Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Settling dog into new house

Options
  • 29-01-2013 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi all!

I recently moved house along with my partner and our 17 month old labrador. I know my dog will take a while to settle in but in terms of trying to get him used to bein out during the day and not cooped up in the house, what is the best approach.

At moment when he is outside he either sits at the front door crying to be let back in or is jumping up on the window sills to see where we are and to let him in again!!

Should we ignore this behaviour as cannot give into his every whim? I know its early days but just need a bit of advice about this and to start as we mean to go on!!

Cheers :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My fella refused to walk on the wood floor for 3 weeks when we moved!
    The bitch didn't bat an eyelid!

It's a big change and the weather isn't great yet, I moved christmas last year and found things easier as the weather improved, I left the door open and they went in and out as they pleased. As it got warmer they happily sat out for hours, but would check where we were from time to time.

Take it slow and give him a chance to settle, if he's used to being in it will take a while. Are you trying to get him to be outside all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

He was always outside in the last house and wasnt a bother on him! I guess he is just unsettled with the move and will take a while to get used to the new environment! He is very clingy and wants to be with us all the time! And like you said, the weather is so bad and rainy that it doesnt help! He hasnt got a good walk in last 2 days cos of it!! He will prob get better in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

He's probably just looking for reassurance in his new surroundings, have you tried giving him bedding with you scent?
    Something from inside the house that you have used, old clothes or blankets work.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭caitrionaanne

Thats a good idea! Might throw out some old piece of clothing into his outside kennel and hope he doesnt rip it all up! LOL! Anything is worth a try! Time is probably the key!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭phelo2121

Give or hide treats outside for him and new toys to distract him, kongs are brilliant for this! Like a crate or new kennel he needs to see this new area as a good place where he gets nice things!

• Advertisement
Advertisement