Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDMI Is Awesome

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I recently upgraded from a Samsung HD ready jobby that could get 1080i to a full HD, 3d LG. This guy -> http://www.trustedreviews.com/lg-42lm670t_TV_review

I have the Xbox set to 1080p and all is great for the likes of Netflix etc. However, now when I'm playing Battlefield, it's like I am getting way more input lag than with the old TV. It's really noticeable when I'm in a tank or a chopper as it seems to lag and distort when I move quickly from side to side. I also noticed that the subtitles in a game I was playing the other day would do the same thing when I moved my character over them. Any ideas guys? Is it just a case of deal with it or will reducing to 720p be a better option for gaming?

Edit: Just read the review: High input lag at 100ms. That's almost certainly what's causing it, which sucks.
    Try setting the TV mode to PC / PC input, this normally turns off all the image processing reducing lag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Welcome to 2005... Oh wait

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

TBH, I just changed from the component to HDMI this week as well. Dealz €1.49 HDMI cables, yes please.

Well, I had HDMI before, but it shít itself, and I went back to the component.

Difference really is noticable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Try setting the TV mode to PC / PC input, this normally turns off all the image processing reducing lag.

Will give it a go. There is a "Game" mode as well which I'll switch to and see if it makes a difference. The input lag is sooo bad, though. They apparently released a couple of updates for the TV which initially reduced the input lag significantly but a recent update has messed it up again. We'll see what happens. It's all the processing going on in the background with smart hubs and 3D and the likes causing it to lag really badly. Mine is a mid-range. Reckon you need to go to the higher end smart TVs to get something with feck all lag out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

My Xbox is hooked up to a 32" LCD tv (1080P) through component, my Xbox never failed so it's an older model with no HDMI out.
    If I bought a new Xbox would I see a difference through HDMI?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Sitec wrote: »
    My Xbox is hooked up to a 32" LCD tv (1080P) through component, my Xbox never failed so it's an older model with no HDMI out.
    If I bought a new Xbox would I see a difference through HDMI?

As long as your TV allows you to do 1080p over component, you will get 1080p as the cable supports it. It's usually the TV that prevents it but as long as it gives you the option in your Xbox video settings section to use 1080p, then you're fine.

And cheers to cold fusion, changing to that setting has completely changed everything, even streaming the Sky player. makes everything much smoother. Just need to feck around with the brightness etc to get it to how I like it as the setting naturally dulls everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I set my xbox to 720p mode,as most games are designed for 720 p on the xbox.I think theres very little difference between component and hdmi display from an xbox 360,from what i have read.
    A scart cable on a hd tv ,gives only sdtv picture, ie its not capable of displaying a high def picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

COYVB wrote: »
    Sharp were showing it off at CES last month. I had to question the logic of displaying an 8K TV, regardless of how much of a prototype it was, at the same event you're trying to convince retailers and the media that your 4K TVs are the best things since sliced bread.
    I suppose it's an "in there first" type thing. People reading reviews in 2 or 3 years time about any new 8k TV will be probably reading about "Sharp had one 3 years ago, so brand x aren't the first..." so their name is out there!
    Also maybe it'll panic people into "crap, I don't even have a 4k TV and the 8k ones are coming out???" :D
    In any case, content for 4k will be rare and long time away. 8k Content will be lucky to see cinemas in the next 5 years, let alone living rooms!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

So this morning I bought a crappy 2euro HDMI cable for my x box and holy god what a difference! I even rang a mate and woke him to tell him of the brilliance of it:p

The difference from the scart is amazing but I'd like to know why?

Why have any scart leads at all if HDMI is that good?

