Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian Food!

Options
  • 29-01-2013 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

So, I've been looking for a good Indian restaurant in Dublin City (south specifically). I have discovered some awful places.
    Most notably Indian Ocean off Camden Street, it inspired this thread, it was so bad and farcical that i left laughing at how badly everything about the places was... it was actually fun in a "I can't beleive a place could be SO bad" kinda way.

but my point is i'm sick of reading bull**** reviews on Menu Pages or Yelp, only to waste my money on below average food.

Can someone please, please, please just give me the name and location of an Indian restaurant in the city that has the impossible tri-force of
    1) Good service
    2) Good food
    3) Good price

i'm not even stretching to great here...
    Thanks a million folks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I find Diwali on George's St fab...never lets me down :)

Mantraa on Baggott St also lovely! And Shan on Crow St is nice too...

Thanks for the heads up on Indian Ocean...I was wanting to try it but gonna steer now :( What was it about the place that was so awful?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Mantraa on Baggott St also lovely! And Shan on Crow St is nice too...

Thanks for the heads up on Indian Ocean...I was wanting to try it but gonna steer now :( What was it about the place that was so awful?

Thanks for the suggestions!

I went on Saturday, booked a table, the place was about 2/3 full, started off a bit funny, having to wait 20 mins to give my order, but i wasn't in a rush and wasn't to bothered. started to annoy me that i was left waiting ages for food. but everyone was left waiting over an hour for our mains... and i know that because all the customers got talking in a kind of prison camaraderie, joking with each-other about how terrible the service was.. a group of english lads where in good spirits despite waiting an hour an 30, and when it did come some dishes where warm and some where cold.

The waiter then asked if they're beer was ok.. on of the lads said.. "yeah, it's warmer than my food" and everyone in the places started laughing. another couple then said they'd leave if they didn't have their main's in 5 mins, luckily they arrived.. but it wasn't what they ordered so they stormed out and refused to pay.

Everyone left just began joking with each-other. one guy was bragging that his plate was hot and we asked (in a joking sort of way) what was so special about that guy...

i spent 2 hours in the place and left as soon as i finished my food (which wasn't to bad actually) but found that i wasn't all that annoyed, just so very amazing that everyone in the place experience such awful service.

to make things hilariously worse, we where offered a 20% discount NEXT TIME we eat there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Which of the restaurants did you go to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

yup, should have made that clear, i was talking about Indian Ocean off Camden Street. oh.. the horror.

Mantraa on Baggott St is quite close to me, so i'll probably give that a try next time i'm heading out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

+1. I go there for lunch a fair bit but was in for Saturday night dinner a couple of weeks ago, and it was brilliant.

If you want to trade up for somewhere a bit posher but still very good, Jaipur is across the street.

• Advertisement

Ah Jaipur, I had forgotten about there, this is really nice as well, great setting! It also has a sister restaurant, Ananda, in Dundrum Shopping Centre - not exactly city centre, but felt it deserves a mention as it's top class Indian food! And it's easily accessible by Stephen's Green luas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

+1 Diwali

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

konkan on clanbrassil street is good but i love tandoori bite in richmond street south and poppadom at home in harolds cross

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

If you can travel out of city centre I would recommend Indie Spice in Sandymount. Absolutely faultless food and service!! Best onion bhajis I have ever tasted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Sunny.Days

I know it's not city centre but Shanai in Cabinteely is one of my favourite restaurants. The food is delicious, really reasonable too. They have great early bird deals! Plus the service is great, I've been a few times and they never fail to forget me. I think the last time I went it had been at least two years since my last visit and they welcomed me in like a regular. Definitely worth a visit. The only downside is there's never very many people there, probably due to the location so atmosphere is lacking a bit but if you have a big group you've nothing to worry about!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Newly opened Indie Dhaba on South Anne's Lane off grafton st is worth a try.
    Not usual Indian fare, but more tapas and creative.
    V tasty!

Actually I've also heard good things about Delhi O'Deli (sp!?) on Moore St...I need to try it someday - the smells that come out when I'm passing always make my mouth water!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

frag420 wrote: »
    If you can travel out of city centre I would recommend Indie Spice in Sandymount. Absolutely faultless food and service!! Best onion bhajis I have ever tasted!

I clicked into this thread to recommend Indie Spice in Sandymount! Fantastic food there, particularly the starters.

Was a bit disappointed last time I was in as they seated us near the door and kitchen and they were extremely busy with take-away business. Ask for a seat near the window!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Madina on Mary Street is probably one of the most authentic Indian's in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Newly opened Indie Dhaba on South Anne's Lane off grafton st is worth a try.
    Not usual Indian fare, but more tapas and creative.
    V tasty!

I only heard about that yesterday, the menu looks absolutely gorgeous, dying to try it.

I love Indian food but I've actually never eaten in an Indian restaurant in the city centre. By far the best Indian I've eaten in has been Cinnamon Garden in Ashbourne.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

The best I've been to in Ireland was the Kinara Kitchen in Ranelagh. Really nice food, but not the cheapest. http://www.kinarakitchen.ie/

Agree with you ibarelycare, Cinnamon Garden in ashbourne is savagely good too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Another for Diwali - the quality of the sauces is a good bit ahead of other restaurants, less oily in texture.

Jaipur has some nice dishes and is near Diwali so you can have a look at both menus.

Delhi-oh-Deli is good and very cheap, with a focus on vegetarian "street" food. So you've got the equivalent of an Indian pancake there for example. Certainly seems authentic - haven't seen similar dishes elsewhere in Dublin and it's very cheap. It's on the north side but still in the city centre.

If you're willing to go northside then Kinara in Clontarf is great and possibly my favourite Indian restaurant. Pricey but it does make up for it in quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Cienciano wrote: »
    The best I've been to in Ireland was the Kinara Kitchen in Ranelagh. Really nice food, but not the cheapest. http://www.kinarakitchen.ie/

Agree with you ibarelycare, Cinnamon Garden in ashbourne is savagely good too.

Kinara are also inClontarf, and afaik they have a sister restaurant in Malahide. Unbelievably good, not your typical indian food. Its East Indian and Pakistani food

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I work with an indian guy so we have tried most of the places around town over the past few years.

The only one we go back to is Madina on Mary Street.
    The food is amazing, service is ok not fantastic and does depend on how busy it is.
    The lunch menu is really cheap (huge chicken biryani for 4.95) and I have tried the evening menu which is also quite cheap.

The butter chicken is amazing.

Deli o Delhi is also quite good as far as vegetarian food goes..

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

1+ for Indiespice, been to the ones in Sandymount and Swords, both fantastic.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭mailforkev

If you fancy a trip southside, hop on the DART and pop out to Rasam in Glasthule. It's particularly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

ixoy wrote: »
    If you're willing to go northside then Kinara in Clontarf is great and possibly my favourite Indian restaurant. Pricey but it does make up for it in quality.
    MarkMc wrote: »
    Kinara are also inClontarf, and afaik they have a sister restaurant in Malahide. Unbelievably good, not your typical indian food. Its East Indian and Pakistani food

Could also go even further to Okra Green in Howth which was set up by former Kinara staff. Again pricey but top quality with great view. Again East Indian/Pakistani.

Advertisement