Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI Is Awesome

Options
  • 29-01-2013 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭

So this morning I bought a crappy 2euro HDMI cable for my x box and holy god what a difference! I even rang a mate and woke him to tell him of the brilliance of it:p

The difference from the scart is amazing but I'd like to know why?

Why have any scart leads at all if HDMI is that good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Yes sir it is.

May I be the first to welcome you to the 21st century. We have many wondrous things to show you.:p

But seriously it does make a huge difference. I can't wait to see what games will look like in 4k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Kxiii wrote: »
    Yes sir it is.

May I be the first to welcome you to the 21st century. We have many wondrous things to show you.:p

But seriously it does make a huge difference. I can't wait to see what games will look like in 4k.

I'm slowly getting here:pac:

First I bought the x box, that broke, then a bigger backed telly, that broke along with my second x box:pac: So I got a third xbox and later went the hooooole 9 yards with a HD telly. The the third xbox broke:( 4 months of vigorous saving and here I am in HD gaming!:D

What a journey:pac:

What's this 4k you speak of?

What's this 4k you speak of?

It's going be the next standard in HD and should be in the next gen consoles. Here's a couple links, here and here

It means, convincing the misses that we REALLY do need a new tv as well.

It's going be the next standard in HD and should be in the next gen consoles. Here's a couple links, here and here

I should have kept up to date with this century:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

I should have kept up to date with this century:pac:
    There's wireless controllers these days also. Check em out op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭FreezeUp

OP, have you bought a hoverboard yet?

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    There's wireless controllers these days also. Check em out op.

I'm not that far behind:pac:
    FreezeUp wrote: »
    OP, have you bought a hoverboard yet?

A hoverboard? I get the feeling that you're being sarcastic so my reply shall be...

Its in the post:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

So this morning I bought a crappy 2euro HDMI cable for my x box and holy god what a difference! I even rang a mate and woke him to tell him of the brilliance of it:p

There is nothing crappy about a 2euro HDMI cable, its either a HDMI cable or its not. As someone in another thread posted, the difference between a 30 euro cable and a 2 euro cable is .... 28 euro

bennyc wrote: »
    There is nothing crappy about a 2euro HDMI cable, its either a HDMI cable or its not. As someone in another thread posted, the difference between a 30 euro cable and a 2 euro cable is .... 28 euro

True tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

I still remember what it was like when I first HDMI'd my Xbox to my new TV. Played Project Gotham and Gears of War. Couldn't believe the clarity and colours!! It gave me headaches for a while! That was a years ago now. This is the stanard now.

• Advertisement

I still remember what it was like when I first HDMI'd my Xbox to my new TV. Played Project Gotham and Gears of War. Couldn't believe the clarity and colours!! It gave me headaches for a while! That was a years ago now. This is the stanard now.

Going to play COD and Forza soon and see how things are! If it's anything like Fifa, I'm in for a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Yup I too many years used play my Xbox on a CRT TV with SCART but then I got a new, fancier HDTV and remember being in awe of how good Gears 2 looked. You really couldn't read text on a SCART connection without straining your eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

It's amazing how we adopt to different standards. Before I switched to HD I had no problem playing games. But as soon as I got used to HD it became impossible to play in SD.

Basically over night every SD tv because obsolete!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

My first Xbox didn't even have scart, but component and I had it plugged into a 32" HD Ready TV. This was 05 before most people even had HD tv's, I had to have my friends round to show them the difference because they wouldn't believe me. That said I had been PC gaming for years on a 21" CRT monitor at 1600x1200 so I was well used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

In fairness I went to a mates house who is a massive PC gamer , 26" X 2 and a pair of top end NVidia cards on SLI . He bought a 2K TV and had his xbox hooked in as a scart. He dosent really play xbox games just uses it as a media centre. Anyway he had this set up for over a year and never bothered to hook the XBox into the component of the 50" HDTV. Needless to say he was red in the face when we spent hours takig the piss. Until of course he showed us real gaming graphics of the PC set up :eek:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Wow. People still use scart.

Welcome to digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I still use one of these.

41TXtFILRZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The difference between Scart and HDMI 720p isn't actually that much especially when quite a few games don't come close to running in 720p. Scart will give you crystal clear picture quality just at a lower resolution. You'll have no problem reading text either. The problem is that people confuse proper RGB scart with composite which is the yellow, red and white cables. If you are using composite you aren't even getting standard definition, you are getting something much worse.