What kind of xbox, do you have? I have the old one with no HDMI slot , must i buy a converter????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I suppose it's an "in there first" type thing. People reading reviews in 2 or 3 years time about any new 8k TV will be probably reading about "Sharp had one 3 years ago, so brand x aren't the first..." so their name is out there!
    Also maybe it'll panic people into "crap, I don't even have a 4k TV and the 8k ones are coming out???" :D
    In any case, content for 4k will be rare and long time away. 8k Content will be lucky to see cinemas in the next 5 years, let alone living rooms!

it'll be 3-5 years before 4k is affordable for most people, and another 5 before 8k rolls out. it all seems quite pointless. there's no need for them to actually release something for every step in the progression. how about we skip 8k and release 16k after 4k? that'd make more sense. the problem is that the tech is all moving way too fast; they can't release it in time before it's obsolete

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The point of dimishing returns is going to be reached with 4/8k stuff. You need very large screens to see any benefit from them apparently.

And I shudder to think of how bad an 1080i tv signal would look on a 4k screen, & 1080i is with us for a while yet for tv signal.

EnterNow wrote: »
    The point of dimishing returns is going to be reached with 4/8k stuff. You need very large screens to see any benefit from them apparently.

And I shudder to think of how bad an 1080i tv signal would look on a 4k screen, & 1080i is with us for a while yet for tv signal.

I've seen 720p on 4K and it looks pretty damn good. All the 4K TVs I've seen have on-board graphical processing for upscaling, so I wouldn't be too concerned about 1080i.

However you're dead right about point of diminishing returns - there's no discernible difference between 4K and 8K right now from my experience, while there IS an improvement from HD to 4K, but not quite as big of one as you might think - I'd really need to see a native 4K game running on an 80"+ 4K TV to really see how big the difference is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Did you drive to your shop in a Delorian??

Did you drive to your shop in a Delorian??

I would've but I'm running short on the 1.21 gigawatts of power I need to get it going

I've seen 720p on 4K and it looks pretty damn good. All the 4K TVs I've seen have on-board graphical processing for upscaling, so I wouldn't be too concerned about 1080i.

However you're dead right about point of diminishing returns - there's no discernible difference between 4K and 8K right now from my experience, while there IS an improvement from HD to 4K, but not quite as big of one as you might think - I'd really need to see a native 4K game running on an 80"+ 4K TV to really see how big the difference is

Is the upscaling that good yeah? If you have a 4k screen & a 1080i/720p signal going into it, there's an awful lot of pixels/resolution missing. I remember moving to a HD plasma from a 1st gen SD one & thinking the tv stream was far better on the older one, as that screen was designed for our broadcasted resolution.

Your spot on re wanting to see a proper 4k game on an 80" screen, I'd say it would be jaw dropping. But when you have to go over 50" to see the benefits of it, its not exactly practical for everyone

Yeah the upscaling is really, really good on LG, Sony and Sharp who were the guys I paid most attention to at CES. As I say, they've all got built in GPUs now - they're a far cry from previous TV tech.

We're approaching the fine line now where people will need to think long and hard about whether to go for a TV or a projector. 60-72" will be the norm in the coming years, but the space is the big thing for many. A projector is scaleable and nowhere near as space consuming, but it comes with its own barriers of entry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

For most people,4k is no use,you,d need tv bigger than 40inch,
    its very expensive.
    IT would be nice if more tv was broadcast in hd 1080p .Maybe ps4,xbox 4, they,ll make all games in 1080p hd.
    Theres no practical way right now to broadcast 4k tv,
    not enough bandwidth.
    More people watch films,streaming,netflix etc,or on satellite
    than buy blueray films,
    the average person does not go for the latest technology.
    Otherwise we, d all be buying 3d tvs.

Both new consoles will be 4K compatible, perhaps not immediately but there'll be potential for support through a firmware upgrade there. 4K is very expensive now, yes, but in 5 years you'll get an 80" 4K TV for about 700-1000 quid

re the 3DTV thing - you'll find most people buying new TVs ARE actually buying 3D ones, but only because the industry is forcing them to

And, just as a point of interest, a few South Korean TV stations are broadcasting in native over the air 4K right now.

