Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Problem

Options
  • 29-01-2013 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have recently applied for a job at a hotel. Im nervous about going for the interview because im a fair bit overweight and this will obviously result in me sweating a lot etc. I have years of previous experience, but that was in a family business which is now gone. I had the same problems then as now but i wont be working for the uncle this time.

Will the manager take one look at me and tell me of eff off, or will i be given a chance to prove myself given that i have the credentials ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

I can only give you one piece of advice: If you go into an interview with this kind of confidence you will not get the job no matter what you look like. That said I think you should not worry, be passionate when you talk about previous experience. SInce you have the credentials and experience you have every right to be seriously considered for the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Just do the best you can at the interview.

some people do discriminate against overweight people, but not everyone does. Just assume they won't discriminate and have a positive attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

tony81 wrote: »
    Just do the best you can at the interview.

some people do discriminate against overweight people, but not everyone does. Just assume they won't discriminate and have a positive attitude.

Then thats half the country unable to get a job then seeing as 50% of the population of Ireland are either obese or overweight, I dont know if such discrimination still exists when so many heavy people exist but if it does, its probably towards people who are 20+ stone and whom employers would see as unable to look after themselves..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

its probably towards people who are 20+ stone and whom employers would see as unable to look after themselves..

Well, that's the group I was referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Antiperspirant will stop you sweating so much right away.
    Incidentally reducing/eliminating meat consumption will fix any body odour issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

im a fair bit overweight and this will obviously result in me sweating a lot etc.
    It may be an idea to get the sweating problem sorted anyhoos. Goto the doctor and see if he's of any help. If you don't think your doctor will help, goto another doctor.

Antiperspirants may help, as may a change in the material that you are wearing.

Personally, the stuff I wear is mainly cotten based, but I'd sweat if I wore clothes heavy in polyester (you'll find a lot of trousers will be polyester). Although polyester is usually easier to keep clean, it pumps the sweat out of some people.

In the job itself, once you don't have any tattoos, see if you can get away with wearing short sleeved shirts, as again; you'll be cooler (heatwise anyway :P).

Doubt very much the interview will begin and conclude with the manager telling you to "eff off" as you suggested :eek:

Seriously though, unless your weight is an obstacle to you doing the job you're asking for, and you said you have several years experience behind you, then a professional business person is highly unlikely to allow something like that get in the way of him making sure the hotel hires the best possible candidate.

I'd put more of an effort into making sure your references check out if I were you, and the usual stuff applicants get worried about. But this? Sorry mate, but the more you dwell on the problem the worse you make it, when in actual fact it needn't be a problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Whiplashy

I found myself in your position this time last year. I had an interview for a job that I had no relevant experience for (training was provided). I convinced myself before hand that I hadn't a hope of getting the job because of my weight. I therefore viewed it as interview practice rather than an actual interview. As a result I was totally relaxed and completely myself at the interview, and I got the job.

Don't allow your weight to stand between you and this job. In reality very few, if any, potential employers are going to make a decision based on your weight. However if you allow yourself to get too stressed out about it then you probably won't do yourself justice in the interview.

You also should consider making some changes in your life. After getting my job last year I finally came to the realisation that I was allowing my weight to hinder my life and vowed to never allow that to happen again. I've since lost over 5 stone and couldn't be happier.

Best of luck with your interview and rest assured your weight won't decide the outcome, you will :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

Seeing that alot of work is basically about solving problems or "fulfilling needs" as posh people might say (which is the same as solving problems) what you need above all is people capable of identifying problems. I think you've already proved this in your post, so I'd say they'd be lucky to get you.

Advertisement