If you still have a SDTV then get yourself a proper scart cable and you'll have visuals close to HD, although not as good. Composite just looks terrible.

With composite the black, white, red, green and blue signals come down the same wire, the yellow one. It means you get lots of interference and you get cross talk patterns that lead to dots running along the sides of opposed colours. Basically you get a blurry mess. Scart seperates those components into seperate signals in their own wires. HDMI does this digitally so even better again.

Here's some screenshots from old consoles to show the difference:

Composite:

fc_rm_comp.jpg

RGB Scart

fc_rm_rgb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I hope not.

All the upgraded horsepower being sucked into shovelling out a massive increase in resolution sounds like a total waste of time.

Better effects, better phyics, better AI etc. Yeah!

From Super High Res to mega ridiculous High Res. Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

quad_red wrote: »
    I hope not.

All the upgraded horsepower being sucked into shovelling out a massive increase in resolution sounds like a total waste of time.

There's an 8k TV in existence for quite a while too! Much higher res again than 4k!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

4k is a long way off being consumer mainstream. You only see an advantage in screens in or over the 46" region too which just isn't practical for everyone. The next gen of consoles won't be focusing on 4k gameplay thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I recently upgraded from a Samsung HD ready jobby that could get 1080i to a full HD, 3d LG. This guy -> http://www.trustedreviews.com/lg-42lm670t_TV_review

I have the Xbox set to 1080p and all is great for the likes of Netflix etc. However, now when I'm playing Battlefield, it's like I am getting way more input lag than with the old TV. It's really noticeable when I'm in a tank or a chopper as it seems to lag and distort when I move quickly from side to side. I also noticed that the subtitles in a game I was playing the other day would do the same thing when I moved my character over them. Any ideas guys? Is it just a case of deal with it or will reducing to 720p be a better option for gaming?

Edit: Just read the review: High input lag at 100ms. That's almost certainly what's causing it, which sucks.

quad_red wrote: »
    I hope not.

Why cant we have both?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Why cant we have both?

Cos the hardware would cost a grand.

This generation can't even deliver 1080p at 60fps. Hell, at times it could barely do 720p.

An affordable new console will not be able to deliverer 4k with high frame rates and lots of goodies.

Why not lock down 1080p and up the ante on everything else rather than become a slave to a standard that there's no TV sets to display it.

Keep 4K for movie playback or something.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The next consoles can only hope to do video playback at 4K. They don't have near enough video RAM to display in 4K.

Eurogamer did a 4K experiment trying to run new games on PC in 4K. When they did run the settings had to be dialed right down to get them to even display. Since the latest consoles are based on mobile technology you won't see them doing it any time soon considering high end PCs that are vastly superior have trouble with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anyone who thinks new generation of consoles will be 4k is simply deluded. It'd take an absolute monster of a PC to play a game at those settings; and when you consider that the upcoming gen of consoles are weaker than their predecessors in terms of relativity to the market of the time....current gen struggles at 720p most of the time. If 'next gen' achieved 30fps@1080 they'd be doing well enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

If 'next gen' achieved 30fps@1080 they'd be doing well enough.

I think they'll be good for 60fps@1080p & from all the Orbis whispers etc, it seems thats their objective. Fully agree re 4k, it aint gonna happen

I imagine we'll be getting 1080p 30fps. As developers have noted this gen you can include a hell of a lot more detail in your game if you go from 60 to 30 FPS. As Insomniac has said, everyone ignored that Resistance 2 ran at a silky smooth 60 FPS while Killzone 2 everyone went bananas about the graphics and nothing was mentioned about how awfully laggy the 30FPS deffered rendering engine made the controls (or how **** the gameplay was).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

EnterNow wrote: »
    4k is a long way off being consumer mainstream. You only see an advantage in screens in or over the 46" region too which just isn't practical for everyone. The next gen of consoles won't be focusing on 4k gameplay thats for sure

Another problem I've heard would be storage media. A mate of mine read somewhere that a standard length 4k movie would need about 1TB of space. Not too sure if that's true, but it really makes you think about the worth of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    There's an 8k TV in existence for quite a while too! Much higher res again than 4k!

Sharp were showing it off at CES last month. I had to question the logic of displaying an 8K TV, regardless of how much of a prototype it was, at the same event you're trying to convince retailers and the media that your 4K TVs are the best things since sliced bread.

Advertisement