Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ace Combat: Assault Horizon [PC - Franchise First]

• 29-01-2013 4:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,714 ✭✭✭✭

They just released an enhanced PC Edition of Assault Horizon on Steam for $34.99, including (derp), higher resolution graphics, New aircraft, skins and maps, and some new multiplayer options that will be popular for the next 3 weeks and never be touched again, like so many hundreds of other games.

This is the first time Ace Combat has been spotted on the PC - outside of an emulator.

I havent played Assault Horizon yet so this is a definite shoe-in for my Wishlist.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/228400/?snr=1_4_4__100_9

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I got it recently on the Xbox. I've only played a few levels so far, but I'm not very impressed with it. They've introduced a QTE dogfighting mechanic and made it pretty close to mandatory a lot of the time. It leads to lots of very pretty zooming and whooshing around, but leaves you pretty disconnected from the whole experience.

I'd suggest trying a demo before buying if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I've been playing Distant Thunder and The Belkan War on PS2 lately, and I found myself falling in love with the old series again. Hadn't played them in years, and to be honest, they'd all but completely fallen off my radar. I checked the trailer for the Xbox's version of Assault Horizon last night, and it blew me away. Looks very intense indeed. I'll be picking it up as soona s I hve some spare cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

as a massive fan of distant thunder I found this game immensely boring - I got the same feeling of disconnection from the game (like mentioned above) It feels like a game that was made around the on rails sections turret/plane sections of the recent call of duty games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Seen this today, so went and found the previous thread on boards about the game , but didn't want to revive it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72670092

Most people disliked it it seemed, so although I'd like to try it, I'd prefer the option for a demo first. Also, not sure if it supports joystick.

Comments from previous thread
    This game is awful, not the Ace Combat of old by a big margin.
    This is a serious let down. The conflicting reviews don't help assuage my thoughts
    The demo is bang on what the game is like.
    Worst Ace Combat ever. As an Ace Combat fan the Gamespot review is bang on
    Agree 100%. I can't believe the positive reviews. It just confirms the view that most critics have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to certain not so popular genres of gaming and hence when a game has been dumbed down and simplified they give it a positive review simply because they can beat it.
    Finding it very boring...I love flying games and thought AC6 was pretty good but this one sucks balls..

:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I played it briefly, and it's nothing like the old games. Ace Combat 4 and 5 are probably my two favourite games on the PS2, and some of my favourite games overall. Loved playing as Mobius 1 in AC4 and Blaze in AC5. Also had some of the best music in any games.

With this one, it's like they got Michael Bay to direct it. Explosions and QTE!!! OMG!!

**** that ****.

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Seen this today, so went and found the previous thread on boards about the game , but didn't want to revive it http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72670092
    Wish I saw that before I bought it. I spotted it in HMV for €20, did a quick google and saw that most reviews were positive with a few complaints that it was dumbed down and COD like. But Ace Combat has always been dumbed down and COD like, that's the whole point, so I didn't think they could have dumbed it down any more. Boy was I wrong.

stevenmu wrote: »
    Wish I saw that before I bought it. I spotted it in HMV for €20, did a quick google and saw that most reviews were positive with a few complaints that it was dumbed down and COD like. But Ace Combat has always been dumbed down and COD like, that's the whole point, so I didn't think they could have dumbed it down any more. Boy was I wrong.

What's your take on it then ? there's is still a voice in my head telling me to buy it :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was thinking about that QTE a few minutes ago, and i really can't fathom how they even thought about putting it in. It's so utterly pointless. I can only hope they saw it as a bit of a joke.

If only someone decided to release a HD remake of the old Ace Combat games. Now that's something i'd buy.

SeantheMan wrote: »
    What's your take on it then ? there's is still a voice in my head telling me to buy it :P
    I'd advise against it tbh, you'd be far better off playing one of the earlier games, or one of the HAWX games (which have their own problems, but not as bad).

The main mechanic of the game just seems broken to me. For a large percentage of the enemy aircraft you have to shoot down, you have to go into an on-rails type mode, where your aircraft more or less flies itself in pursuit of the enemy, and depending on what symbols show up on the screen you may or may not have to press a few buttons. It's a game where literally the whole point is to fly a plane, to take that away and put in QTEs is just ridiculous. Imagine playing COD or some other shooter where your character starts running around and aiming all by itself, and all you do is tweak the aim a little bit and fire.

Like I said earlier I've only gotten through a couple of levels, so it might improve. I'll probably go back to it again at some point when I'm extremely bored, but I won't be in any rush.

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »

If only someone decided to release a HD remake of the old Ace Combat games. Now that's something i'd buy.

God yeah !! :D
    I remember I wasn't too pushed on 'Air Combat' , though it was excellent compared to the likes of TopGun and others that were out.

Then Ace Combat 2 came along, still my favourite Flight game to date.
    And one of the only games I made myself do 100%, killing every jet and all the special jets - finally getting 'Commander in Chief' as a rank, though at the time I didn't know what that rank meant or was..because it was around 1998 and the internet wasn't proper in Ireland.
    But somehow through my fighting exploits I became the president obviously :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,714 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Squad Leader stands out as my favorite

It's a toss up between Distant Thunder and Unsung War (the proper names :P) for me. Unsung War would probably just edge it though. Still not sure if anything will ever beat the final mission in 4 for me. Flying with an entire Mobius Squadron, and flying through the tunnels at Megalith (with that music). Fantastic.

If anything could beat it though...

/end music talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Ace Combat 5, 4 then Zero. Still great games today. Assault Horizon is an awful terrible mess and a shame to the franchise.

Ace Combat 2 is still good. Finished it again last year, basically a remake of 1 but with a story, or more of a story.

I wish they released the full version of 3 in English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,714 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    facepalm_asian_gif.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Avoid Assault horizon. Utterly deplorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I think I enjoyed hawx more than assault horizon, that's how damning my opinion of it is..

Advertisement