Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange question.......

Options
  • 29-01-2013 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭

(mods - not sure if this should be here or in Currys & PC World.....please feel free to move if it's in the wrong place :) )

Hi

Have a strange situation/question here. I set up a store bought computer (Lenovo i3 from PC World) for a friend last week. It was going great for a day or two but it started going very slow so he asked me to check it.

Turned out that it was FireFox that was slowing it down. Only found this after checking the whole setup. But as part of the diags I went into the System logs in Event Viewer (or whatever it's called in Windows 8). One of the error logs had a date stamp of Sept 2012......and the system was only bought last week.

What I'd like to know is......was this an error that was encountered in the initial image and was ignored or was this machine set up before and restored......and resold? Personally, I am convinced that it was an error from the initial configuration but the owner thinks it was used before he got it.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭HelpWithIT

Do a print out of what you found and bring it into them and stand your ground!! Argos are also notorious for doing this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

FanadMan wrote: »
    (mods - not sure if this should be here or in Currys & PC World.....please feel free to move if it's in the wrong place :) )

Hi

Have a strange situation/question here. I set up a store bought computer (Lenovo i3 from PC World) for a friend last week. It was going great for a day or two but it started going very slow so he asked me to check it.

Turned out that it was FireFox that was slowing it down. Only found this after checking the whole setup. But as part of the diags I went into the System logs in Event Viewer (or whatever it's called in Windows 8). One of the error logs had a date stamp of Sept 2012......and the system was only bought last week.

What I'd like to know is......was this an error that was encountered in the initial image and was ignored or was this machine set up before and restored......and resold? Personally, I am convinced that it was an error from the initial configuration but the owner thinks it was used before he got it.

Any ideas?

Is the Machine Windows 8, if so it could not have been sold last September, since it was not yet release at that time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Was the machine set up initially when you got it? Or did you go through with the usual user a/c creation/passwords etc? The error log event could possibly have occurred before you changed the date and time to the correct values, or else possibly was triggered during mass imaging when the laptop was in production (which I doubt). As mentioned above Windows 8 only started being sold just before christmas but really after the new year.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

yoyo wrote: »
    Was the machine set up initially when you got it? Or did you go through with the usual user a/c creation/passwords etc? The error log event could possibly have occurred before you changed the date and time to the correct values, or else possibly was triggered during mass imaging when the laptop was in production (which I doubt). As mentioned above Windows 8 only started being sold just before christmas but really after the new year.

Nick

Had to go through normal account setup and config. But was strange to see a date stamp of sept 2012 in the error logs. Prob the config machine in the Lenovo factory needs to have the date checked lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

yoyo wrote: »

Nick

Had to go through normal account setup and config. But was strange to see a date stamp of sept 2012 in the error logs. Prob the config machine in the Lenovo factory needs to have the date checked lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement