Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tv out - hdmi

Options
  • 29-01-2013 11:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

having a bit of trouble with tv out over hdmi on my dads laptop

it used to work instantly, plug cable in. select the option, yada yada yada. image on tv but for the last fortnight, whatever he did, there's no video.

the hdmi cable is plugged in, the laptop screen does its little refresh like it's about to start extending the desktop... but the tv screen remains black. the weird thing is that the audio is now going through the tv speakers so the signal is fine and it's getting to the tv... but there's no video, I just can't wrap my head around it.

the resolution on both devices is fine, refresh rate is fine.. those are the only things I could think of to check... I honestly have no idea what the hell could be going on here. hdmi is digital... surely it should just.. work, if the audio is getting through then the video should be too...

I got it working last week..... but I forget what I did... any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Accidentally hit some Fn key combo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no, i've fiddled around with them too.. and it is technically in extended desktop mode atm because the audio is coming through the tv.... just no video, which is what's really confusing me

the tv knows there is something connected, the laptop knows it's connected to the tv (even has the proper tv name in the graphics properties)... but only audio coming through

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Dodgy cable? Can you test with another laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭The lips

I have this in the last couple of days too.
    Mine is slightly different in that I am getting picture but no sound.

I will try a different HDMI cable over the next few days.

Windows button and p to switch, windows 7 laptop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

What brand GPU?

I'm ATI and the settings for extending the desktop are in the CCC interface.

Also sometimes there can be issues with the HDMI handshake that takes place when you first connect the device (DRM related). I've read online that powercycling the TV and Laptop while the cable is connected and disconnected can get things going again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ive tried diff hdmi cables, diff hdmi ports on the tv powering off/on everything with cable in/out

it's a dell laptop so intel onboard graphics

at this stage all i can think is that the hdmi on the laptop is ****ed.

Advertisement