Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping from Australia (Brisbane) to Ireland

Options
  • 29-01-2013 2:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

So we're heading back next week and are currently in the process of selling all of our stuff, however, we're considering sending some of it back if we can get a reasonable rate.

The most logical thing to do is obviously sell everything, but for various reasons, there are certain things we would like to keep and ship back. So lets just assume selling up is not an option for the moment.

I reckon around 700mm cubed would be loads and the weight would be about 25kg (these are rough guesses).

If it's around $300 we will go for it, if not, we'll just sell up what we can.

Has anyone sent home a package like this? If so, what was the cost and what company would you recommend?

I've been in touch with some companies but I'd prefer to get the input of people who have been in a similar situation if possible, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

20kg is about $200 with Auspost. I think 20kg is max with them so if you have 25kg you may need to send 2 parcels. Still should be < $300 though.

http://auspost.com.au/parcels-mail/postage-assessment-calculator.html

Edit: That's via sea, which is slow but much cheaper than air.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Are you travelling straight back to IReland? Is looking into an booking extra bag on the flight a possibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Are you travelling straight back to IReland? Is looking into an booking extra bag on the flight a possibility?

No, we'll be traveling for about 3 weeks first.

Also, we understand that this will more than likely be via sea, no problems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I've used these blokes before, they drop off the boxes for you, collect them when they are full and deliver them to where ever in about 6 weeks or so, there is a bit of paper work to fill out declaring stuff but other than that its painless enough.

http://www.sevenseasworldwide.com/home

Just to follow up on this...

I went with TheAussie's suggestion, seven seas. The 20kg for $200 with Aus post was good value but we think it's just not enough.

With seven seas we could get up to 30kg and a size of 610x510x410 shipped door to door with boxes, tape, bubble wrap included for $333. Then I noticed I could add a second box and additional 30kg for $34 extra. So we went with that, now we can ship home heaps of stuff that we thought we would have to leave behind and sell at a loss.

Very happy with that assuming it all arrives safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Essien wrote: »
    Just to follow up on this...

I went with TheAussie's suggestion, seven seas. The 20kg for $200 with Aus post was good value but we think it's just not enough.

With seven seas we could get up to 30kg and a size of 610x510x410 shipped door to door with boxes, tape, bubble wrap included for $333. Then I noticed I could add a second box and additional 30kg for $34 extra. So we went with that, now we can ship home heaps of stuff that we thought we would have to leave behind and sell at a loss.

Very happy with that assuming it all arrives safely.

Nice one. And good one you for posting follow up, I'm sure others will find it useful.

jackbhoy wrote: »

Nice one. And good one you for posting follow up, I'm sure others will find it useful.

I spent ages googling this kind of stuff and I found so many threads where a question was asked and a solution was offered but nobody ever seemed to post actual figures like cost, weight and size once they'd found what they were after. It was head wrecking. I'll come back after its all done too when I know how long it took, though the quoted time is up to 79 days.

I forgot to update this until now...

Anyway, my stuff arrived after about 10 weeks which was exactly as expected. There was no messing around with customs or anything, I got an email 2/3 days prior to let me know when it would be here. Sure enough, it arrived at my door on the day and time specified.

All in all, it was an excellent service and (I thought) good value for money. HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Good man, hope you settle back in home well...

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭PrairieDawn

You will be glad you did. My parents lived in USA for five years back in the 70s. They shipped everything home. Now we have couches, arm chairs, couch-beds, bookshelves, tables, even plate sets that came from the states. They mean a lot to them, And they were very durable !

• Advertisement
Advertisement