Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

China (Shanghai) on your own?

• 29-01-2013 12:52pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I may be going to visit a friend in Shanghai for a week or two quite soon. Nothing is Final yet but he’s always on at me to come visit him and I may have the time so I’m hoping I can go. My concern is that he’ll be at work during the day etc – and I would really love to get out and see the city etc – but I’ll be on my own and I’m told unless you speak Chinese you haven’t a hope of getting around etc. I love big Asian cities so I’d love to get out and about and explore as much as possible. I’m big into Photography so I really want to get out and take loads of photos too. So I’m wondering how tricky it is, and how people manage? Can you join English speaking bus tours etc?

I had a (possibly crazy) idea but I’d love to be able to meet some fellow photographers who might know the city and speak English (maybe expats) and like some time during the day when my mate is in work etc. Do other tourists perhaps ever get together if travelling alone etc?

Any ideas or advice you guys have are appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I don't like Shanghai but it's pretty easy to get around. The metro is extensive and signs are in English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Shanghai is not difficult to get around as a non-Mandarin speaker at all, you'll be fine. If you can say please/thank you and point at what you want you'll be alright anywhere in the world imo.

You'll have lots of opportunities to get good shots in Shanghai, make sure you head down to the Bund (along the river) at night, it's a photographer's dream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

I did pretty much the same thing twice, visiting a friend working in Shanghai. The first time I found it really lonely and Shanghai to be quite a boring place. English is not widespread although younger people are likely to be able to speak a bit.

I found heading to the Irish bars in the French quarter for lunch was a good way to get chatting to people. If your starving and are really looking to order european food in english go to ruzzi near the Fuzhou Road.The young staff will practice their english on you which can be pretty funny:D

Otherwise I found it probably one of the hardest cities in the world to meet fellow travelers.

Advertisement