Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help!

Options
  • 29-01-2013 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Myself and my friend have been in Australia since the middle of october. We both got part time jobs (barely) in Melbourne that kept us going for a bit found it hard to get work there. We moved to sydney two weeks ago and have had no hope getting jobs yet, our funds are low and can probably only last another couple weeks before we would have to go home. We really don't want to go home, our luck just isn't in. We hear of so many doing well over here and we are killing ourselves on net all day looking for jobs,handing out cv's etc. We both have business degrees, and experience in retail and data entry etc. Can anybody help us out with work or know anywhere hiring? Agencies aren't a great help. Really don't want to go home, we have been really sensible with our money, only gone out to a club/pub 4times since october to try keep money and buy cans other weekends and sit in! Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

Move to rural Australia for a few months, do your 88 days for your 2nd year visa and save some cash, apply for jobs while your there. Lots of farming towns inland NSW

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Maybe try outside the net, have you tried walking around shops, delis, restaurants etc and handing in your cv, talking to managers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I agree with the look for Rural work ASAP advice.

I heard on the news Tassie cant get enough

http://fruit-pickers-tasmania.com.au/

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Good Advice

We have heard of loads moving to do farmwork and then get messed about I dunno if we will take that risk. Yep we have handed out cv's it must be a slow period, we have to leave in two weeks if we don't get something. We are so stressed out we don't want to go home and we will have no money to our name :(

We have heard the money in fruit picking isn't great and you end up just being barely able to pay for your working hostel accomodation. We would definately do it if we could save some amount of money and got genuine fruit picking work that we won't be messed about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Do rural work....it'll tie you over and give you a chance to save money.

We would consider it but we need to get it asap and there doesn't seem to be much around at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

As above, do your regional work.

Not only would it be the easiest way to get you out of the hole you're currently in, but once you've been granted your 2nd year visa you'll be in a position to work almost a year consecutively with the same employer (from the last few months of your current WHV right through the first 6 of your 2nd year), assuming you'd be interested in the 2nd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

December and January are terrible times to attempt to get work in Oz due to Christmas and the summer holidays. Either scrimp and stick it out for a few more weeks or head to the country as suggested above.

We have rang around working hostels tonight there is no work for regional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Not surprised about work in Melb, it's a bad time of year to be on job search. I assume Sydney is similar though I can't believe that there's no work.
    Have you looked at hospitality jobs/furniture removal, if times are tough, you'd try unskilled to keep you going?
    Not everyone advertises. Smaller employers are notorious for this.
    If you really want to stay on and nothing is doing in the country, which I find hard to believe, you'd put up with short term pain/unskilled job.
    So I would print a hundred cvs and go out on foot tomorrow and try for any reasonable job possible. Obviously you'd target a suburb/part of city you haven't already tried.

It's so important to come here with more than enough cash to see you though the hard times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

There is a bit of a theme to the suggestions, go rural and get your second year in the bag. It might be a tough few months but at least it's cash coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Get out and do your farming , I was in same situation and went farming in WA and saved loads after a few months but I got lucky it was well paid I've heard a lot of farmers are cowboys. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

A lot of farmers are actual cowboys.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Essien wrote: »
    Not only would it be the easiest way to get you out of the hole you're currently in, but once you've been granted your 2nd year visa you'll be in a position to work almost a year consecutively with the same employer (from the last few months of your current WHV right through the first 6 of your 2nd year), assuming you'd be interested in the 2nd year.

I thought you could only work for a single employer for 6 months? Is this 6 months per visa, or 6 months total. I'd figured i'd try get a 6 month position first, and then do regional work. But if doing it first mean's i could work for a company for more then the 6 months (thus increasing the chances of being hired?), i'd consider that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You're sounding a bit negative OP. In my experience Aussies tend not to respond well to that. You've been offered good advice re rural work, but you're response seems to be 'well, that won't work because...' Are you waiting for somebody on here to respond and offer you a job? I wouldn't based on the tone of your posts.

Or do you really want things to work out at all...?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

The department have a few links where you can search for jobs. Hope this helps.

http://www.immi.gov.au/living-in-australia/choose-australia/regional-life/employment_housing.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

Everyone is chasing the same buck over here so there is lots of competition for job seekers unfortunately. Every other person i speak to over here from a foreign land is looking for steady work.

We have all been there -Money running low, 100s of CV's handed out, refreshing Seek every ten minutes and cursing everyone that told you that finding work in Oz is a breeze.

As suggested ethier keep plucking away and keep trying with employers or cut your losses and try regional work for a few months. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain from it when you think about it. It beats going home!

Is labouring an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Try companies like DFP and Geoffry Nathan maybe...they got my brother and myself call centre work and that tied my over until I got a job I wanted.

I won't be doing labouring as I'm a girl. I'm not expecting anything to be handed me I rang 20 working hostels and they're all booked out until april, I am trying my best. I handed out 30 cv's yesterday and rang around loads of places. I would jump at the opportunity if we got regional work anything is better than going home. I'm down to my last 1000 dollars. I'm really doing everything I can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Traffic Controller is definitely an option for the ladies.
    Unfortunately it does involve doing a course, you'd probably need wheels too, so it may be too late for you to get on-board with that.
    It's worth having a look though, check with any traffic control companies nearby and have a punt, you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Rubadubchub

I know it can be very frustrating when you cant find work and the pressure is on. Im sure you are already trying the usual avenues - call centres, bar work, door to door sales etc.

Are you staying in a hostel? I would try and find a hostel offering work for accomodation so that this wasnt eating into your savings. Work a few hours a week cleaning rooms whilst job hunting. Dont eat out and knock the drinking on the head until you can find a job.

It can take companies a lot longer than 2 weeks to reply with regards to job applications so as farm work is out of the equation you have two options. Sit tight and scrimp as much as possible for a month or pack up and head home.

Im sure you have already been in to every temp agency going but dont just assume that since you have handed in your CV that is it done. Phone at least once a week to make sure they know you are available and torture them until they are sick of hearing from you.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Have you tried the northern beaches area? Loads of cafes with vacancy signs in them, try Manly, Harbord, Dee Why. Sign up with child care agencies, you should get a day or two work fairly quickly. Only thing is you need a police clearance cert. Best of luck, it's tough at the beginning

We rang more places about fruit picking and saying there's no work! Tried cafes everywhere rang a job on gumtree for filling out stock on shelves and once they heard backpacker and irish I was told no.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 gabberific

Have you looked into Wwoofing or HelpX?

Basically you for your food and accommodation on farms in a regional area who are registered as either Wwoof or HelpX hosts. You don't get paid, but it would tide you over until paid work comes along, you won't spend a penny and you'll get some of your regional days racked up.

I didn't actually end up doing it, because the day before I was supposed to go to a farm as a Wwoofer, paid work came up, but I have friends who have and say it was a great experience. It is especially good that there are two of you, as you wouldn't be lonely.

Honestly, you may think it sounds nuts because you want paid work, but it would be a great experience and you won't break too much into your emergency funds before the paid work starts.

We actually looked at that woof site but nothing is available I actually would clean dirt in the streets and rang the local counsil sort of place and they have no work. Its hard I am not being negative I'm actually pretty positive ringing around everywhere etc. I had a trial in a cafe unpaid and apparently the owner just does that so he gets free cover for staff holidays.. I handed out leaflets and never got paid. Really trying my best

Advertisement