Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council to help buy hotel for new community centre

Options
  • 29-01-2013 11:25am

http://www.galwaynews.ie/30040-council-help-buy-hotel-new-community-centre
    Galway City Council has committed in principle to contribute to the purchase of a hotel in Doughiska so it can be used as a community centre and as a church.

The Council last night agreed to give €200,000 to the Doughiska, Roscam, Ardaun Community Group (DRA) over a four year period to help them buy the Amber House Hotel, formerly the Racing Lodge Hotel, for €520,000.
    It is good to see property that has been empty for several years being put to use.

It seems it might also serve as a church.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Great to see that it might be put to some use - certainly from the exterior, the building looks to be in good nick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

http://www.galwaynews.ie/30040-council-help-buy-hotel-new-community-centre

It is good to see property that has been empty for several years being put to use.

It seems it might also serve as a church.

There's no might about it, the parish has been planning a move to the hotel/community center for a while. I don't know what type of discussions were involved between the parish (priest) and the community organisation, but it's not exactly uncommon for the church to be patrons of community facilities (I believe the community center in Mervue was set up that way).

Given how long it's been idle though, I find it a bit strange that the hotel wasn't used as temporary accommodation for the schools - or even as a possible full time home for the primary school.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

€500,000 for a 20 bed run down building.
    There are 3 bed houses in the area wanting €200,000!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Shanley

Does anybody actually know who they are buying the building off?

AFAIK an ex-mayor....typical (wont write his name unless it can be confirmed?)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭leedslad

Shanley wrote: »

I think in this case, that the ex-Mayor is being fairly astute. What if it turned out that one of the owners was a former Council colleague,party member etc. Imagine the slagging that he would get for lining the pockets of a "friend"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Ignatious Foy was the original developer, way back in 2002. Sometime later it came under the control of Stephen Harris (whose name is associated with planning applications in 2006).

It's unclear if Harrko/Harrmack still owns this property as that company is now in NAMA and I don't recall seeing a listing for the hotel in the property list - though it does explain the relative cheapness of the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

If this is going to be a Catholic Church, does anyone know are they going to be making a contribution to the cost?

Mr_A wrote: »
    If this is going to be a Catholic Church, does anyone know are they going to be making a contribution to the cost?
    The article suggests a grant or a loan of 300k is being negotiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

It (was) Stephen Harris'. It's being sold by a receiver for Bank of Scotland (Ireland).
    Val Hanley only had a lease but his company went into liquidation a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Mr_A

Thanks- I thought I'd read that link but it was a shorter story I saw, maybe it was the same story but updated later.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

Not often they put themselves in a position to be praised so fair play to them.

Advertisement