Both new consoles will be 4K compatible

Perhaps for video playback at some stage...but if the rumours are to be believed the specs are nowhere near what'd be required for 4k gaming.

Perhaps for video playback at some stage...but if the rumours are to be believed the specs are nowhere near what'd be required for 4k gaming.

Don't rule it out

• Advertisement

Don't rule it out

Are you aware of the horsepower needed to game at 4k?

Are you aware of the horsepower needed to game at 4k?

Yup. I'm also aware that 4K compatibility isn't necessarily exactly how it sounds when you're Sony and Microsoft :)

I'm also aware that 4K compatibility isn't necessarily exactly how it sounds when you're Sony and Microsoft :)

4k is 4k, its either it or not...I don't quite follow you

4k is 4k, its either it or not...I don't quite follow you

Let's play a game of silly buggers for a moment, if you allow me. Now the current generation of systems is HD, but up until recently (relatively speaking) there were plenty of games that weren't actually running at traditional HD resolutions, as we know. The games were still "HD" though, right?

Let's, for arguement's sake says that Sony and MS build in functionality that allows for, oh I don't know, 2K display, but also allows for native upscaling to 4K. The system isn't actually rendering anything at 4K, but rather is rendering at 2K (or whatever) and upscaling to 4K. This is what you're likely going to get with both systems down the line

Let's play a game of silly buggers for a moment, if you allow me. Now the current generation of systems is HD, but up until recently (relatively speaking) there were plenty of games that weren't actually running at traditional HD resolutions, as we know. The games were still "HD" though, right?

Let's, for arguement's sake says that Sony and MS build in functionality that allows for, oh I don't know, 2K display, but also allows for native upscaling to 4K. The system isn't actually rendering anything at 4K, but rather is rendering at 2K (or whatever) and upscaling to 4K. This is what you're likely going to get with both systems down the line

HD is a catch all term for a variety of resolutions, 720p, 1080i, 1080p etc. 4k is a specific resolution, much the same as 1080p is a specific resolution. The current gen could play HD resolutions, but that didn't mean 1080p@60hz or anything near it...but then again, they didn't claim they could - HD is what they said & HD is what we got {720p@30fps if your lucky}.

You can't claim to run 4k & then run a facade of it. Now what we might see, if your example turns out to be right, is a marketing tag of Super HD, or HD+ etc etc, which would be a catch all term for anything higher than 1080p, but not necessarily 4k.

There were plenty of current gen games running sub 720

There were plenty of current gen games running sub 720

Yet they are called HD...that doesn't mean they are 1080p. Much the same as anything less than 4k won't be called 4k

Yet they are called HD...that doesn't mean they are 1080p. Much the same as anything less than 4k won't be called 4k

It will be when it's upscaled to 4k though. The game will be 2K or whatever, the output will be upscaled on the box to the TV. It's nothing new, there are plenty of 720 games out there that are simply soft upscaling to hit 720 - the game isn't rendering to that resolution

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Any cheap HDMI 1.4a cables about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It will be when it's upscaled to 4k though. The game will be 2K or whatever, the output will be upscaled on the box to the TV. It's nothing new, there are plenty of 720 games out there that are simply soft upscaling to hit 720 - the game isn't rendering to that resolution

And it looks terrible. All they do is blur a lower resolution image. You still aren't magically getting a 720p image.

4K is a massive jump in resolution from 1080p, if you upscale from 1080p the results aren't pretty. According to Digital Foundry's analysis of the new system specs and from talking to developers on PS4 Sony is aiming for 1080p 60FPS. There's no way the systems can handle 4K gaming with the lack of video RAM they have. It just isn't possible. You should check out their article on 4K gaming on PC. Even on the most powerful PC they had which far outclasses the next gen Xbox and PS4 they found it difficult to even get games to run in 4K and when they did there was severe framerate problems and they had to be run in medium settings (equivalent to current gen standards).

Advertisement