Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running

• 29-01-2013 12:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

where is a safe park to run in limerick city centre area. or better the streets.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

You could do laps of Clare Street Park if you wanted somewhere enclosed, but the opening hours would be awkward enough.

The Condell Road has been done up lovely. The track is to the side of the out-bound lane and goes most of the way to Coonagh. It's a nice run from Coonagh back in the Ennis Road to town as well.

The rowing clubs use both roads, as well as O'Callaghan and Clancy's Strands towards Thomondgate. You could design a route to suit your own distances by looking at those areas on Google Maps. MapMyRun.com has a good tool for putting routes together as well. I'll be using those areas to train for the Great Limerick Run over the next few months.

To be honest, once you keep moving nobody's going to bother you anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Log onto walkjogrun.net and select Limerick to find saved routes, might give you some ideas where to head. There's a nice route out along the Shannon from the bridge near St Michael's boat club out to Caherdavin. May not be suitable until we get more daylight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

few people i know go running out around UL or grounds of Mary I College

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Does anyone know if the riverbank on the Condell Road is busy with walkers/runners after dark?

It's the only time I get to run.
    I normally go to MIC or UL but wouldn't mind trying the Condell Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Joeface

At this time of year , don't think so. Summer months yes (April to august)

find a lot of ppl running the loop from Vistakon to UL and out by Newtown in the evenings , its well lit, all on footpaths and pedestrian crossings at most of the junctions

its about 8km

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Does anyone know if the riverbank on the Condell Road is busy with walkers/runners after dark?

It's the only time I get to run.
    I normally go to MIC or UL but wouldn't mind trying the Condell Road.

It is nearly always quiet from dusk onwards save for a few regulars. It is part of one of my alternate routes and whenever I use it (usually dawn or dusk) I tend to only cross paths with a handful of other runners at most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

few regulars use it and its not as dark as it looks when you drive by it. only one patch is dark and secluded but I've never met anyone undesirable along there day or night ( I did meet a fox once though!!) Some dip down onto the cycle lane for this section but please if you do this, light up. the amount of idiots running the cycle lane in same direction as traffic, who are completely in black, is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Joeface wrote: »

find a lot of ppl running the loop from Vistakon to UL and out by Newtown in the evenings , its well lit, all on footpaths and pedestrian crossings at most of the junctions

its about 8km

yup. that's a great run.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Johnny31

Condell Road and UL are very popular for running

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭raher1

Joeface wrote: »

its about 8km

The map,is it the south side of the city?

• Advertisement

South east , Castletroy area

Dublin road and in around UL .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Anyone interested in occasionaly joining me for training? I'm based in Corbally but run around Limerick,casteltroy,dooradoyle etc usually in the morning. Can be boring alone,esp the longer runs. I'm preparing for the marathon in May,company even the odd time would be nice.:)

Just started training soo no good really

Freiheit wrote: »
    Anyone interested in occasionaly joining me for training? I'm based in Corbally but run around Limerick,casteltroy,dooradoyle etc usually in the morning. Can be boring alone,esp the longer runs. I'm preparing for the marathon in May,company even the odd time would be nice.:)

Maybe include what kinda pace your are running at time/km. and the distance you wish to run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I do most of my runs either along the riverbank behind UL or on the road in the Castletroy, Newtown, Childers road area.

Anybody interested, I'll go for a run or few with them.

Always start at the running track.

Hi my pace depends on the day,my long runs,10,15,18 miles I'd be as slow as 12 minutes per mile

I do three or four 5/6 mile runs per week and I'd be faster with them. I did the Milford 10k in 48.05.

I might be a little bit faster with occasional company . I'm a first time marathon aspirant,where my goal will be to cross the finishing line,hopefully in less than 5 hours.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My own target is to do the half-marathon in May within 120 minutes. Preferably closer to 105 minutes, if I train properly.
    Wrong side of the city to start my runs at UL though.

I do the ennis road back by the condell road route. Takes over an hour. Still expanding the lungs.limerick half marathon is a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Cartman78

There's endless possibilities in and around UL - dozens of loops over the bridges etc that are in a safe, well lit, busy but not overcrowded area.

Running around the new pitches on the far side of the river is ~1k so handy for adding distance without having to go to far. Ditto the UL track. Both are obviously perfect for interval/speed training if you're into that kinda thing.

Have ran pretty much all over Limerick city over the years and never had any problems. The path on the Condell Rd is fine but there are a few blindspots/isolated stretches where you may feel uncomfortable. If you're in that neck of the woods, a few loops of the North Circular Road (~3k iirc) is probably a better option

I know I've hijacked this thread,sorry O.P. but I'm also wondering whether there's any public showers around UL or the town? I don't usually go straight home and a shower would be a great help.

• Advertisement

Freiheit wrote: »
    I know I've hijacked this thread,sorry O.P. but I'm also wondering whether there's any public showers around UL or the town? I don't usually go straight home and a shower would be a great help.

There are public showers under the Sports Bar next to running track in UL. Their are open 95% of the time.

My paces are usually between 6.30 and 8 min per mile. Duration from about 40 to 90 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

You run 2 fast for me Yflyer .......

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    You run 2 fast for me Yflyer .......

What paces do you normally hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

8.30 ish :)

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    8.30 ish :)

That's good man. Keep it up. I would occasionally run at that pace when in good company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

just going back to the op. what route i use around limerick is starting at the traffic lights beside garryowen maxol up that road to the river turn right and follow the road till i get to the bridge before livingbridge. come up into UL at the bridge follow the road up past the kemmy business school leave UL at the flagpoles turn right and run till i hit the groody roundabout turn right into the dublin road and head to the traffic light where i started in total its about 7.25km of a run but generally wud have to be done in daylight

Hijack my thread,it's information I want and getting loads. Is it worth mixing gym with walk running.

Advertisement