Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Implications of working 1 day p/w self employed

• 29-01-2013 9:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if somebody could tell me what would happen in the following situation. I am currently signing on.

I get offered a job one day a week that pays 120 but i am responsible for all tax implications. In informing the social welfare of working this day would I then be struck off all together and not entitled to any payments for the days i am not working as I would be self employed as such and not paying stamps?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

JSA or JSB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

JSB and my wife is also working. Have been claiming for 6 months and she earns over 400 a week

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The normal practice while on JSB,if you get a days work you will go into your local office the next day or as soon as possible and inform then that you worked for a day.You will lose a days dole and that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

This would be a day a week till december, even though i will prob be put off after the 12 months anyhow?

Also as said above i would be responsible for my own tax's

As it's a fixed one day per week inform the office that this will be happening they should put you on X and O slips (you wont have to sign on monthly)however when your benefits runs out you will be means tested against your wife's earnings and the one day a week you work.

JSA claim
    A rough calculation of means for herself would indicate that her earnings would give a means of €204.The max for a couple claiming JSA is €312.80,you would get aprox €108 per week if you do not do any work.

Your €120 would be 120 minus 20 =100 get 60% =€60 means.payment of €48 per week.
    All the above are very rough calculations.more here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/irish_social_welfare_system/means_test_for_social_welfare_payments/work_and_jobseekers_allowance.html

Tax matters are between yourself and the revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Re ops earnings of €120 per week its not as simple as applying the criteria in paid employment. OP will be considered self-employed and will have to produce profit and loss accounts when his jsb exhausts if OP wishes to be means tested for jsa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

eastbono wrote: »
    Re ops earnings of €120 per week its not as simple as applying the criteria in paid employment. OP will be considered self-employed and will have to produce profit and loss accounts when his jsb exhausts if OP wishes to be means tested for jsa.

+1

Advertisement