Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a scroll saw - any suggestions?

• 29-01-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭

I've searched and found nothing recent, so a new thread...

Looking to build some toys for my wee daughter, a balance bike and a rocking horse are the first major goals - she's only 4 months yet so I've a bit of time to practice and make little toys en-route to the above, and down the line some things like xmas ornaments for the tree etc.

Anyway, I've been searching for a reasonably priced (sub-€200 inc delivery) scroll saw, and the availability in Ireland is pretty limited - I found a SIP, a Record, a Jet.

Some forums in the UK recommend only getting a Henger but I can't afford that, so it's really just a case of which is the least bad that I can afford? I don't want to get an expensive one and decide this is not for me, likewise I don't want to go so cheap that the tool is the limiting factor, not my skills.

If anyone has any suggestions as to where to get one, or what to get or even better, avoid, it'd be much appreciated.

Axminster in the UK ship to Ireland for £30, so I was looking at
    this but read somewhere that this one isn't great, you need to up in the price range for Axminster.

Then there's the scheppach
    i Initialy thought the flex drive would be handy, but I have a Dremel so don't "need" that attachment. The next Scheppach is twice that price or so.

A Clarke

In ireland, a SIP but out of stock
    or a record

Jet
    the record again

Every so often Aldi/Lidl have ones which are probably even cheaper, but as I said above I don't want to go so cheap that I'm wondering if it's the tool or me.

Ideally:
    Variable speed
    Pinless blades to try interir fretwork
    Quick change blades

Most of the above all look exactly the same, so would appear to be the same saw rebadged, so likely either all as bad or as good as each other.

Thanks for any info.
    K
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

Not based on the actual scroll saw, but have a few tools made by clarke and as a cheaper manufacture they are very well made and would recommend them, I also got my Dad to pick up stuff in Machine Mart over Christmas and he said their customer service was 110%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

The Jet one is supposed to be pretty good but the blade clamps need to be filed smooth so they will grip the blade tightly and not slip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

kenmc wrote: »
    I've searched and found nothing recent, so a new thread...

Looking to build some toys for my wee daughter, a balance bike and a rocking horse are the first major goals - she's only 4 months yet so I've a bit of time to practice and make little toys en-route to the above, and down the line some things like xmas ornaments for the tree etc.

Anyway, I've been searching for a reasonably priced (sub-€200 inc delivery) scroll saw, and the availability in Ireland is pretty limited - I found a SIP, a Record, a Jet.

Some forums in the UK recommend only getting a Henger but I can't afford that, so it's really just a case of which is the least bad that I can afford? I don't want to get an expensive one and decide this is not for me, likewise I don't want to go so cheap that the tool is the limiting factor, not my skills.

If anyone has any suggestions as to where to get one, or what to get or even better, avoid, it'd be much appreciated.

Axminster in the UK ship to Ireland for £30, so I was looking at
    this but read somewhere that this one isn't great, you need to up in the price range for Axminster.

Then there's the scheppach
    i Initialy thought the flex drive would be handy, but I have a Dremel so don't "need" that attachment. The next Scheppach is twice that price or so.

A Clarke

In ireland, a SIP but out of stock
    or a record

Jet
    the record again

Every so often Aldi/Lidl have ones which are probably even cheaper, but as I said above I don't want to go so cheap that I'm wondering if it's the tool or me.

Ideally:
    Variable speed
    Pinless blades to try interir fretwork
    Quick change blades

Most of the above all look exactly the same, so would appear to be the same saw rebadged, so likely either all as bad or as good as each other.

Thanks for any info.
    K

McQuillan Tools sell Clarke tools and machines...and they have a sale on at the moment.

Capel Street and also Blanchardstown Retail Park too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) I have a Hegner and its smooth as butter. All I'd say is get variable speed - its useful for cutting metals and also get a holdown. Its surprising how the blade wants to lift the work off the table and a holdown lets you concentrate on the cutting.One of those articulated air tubes is also great for blowing the dust away.
    Axminster do 4 fretsaws at present ( one is a Hegner knock-off at £385 ) but you can rely on them for good aftermarket service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

paddy147 wrote: »
    McQuillan Tools sell Clarke tools and machines...and they have a sale on at the moment.

Capel Street and also Blanchardstown Retail Park too.
    Interesting - although the only one listed on their website is a Scheppach 405 @ €295, which is a really good price for it, it's 349+15 shipping on ebay.de or £330 + whatever shipping from machinemart. Gets a good review as well. Might be an option, especially if they've a sale on....

recipio wrote: »
    ;) I have a Hegner and its smooth as butter. All I'd say is get variable speed - its useful for cutting metals and also get a holdown. Its surprising how the blade wants to lift the work off the table and a holdown lets you concentrate on the cutting.One of those articulated air tubes is also great for blowing the dust away.
    Axminster do 4 fretsaws at present ( one is a Hegner knock-off at £385 ) but you can rely on them for good aftermarket service.

That's very interesting also, as anything I've read says that these are unnecessary and to take them off, as well as the safety guard! I guess it depends on the size of the piece you're working it to some degree, if there's enough weight in it it could keep itself down, whereas if it's a very small, light bit it would obviously tend to lift. They all seem to come with one anyway, so I guess you could chose to leave it on or remove it as needed. They all also seem to come with a wee blower, but not all with vari-speed, which is one of my requirements.
    Cheers
    K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Yes, most saws come with a holdown. I had to buy one for the Hegner. I find that anything over 6mm wants to jump off the table unless firmly pressed down.Dust clearance is an absolute essential and those articulated tubes are much better than an ordinary plastic tube.
    The Scheppach should be a good buy and I read good things about the DeWalt saw also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

recipio wrote: »
    Yes, most saws come with a holdown. I had to buy one for the Hegner. I find that anything over 6mm wants to jump off the table unless firmly pressed down.Dust clearance is an absolute essential and those articulated tubes are much better than an ordinary plastic tube.
    The Scheppach should be a good buy and I read good things about the DeWalt saw also.
    Haven't seen a DeWalt anywhere in the UK or Ireland, seems to be in the US.

Advertisement