Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU fan not coming on at boot?

Options
  • 29-01-2013 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, second time this happened in a while, I only noticed because Youtube vids were sluggish and then my PC just shut off, and when I turned it back on the fan didn't spin up until I manually gave it a bump then off it went
    Should I clean it? Replace it?

Running Mint 14 so I've added an applet to show CPU temps in case it happens again.

Twice getting up to around 80 degrees for a very short time wouldn't do too much damage to it, right?
    It's a Core 2 Duo E6850 with stock cooler & fan, over 5 years old now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Replace the fan. Five years of use will probably leave it encrusted with dust and other debris and the motor that drives the fan might be on its last legs. Temperature spikes might have shut it down.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

More than likely fluff that's jamming the blades, happens quite a lot where a lump of it gets caught inside the fan itself.

When you're hitting 80 degrees (most CPUs cut-off point is 100 degrees) then it's a good sign that you should clean out the interior of the laptop, the fan and slap on some new thermal paste.

Every laptop has to get it done at least once in it's life and it's good practise to do so to increase the chance of a longer life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Not a laptop, it's one of them tower yokes :pac:
    It has fairly good airflow but it still pulls in a good bit of dust.
    I'll see if I can get a can of compressed air so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

Clean the fan, most of them are extremely easy to unhook and lift off. Last time I cleaned the fan on my old laptop, big lumps of dust came right out. Its amazing how much dust can be accumulated over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Not a laptop, it's one of them tower yokes :pac:
    It has fairly good airflow but it still pulls in a good bit of dust.
    I'll see if I can get a can of compressed air so.

My bad, reading too quick.

Anyways, give it a good clean out on the inside. A fresh batch of thermal paste under the heat sink wouldn't hurt either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

The professional way is to replace the fan. It is the cheaper way of doing things unless you don't value your own time. Cleaning the heatsink is all very well but the motor in the fan may well be failing and it is five years old.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭softdancomputer

Disconnect the fan before blowing air over, you may burn something on motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

jmcc wrote: »
    The professional way is to replace the fan. It is the cheaper way of doing things unless you don't value your own time. Cleaning the heatsink is all very well but the motor in the fan may well be failing and it is five years old.

Regards...jmcc

Agree. New heatsink / fan. You'd pick up a stock one on adverts for free if you ask (or even start a thread on here).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Free stuff! Oh baby I'm there! :pac:
    You think people would give away one after a few years, probably lads who used a custom fan instead I guess?
    Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

When your cleaning the fan add a little bit of wd40 into the area where the bearings are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Free stuff! Oh baby I'm there! :pac:
    You think people would give away one after a few years, probably lads who used a custom fan instead I guess?
    Cheers lads.

Yeah. I think I have one myself somewhere because I bought some behemoth of a heatsink at the time I got my Q6600 (same HSF). If you run into trouble drop me a line and I'll have a look.

Advertisement