Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favorite Music Genre

Options
  • 29-01-2013 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

So my friend and I were talking about music genres. We both consider ourselves to have a broad enough taste in music, eg. he likes electronic (specifically house), dance, classical, metal and soundtracks. I like alternative, rock, dance and house etc. But we were wondering what genre would be the most popular universally at the moment.

So whats your favourite genre? :)

Favorite Genre? 33 votes

Alternative
    0% 0 votes
    Blues
    9% 3 votes
    Classical
    3% 1 vote
    Comedy
    0% 0 votes
    Country
    0% 0 votes
    Dance
    3% 1 vote
    Electronic
    0% 0 votes
    Hip-Hop/Rap
    12% 4 votes
    Jazz
    18% 6 votes
    Metal
    6% 2 votes
    Pop
    9% 3 votes
    R&B/Soul
    3% 1 vote
    Reggae
    0% 0 votes
    Rock
    0% 0 votes
    Soundtrack
    15% 5 votes
    Traditional
    0% 0 votes
    Punk
    0% 0 votes
    Classical Rock
    3% 1 vote
    Indie
    6% 2 votes
    Other
    12% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I like most genres barr certain kinds of metal and electronica, but where's the option for folk? Trad is good but its not all encompassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Should be a multi option poll, therer is too much crossover to pick just one.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Do explain the difference between 'rock and 'classic rock' please :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Where's progressive pirate metal?

I went with 'alternative' because it could basically mean anything under the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,790 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Thats a perfect example of what I meant above

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I picked Hip-Hop/Rap because I f*cking love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Psychedelic rock

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

genres are shi t.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I picked Hip-Hop/Rap because I f*cking love it :D

It's tied for the lead now. Hope we win :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Chikablam

I only listened to post-modern, jazz-infusioned, blackened death-pop.
    Anyone who listens to anything else is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

It's tied for the lead now. Hope we win :pac:.

Ah sure, if you can appreciate music from any genre then you've already won imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Good point !! All labels applied to music are a bit silly IMO. It's all music at the end of the day. "Classic" rock is particularly silly as it is entirely dependent on your age. Being the old dinosaur that I am, I laugh out loud when I see the likes of Bon Jovi being put into the "Classic" rock category. :D

Having said the above, in the interest of participation, I voted for jazz.

Classic Rock is more of a radio format than a genre imo.

I personally find genres (and sub-genres) to be quite useful for finding bands similar to those you like. Obviously they're never going to be hard and fast and there will be overlap, but they're none the less useful once you take them for what they are.

Classic Rock is more of a radio format than a genre imo.

Care to expand a little on this ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I don't understand the question...?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

EM_181_L.jpg
    In reality - i like almost anything (not too fond of country, diddly eye or opera, but even in these i have exceptions) Good old fashioned rock and roll is my fav though, closely followed by hip hop and cheap and nasty pop. I really dont understand people who claim to not like pop music - i mean who doesn't like catchy tunes by sexy singers? It goes against all common sense!

Rigsby wrote: »
    Care to expand a little on this ? :confused:

It doesn't have a set definition as to what characteristics make something classic rock, as opposed to normal rock. It's generally just the music favoured by classic rock radio, which can cover a huge range of sounds. The only stipulation for classic rock seems to be that it has to be a certain age, with no consensus as to what age that is.

Edit: From Last.fm
    Classic rock was originally conceived as a radio station programming format which evolved from the album oriented rock (AOR) format in the early-1980s. In the United States, this rock music format now features a large playlist of songs ranging from the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s, with some stations including a limited number of current releases.

It doesn't have a set definition as to what characteristics make something classic rock, as opposed to normal rock. It's generally just the music favoured by classic rock radio, which can cover a huge range of sounds. The only stipulation for classic rock seems to be that it has to be a certain age, with no consensus as to what age that is.

As good a definition as you'll get. There are mixed opinions on the subject on another forum :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056736566

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

I really dont understand people who claim to not like pop music - i mean who doesn't like catchy tunes by sexy singers? It goes against all common sense!

+1

Everyone has guilty pleasures, just so long as you like the tunes as good pop tunes and don't make them out to be any more than that.
    Classic rock was originally conceived as a radio station programming format which evolved from the album oriented rock (AOR) format in the early-1980s. In the United States, this rock music format now features a large playlist of songs ranging from the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s, with some stations including a limited number of current releases.

So classic rock is basically another way of saying middle of the road rock?

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Where are the synthpop, gothic rock, industrial, and hardcore options?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

karaokeman wrote: »
    +1

Everyone has guilty pleasures, just so long as you like the tunes as good pop tunes and don't make them out to be any more than that.

I think most people have a soft spot for a catchy pop tune, just some more readily admit it than others. Cry Me A River by Justin Timberlake came up on shuffle on my iPod the last night when I went out for a walk, and I don't care what anyone says, that is a great tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

SubBusted wrote: »
    Where are the synthpop, gothic rock, industrial, and hardcore options?

Where's glitch, shoegaze, drum and bass, new wave, baroque pop, gypsy jazz etc? Them, along with the other billion sub genres aren't included for obvious reasons.

I voted Electronic as it encompasses more than any other genre of music I listen to.

OK I voted (the first/only one for punk) but I don't get some of those options.

For example, "comedy" as a music genre?
    "Soundtrack" is an actual genre too?
    What's the difference between alternative and indie? (I have an opinion on that myself, just not sure it's the same as the poll poster)
    The distinction between electronic and dance I don't get (I did vote "punk" after all)

The entire concept of "genres" is out of date in my opinion anyway. The Clash's "Sandinista" would prove that by 1980, but I'm sure there was far earlier examples. There's a million bands today that get called "crossover" like The Pogues, Radio 4, and too many I can't list here.

What's the difference between alternative and indie? (I have an opinion on that myself, just not sure it's the same as the poll poster)
    The distinction between electronic and dance I don't get (I did vote "punk" after all)
    Technically 'alternative' refers to anything that isn't pop music and 'indie' refers to independently-released music so both of them are vague umberella terms covering a multitude of genres with a lot of overlap.

The distinction between electronic and dance is easier. Dance is just one style of electronic music (dance itself has many styles). You also have other styles that aren't really 'danceable' like ambient electronic and industrial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Hardcore Bulgarian Trance :pac:

no but really, a bit of tech house, prog house, tech trance, 90s to early 2000s commerecial dance/ trance... Some deeper stuff aswell, and harder stuff also, dnb, I think i must have gave up listenin out for new stuff 10 years ago, mostly listen to pop these days

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

No option for Post-avante Jazzcore.

Not voting.

For example, "comedy" as a music genre?

The likes of The Lonely Island and Tenacious D would fall into this, though obviously the actual music they produce would fall into a regular genre as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Where's monster metal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

I voted 'Other'. Why? 'Cuz f*ck you, that's why! I want my Gregorian Chant.

• Advertisement

Sinfonia wrote: »
    I voted 'Other'. Why? 'Cuz f*ck you, that's why! I want my Gregorian Chant.
    You can have your Gregorian chanting, I'll have my barbershop quartet.

Advertisement