Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South America travel vaccines?.

• 29-01-2013 5:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi folks I'm off to South America in April and was just wondering do I really need to get hep B vaccine. I will be travelling to buenos Aries on to iguassu and then to rio, nothing too out of the ordinary so don't think I will ned it but wondering what others think. I have been on the fit for travel web site and they don't seem to push it too much. What ave others on here got who have done this trip before please.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

If you get in contact with you local travel medical bureau they should be able to help you out.
    http://www.tmb.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

I know about all them places thanks anyways what I want here is personal experience

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭thatsmyboy

Anyone for the jabs!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

heb B is often recommended by docs for foreign travel to SE Asia and S America. Double check with your GP/travel doc.
    People tend not to think they don't need it because they don't intend to have sexual contact with the local population, but as one GP pointed out, you could be in a fight and a bit of blood is all you need to catch it. It's still far fetched, but better safe then sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 i have to return some video tapes

For south america the vaccinations you need are Yellow fever , typhoid, diphtheria, Hep A and Tetanus. I don't think you need HEP B. I just had all my vaccination done at the travel health clinic on Dawson street . They are much better and cheaper then the tropical medical bureau.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I've been to all kinds of crazy countries. I don't get overly concerned about the likelihood of picking up diseases. I would say your chances are very remote.

BUT: you should take precautions and get the jabs you need.

Get the standards like dyptheria, typhoid, hepatitis A, etc. - most are available as a cheap combination dose, so it's easy.

Unless you're going to serious jungle, Yellow Fever isn't an issue unless you're going to a Yellow Fever zone. I've never got it.

As someone said, you simply don't know whether you'll get into a fight or get in an accident where you may find yourself receiving medical attention with unclean needles and blades. (Apart from sexual contact.) B is a bit of a pain, I think, because you have to go twice, but feck it. (I actually got my second dose in South Africa. Don't have the Hep!)

There's also rabies to think about, but I think all that jab gets you is 24 hours to get treatment. Steer clear of angry, frothy dogs!

And enjoy your trip! I'd do that trip all over again if I could.

Advertisement