Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flea Collar for cat

• 29-01-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone knows if flea collars for cats can make them ill? I bought my 8 year old cat a collar last week but the past few days she's acting 'odd' and a bit out of it. She's still leaving the house, sitting with me etc but she was sitting with me this morning and the smell from the collar was very strong so I took it off her as I though maybe she might have something to do with it?
    I'll be keeping an eye on her and Im going to leave the collar off but I was just wondering if anyone knows if flea collars can be dangerous or am I being paranoid!
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

They have a lot of chemicals on them so they aren't good, I wouldn't use one on my pets personally. Also I have heard that they aren't very effective. Your money would be much better spent on a spot in treatment that can be got at any vets. I would take it off if you think it is making her unwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yep they can, made a previous cat I had very woozy so I switched back then to flea drops they'd only just come on the market. Much more reliable and if one brand doesn't suit your cat there's others. Flea collars are a waste of money too the generally don't work very well and the cat can get themselves caught with them on. If she's not improved a few hours after you take it off I'd take her to the vets just to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

A lot of the old flea collar brands use permethrin, which is toxic to cats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's interesting Gorgeous Guineas posted about the permethrin being toxic to guinea pigs it's usually used to treat lice but is bad for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭ilovetorun

Thanks for the replies guys, since taking the collar off she's much better. I had gotten drops from my vet but they hadnt worked so I thought a collar was the next option. Im so glad I asked for advice, I never knew they can be so dangerous. Lesson learnt...thanks again

• Advertisement
Advertisement