Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyway to improve wireless signal?

Options
  • 29-01-2013 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

My UPC router is in an upstairs office. There, two computers are connected to it by cable, so no wireless issues.

Downstairs, I have a HI-FI system that has a wireless radio.

Even though I have broadband cable sockets (LAN sockets?) throughout the house, the socket in the downstairs room is a bit too far from the HI-FI to run a cable to it. So, I rely on listening to radio wirelessly from the upstairs router, which can be inconsistent.

What I want to know is this: is there anyway I can make use of the downstairs UPC socket to create a signal for the HI-FI that is closer to it, without running a cable across the room? (Moving the HI-FI to the socket is not on, before you ask! :p)

e.g. some sort of booster? Is there such a thing?

Thanks.

D.

ps. wasn't sure if this was the right forum. Please move, if necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You could buy a wireless access point and plug it into the Lan socket in the downstairs room . Your Hi-FI could then connect wirelessly to the AP.

I've not used one so I can't say which brands are good and which not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks.

Could you post a link to an example of what you mean?

Thanks again.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

try these ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

So, all I would need to do is plug in one of those and connect a short piece of cable from it into the LAN socket next to it.

Correct?

Many thanks.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Dinarius wrote: »
    So, all I would need to do is plug in one of those and connect a short piece of cable from it into the LAN socket next to it.

Correct?

Many thanks.

D.
    Pretty much.

There's two sockets in the set.

One to plug in near the modem - run a cable from modem to socket.

Plug second socket with the wifi on it somewhere else in the house you want better signal.

Plug cable into laptop and into the wifi socket - configure that with the same ssid and password as your existing wifi and put it on a different wifi channel.

Pair up the two socket units.

Job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You already have a lan socket in your room you don't need to use your power supply. Just Google "Wireless Access Point"

Advertisement