Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skinny Boxer

• 29-01-2013 12:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭

Hoping someone can help here.

Our 2yr old Boxer is very skinny, im convinced if a warden saw her she would be taken off us for malnutrition. She eats like a horse though, she is fed twice a day(big feeds) but she is so skinny. When she stands a certain way you can see all of her ribs and the bones of her spine. We have tried 5-6 different foods ranging from expensive "Boxer" food to bog standard Lidl food but nothing has changed.

Other than being too skinny (IMO) she is perfectly healthy and bouncy like every other boxer so its very confusing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

What food is she on at the moment?

I would try little and often, large feeds arent good for dogs and can cause bloat.

Have you tried adding raw meat etc to her diet?

Have you had her checked at the vet for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

All boxers are different one of mine would considered skinny other is a lot bigger.

I think ideal weight they say is Males 60 - 70 pounds (27 - 32 kg) Females 53 - 65 pounds (24 - 29 kg)

Did you ever weigh her?

Do she go to toilet a lot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

First I would cut the size of the meals and maybe give 3 feeds a day instead. Too much food will just run through some dogs, one of mine is like that.
    I had issues keeping weight on him when young and vet suggested making a kind of casserole with rice and meat and veg to help bulk him up, and increasing feeds to 3 or 4 smaller ones a day.

I have since discovered that a lamb and rice based food with no other meat sources works well and he's looking great. But it took a lot of trial and error, I went for ones with very little ingredients in the list and a named meat rather than just meat/meat derivatives on the label.

At 2 she should be filling out a bit, but its better to be on the thinner side, some dogs just are. My fella is very hairy and people thought he was fat, until they touched him and felt every bone so I know how you feel.
    As said is she pooping a lot? That can be a sign the food isn't suiting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ferretcrazy

Hi, we had a foster boxer staying with us for 3 months and when she arived you could see her spine, every rib and her hip bones, I had to put on a dog coat when walking her cos she looked so bad and kept her on a lead for walks cos boxers burn a lot when running around like mad things,To start with we got a good worm dose from a vet then put her on 4 small meals a day and plenty of treats through the day, you could see a big difference in 2 weeks, a good shine came back to her coat and at the end of the 3 months she had put on nearly 1 quarter of her weight when she arrived. Hope that helps:D

Advertisement