Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina Cinema Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

http://www.mayomovieworld.ie/

Haven't seen it yet, will probably go this weekend though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RedRiverRiot

Hey guys any word on this? Just moved back to Ballina for the summer to see family and living without a cinema sucks!

Hey guys any word on this? Just moved back to Ballina for the summer to see family and living without a cinema sucks!

Haven't heard anything, boxes stacked up inside it on Saturday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hennesm

Went past today. Workmen said it was opening again in two weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Hope so - we really miss it in this house.

• Advertisement

We miss it too, missed so many good films over the summer !

Was in Castlebar at the weekend to see Elysium, i hope Ballina cinema returns and has decent popcorn as the stuff in Castlebar is muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

Anyone know if it's being run by the same crowd or is there somebody new taking over?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

Anyone know if it's being run by the same crowd or is there somebody new taking over?

Richie71 wrote: »

If it really is being reopened then they would be retarded to let the same people run it. The management there was ridicolous, they ran the place into the ground and hadn't the first clue about how to get people in.

• Advertisement

If it really is being reopened then they would be retarded to let the same people run it. The management there was ridicolous, they ran the place into the ground and hadn't the first clue about how to get people in.

Agreed. Castlebar do a fair few special offers for parents/kids and students.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Lots of activity up there today - they seemed to be plastering over where the ticket office that never opened was!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sassyball

This cinema was ran great in the beginning it was only in the later years it became bad and that was all the doing of one particular person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

If it is ran well we will be regular customers... we had so many bad experiences in the ballina cinema !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I disagree it was never well ran, screen was usually focused incorrectly this would happen quiet a few times during each film in the first few years, less so in recent times but it still occurred. They never did anything to attract customers, they expected them to flock in which they didn't, the place had no atmosphere and while it was a much nicer building than Castlebar it failed to attract.

I think it has a lot of potential, hopefully if it does reopen it will do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

It was cold in the winter as well. Always used to wear layers and have a scarf handy.

Best of luck to new gang running it. Hope it is a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christy_weezer

really glad to hear this, living in west sligo it was the closest cinema we had, definitely agree about it being poorly run before though, hope the new crowd do a good job!

They are advertising for a cinema manager on jobs.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sassyball

I am talking about when it first opened it was extremly well ran it was until the first batch of mangement left that it all went downhill

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Faith2013

Daisy M wrote: »
    I disagree it was never well ran, screen was usually focused incorrectly this would happen quiet a few times during each film in the first few years, less so in recent times but it still occurred. They never did anything to attract customers, they expected them to flock in which they didn't, the place had no atmosphere and while it was a much nicer building than Castlebar it failed to attract.

I think it has a lot of potential, hopefully if it does reopen it will do well.

Yeap... Worst managed cinema in Ireland. The focusing of the movie was constant issue,, you would have to leave the movie to ask them to refocus it.

Also they didn't do much to promote the place in Ballina. Hopefully the new manager will be better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

sassyball wrote: »
    I am talking about when it first opened it was extremly well ran it was until the first batch of mangement left that it all went downhill

Yes I understood that and disagree completely. In my opinion it was never well ran and was at its lowest when it first opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

On the Ballina Community Radio Facebook page says that it is reopening.No date tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Faith2013

On the Ballina Community Radio Facebook page says that it is reopening.No date tho.

I would say pretty soon, they are working on it everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Closing date for CVs to manager job is today:

http://m.jobs.ie/Job/1292266/

Reopening on the 27th of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 M.onthemoy

Also it has 3D...

Breaking news in the Western People today: The cinema is going to reopen.

...just two weeks behind this thread and calling it Ballina Cineplex - the old brand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭christy_weezer

Anyone go to it yet?

Advertisement