4 weeks- Chile, Bolivia, Argentina, maybe Peru

• 29-01-2013 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to South America for the month of July. I was hoping to fit in Chile, Bolivia, Argentina and maybe Peru if possible. I have a friend who lives in Santiago so have free accommodation in Chile which is a huge plus.
    Return flights to and from Santiago are about 1000e which is much much cheaper compared to one-way flights going into Santiago and leaving from another destination (Lima, Buenos Aires etc).

Here is what I was wondering:
    What is 'must see' sights and cities in these countries?

Would going up to Peru be a bit of a stretch on this trip? Will I be too pushed for time trying to get back to Chile for my return flight?

Is it worth booking a flight out of Lima or another city rather than travelling back to Santiago to get my return flight?

Approx cost (living and tour costs) for the four weeks?

I'd really appreciate any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

I think it's doable to see the highlights of these 4 countries in 4 weeks BUT it will mean moving on every second day or so. By taking night buses you'll cut down on your costs and increase your sightseeing time.

Santiago - northern Chile into Peru - Nazca - Arequipa - Cusco - Puno - into Bolivia La Paz - Uyuni (Salt Flats) - Atacama Desert - Salta - Buenos Aires - (maybe a very quick trip to Igazu Falls) - Mendoza - Santiago.

You need to calculate the difference in price between getting a flight home from BA or Lima with the costs for the extra days it will cost you to get back to Santiago.

Also July is Winter so the Mendoza to Santiago passes can be closed so you need to make sure you don't leave yourself short of time to get back to Santiago for your flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Fieldmouse

Winter in Santiago doesn't offer much more than skiing a couple of hours from the city. Since you have a friend there, he can set you up to see what there is to see.

4 weeks is a really short time to cover the countries you want, even taking some flights. From Santiago to the northern border with Perú is nearly 30 hours on a bus. I think that if you want to see Cuzco and Machu Pichu, although it is the best time of year to go, you need a week just for that and you need to do some flying. Like all iconic destinations, it is expensive to go there.

The north of Chile and Argentina will be the warmest spots. You could do a bus (hey, only 24 hours!) to San Pedro de Atacama in northern Chile and do a round trip visit to the salt flats in Bolivia from there or there are buses 3X a week to Salta in northern Argentina. Buenos Aires is too much of a stretch with the time you have but you have time for the NW of Argentina.

Bolivia is very cheap, Perú (excluding Cuzco/MP) is more expensive but reasonable, Chile and Argentina are expensive (unless Argentina devalues before July). In Chile you would need 50-60 US dollars a day for food, lodging and incidentals, not counting long distance bus travel. In Bolivia you could probably get away with half that.

I would choose: northern Chile and Argentina and Bolivian salt flats from San Pedro OR Santiago to Lima on Sky Airlines (Arequipa or Lima) and do Cuzco/Machu Picchu from there add in the Colca Canyon or lake Titicaca. Sky will only sell you a return ticket, so you would have to fly back to Santiago from Lima or Arequipa or toss the return.

The Santiago/Mendoza pass can close because of bad weather at altitude at any time of year but July is the worst month for closures. I just wouldn't chance it in winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭simonsays1

Iquazu Falls are a must!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

personally i think 4 weeks is not enough to visit them..... I did Argentina, Bolivia and Peru in 5 weeks and felt it was very rushed.... that was even including a few internal flights

As said above you literally be spending all your time getting between places end up not enjoying them...

I'd go for Bolivia and Peru, 2 weeks each if i was you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

I spent 2.5 weeks in peru and only saw the souther part of the country and the 'highlights' so I would definately try to cut down on the places you intend to visit or you will be everywhere and see/experience nothing much !!

• Advertisement
Advertisement