Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cardboard Pet Carrier

• 29-01-2013 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all, I was trying to source a cardboard pet carrier for taking a cat to the vets, I tried maxi zoo but they didn't have any. There are some on amazon but they don't seem to deliver to ireland, anyone know of any websites that sell them?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why would you want one out of cardboard that they can scratch out of?! A plastic one can easily be taken in half or a soft cloth one can be squeesed down (both types sold by Zooplus).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I agree about the cardboard, we have a cat here that has shredded a strong cardboard box to bits in less than 30mins when he's on form.
    If you ask your vet some will loan a carrier, some ask for a deposit, or ask someone you know for a loan of one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cheaper in the long run to get a plastic one Argos do them you can generally get them for under 15 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Ok thanks for the advice,
    most of american sites say that they are reinforced so the cat cant shread them. I figure there must be some reason why they are so hard to get. Thought it might be that shops didnt want to sell them when they can sell the more expensive plastic ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They are used for shelter cats when they get adopted. The box stays in the kennel with them at the shelter, so they can use it as a hidey hole so they're less stressed. Then when they are taken to their new home, the box goes with them as it has their smell/scent on it so they feel less scared. I think it's a great idea. Tried sourcing them myself for my foster kitties but it's an American company that makes them. They don't seem to be available outside of the states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

was in Petmania at the weekend and they had small carriers for €19.99 think they are meant for a small dog but would suit a cat too.

They're only for temporary use, if a cats pukes or pees in them during transport you'd end up having to chuck it anyway. They used them a lot on those US shows when they have a shed loads of cats to collect.

One tip: Get a plastic carrier with the seat belt thing on the top of it, they aren't any dearer than other carriers but are much handier to secure in the car when travelling and if you can, get a metal door but the plastic ones are fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We bought one in a pet shop in the UK, many years ago, to take a new cat to the vet. Within less than 10 minutes of being in the car he had forced his head through the side of the box. I always remember it when I see that scene in The Shining were Jack Nickolson puts his head through the hole in the door and says 'Here's Johnny':D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm looking for a third carrier now we have officially got 3 cats, I love the wicker one at the bottom of this page, just not sure how durable it will be.
    There's a nice collapsible nylon once for £17.90, just about €20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We got great ones on lidl, canvas foldable ones and as far as I remember they were cheap enough. My cats find them way comfier than the plastic ones as they aren't slipping and sliding all over the place and the straps are easy to seatbelt in. The vets I'm doing my placement in has some cardboard ones at the moment for people who ask to borrow a carrier so you could maybe try asking your vet if they have any.

• Advertisement

What's the brand that your vet uses?

Would be great for foster kitties going to their homes, bringing their hidey box/bed with them! :)

I shall find out for you in the morning :)

Those cardboard cat carriers are called pet savers I think and are done by the BSAVA, the vets get them through a supplier so I'm not sure how the public could go about buying them but I'm sure your vets could order them in for you :)

Cool!

SillyMangoX could you ask the vet which supplier they source them from? I could order some through our vet but it'd speed things up to know which supplier to order them from. :)

Ill see what I can do. :)

I find wicker hard to clean the plastic ones aren't slippy if you get one with a seatbelt holder thing on the top of it and non-slip vet bed the canvas ones tend to smell after a bit even with cleaning and can rip. I prefer the plastic in the long run.

The suppliers my vet gets them from is Duggan veterinary :)

Thank you!

Advertisement