Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WTF have they done!

• 29-01-2013 9:42am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks,
    Have iPhone 5, on Ios 6.0. Phone has been bang on since I upgraded the to 6.0 there a few months back, then on Friday last I plugged into my laptop, itunes pops up and it syncs.
    Everything seemed fine.

Then I notice the WIFI gone, try to get it working, button disabled. Did the recommended reset etc but no joy.
    Worst still is that I notice the phone is warm as hell, unplugged and hot when its on charge. Also the battery is ruined, its losing 3% every 6 minutes, with zero apps running on it. Its not locked, but it used to be a lot lot better than that.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

yop wrote: »
    Folks,
    Have iPhone 5, on Ios 6.0. Phone has been bang on since I upgraded the to 6.0 there a few months back, then on Friday last I plugged into my laptop, itunes pops up and it syncs.
    Everything seemed fine.

Then I notice the WIFI gone, try to get it working, button disabled. Did the recommended reset etc but no joy.
    Worst still is that I notice the phone is warm as hell, unplugged and hot when its on charge. Also the battery is ruined, its losing 3% every 6 minutes, with zero apps running on it. Its not locked, but it used to be a lot lot better than that.

Any ideas?

Have you tried a full factory reset and restoring from the itunes backup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

If it didn't get wet then just arrange a warranty repair/replacement. They'll do an advanced replacement at a reasonable cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭VictorRomeo

A little trick I came across years back and seems to apply to all versions of the iPhone - including the 5 - is when battery life is draining faster than it should is to "Reset NetWork Settings" in the reset settings part of settings. It really does work - I've never bothered to learn why it happens - a combination of wifi and apps looking for notification updates perhaps. So I wasgetting about a day from a charge on the 5 and after the network settings reset a little over two days. Of coourde, you'll have to reset any wifi networks you connect to - but that it. Nothing else - especially carrier data is lost.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hi, all resets and backup/restores have been done.
    It hasn't got wet out of rain while chatting to someone for maybe 2 mins!

I have phone insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

As a mod I would have expected less drama and more search ;)

Anyway.

iOS 6.1 is out. Updated to that and it should sort your problems.

If you can't connect to wifi, plug your phone into the charger and press the home button plus sleep/wake button simultaneously and let go when the screen goes blank.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

mad muffin wrote: »
    Now now, respect your mods or a 10 year ban will occur ;)

Anyway.

If you can't connect to wifi, plug your phone into the charger and press the home button plus sleep/wake button simultaneously and let go when the screen goes blank.

Perfect re the wireless, I am checking now to see if that helped the battery life.
    I will update to 6.1 when I get home.

Much appreciated.

I searched google up and down but I never spotted that home/wake button trick :)

Now now, respect your mods or a 10 year ban will occur ;)

Perfect re the wireless, I am checking now to see if that helped the battery life.
    I will update to 6.1 when I get home.

Much appreciated.

I searched google up and down but I never spotted that home/wake button trick :)

:P:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Anyway.

Just curious but why do ya say plug I in to the charger before rebooting?

guil wrote: »

I've done it before without plugging the phone into the charger and it hasn't always worked. Since trying it with the phone plugged in, it has worked every time for anyone who has tried it.

Also when you do a reboot you get - in standby and usage until you charge the phone up again.

I've never had a problem rebooting without the charger plugged in. Is your home button faulty at all because supposedly plugging the charger in and pressing it was a temp fix

• Advertisement

I've never had a problem rebooting without the charger plugged in. Is your home button faulty at all because supposedly plugging the charger in and pressing it was a temp fix

Home button is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

No need at all to plug it in. I've been doing this with my iPhones for 5 years and have never plugged them in. In my experience and from reading many other people's ... a reboot should be done every month at least. Turning off the iPhone doesn't actually turn it off ... it just puts it to sleep.

Piliger wrote: »

No need at all to plug it in. I've been doing this with my iPhones for 5 years and have never plugged them in. In my experience and from reading many other people's ... a reboot should be done every month at least. Turning off the iPhone doesn't actually turn it off ... it just puts it to sleep.
    Did you bother to read my last post about the charger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Did you bother to read my last post about the charger?

Duh ... did you ever hear of someone agreeing with you ?

Piliger wrote: »
    Duh ... did you ever hear of someone agreeing with you ?
    lol sorry, i read it as you were correcting me on having the charger plugged in:D

lol sorry, i read it as you were correcting me on having the charger plugged in:D
    Well sweet Devine but the wireless gone again and no reset or combination is enabling the button. Drive u loopy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Then I notice the WIFI gone, try to get it working, button disabled.

Any ideas?

same problem as this ?? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79816723&postcount=5

Stuxnet wrote: »

Yip. My phone isn't new, 12 months old. The reset fixed it last week, then out of the blue it stops again.

Advertisement