Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballina Cinema Closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Nope, they weren't showing the movie i wanted to see :(

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Yes was there Saturday night. Great not to have to go to Castlebar. Front area all done up and movie was clear and crisp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

I was there on Sunday.
    Good points... Picture was perfect also the sound.
    Minor niggles... No credit card facility available yet, it was a little cold.

The niggles I can live with although with any business they should be looking to improve.

It was quiet, if people want the cinema it needs to be supported.

There was a huge queue on Sat night. Doubt everyone that was queuing actually got in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

no they didnt, movie/s started on time, people that were late becuase of the queue missed the start.. hopefully theyl get on top of whatever was causing the delay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Yes we went at the weekend and really enjoyed it. After been in Castlebar a few times since ballina shut, I can really appreciate how much better ballina is.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Daisy M wrote: »
    Yes we went at the weekend and really enjoyed it. After been in Castlebar a few times since ballina shut, I can really appreciate how much better ballina is.
    Mod note: final warning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 mayotourism

Went to the Cinema yesterday. They had technical issues and the movie started 30 mins late. However apart from that it was fine. they have a better counter so it means less queues. Place was spotless, well heated, well staffed. Picture and sound Quality perfect. That was a big issue with old management that the picture would go out of focus.. I think now that its park of a chain it will get more focus, I see they have offers on wednesday, Ticket,popcorn,drink for 10 euros. It really is the best cinema in Mayo seating wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

Has westport cinema closed down?

Seems so

• Advertisement

Back home in Ballina since the cinema reopened and headed up last night to see Prisoners. Have to say that it was by far the single best presentation of a film that I have ever experienced there. The film looked absolutely fantastic, it was presented in the correct aspect ratio and in focus, which was something the cinema was previously unable to accomplish. The sound was superb and put the previous set up to shame. best of all was the fact that the cinema was heated. I was able to sit in a t-shirt and not be freezing. Really was impressed by what I saw and looking forward to heading back in the coming days as its obvious that the management know what they are doing and plan to make it a success.

Were there many there Darko? This is my fear that it won't be supported. Have been twice to the new cinema and heading again on Sunday to try out the new 3d screen.

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    Were there many there Darko? This is my fear that it won't be supported. Have been twice to the new cinema and heading again on Sunday to try out the new 3d screen.

Between 20 and 30 but given that it was a Thursday and the film Prisoners has been on release for a number of weeks id day the turnout was rather good. Just a shame that a few of those in attendance lacked basic manners. If you take your phone out to read or send a text in the cinema then you are a dick, don't know why I didn't say anything to them as generally I'd be demanding that either they turn their God damned phones off or else piss off home.

Just in from the 6:30 screening of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2. Audio and visuals were superb though sadly the image was slightly cropped at the top and sides meaning that some of the image was absent. I went out and mentioned it to a member of staff but it wasn't corrected during the film. Not a major issue and one I'm sure that will be corrected for subsequent showings and it's not something I'd hold against them as compared to the old cinema it was still far superior and it's not something that would put me off going again or from recommending the cinema to anyone who asked.

Saw cloudy 2 in 3D on Saturday at 15:15. Picture was absolutely terrible, the 3d was all over the place. Easily the worst pic quality I've ever experienced.

Saw cloudy 2 in 3D on Saturday at 15:15. Picture was absolutely terrible, the 3d was all over the place. Easily the worst pic quality I've ever experienced.

Out of curiosity, did you bother to inform a member of staff of the issues?

As for it being a poor 3D presentation, well I'd not instantly blame the cinema. I saw the Hobbit in Cineworld and it was atrocious, a full third of the screen was unwatchable as it was just a blurry mess with no detail whatsoever evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I'm wondering if people have issues with their experiences maybe the best option would be to contact IMC directly via phone or facebook. Also maybe pass on any suggestions for improvements you have.

It would be great to see the cinema take off this time.

Daisy M wrote: »
    I'm wondering if people have issues with their experiences maybe the best option would be to contact IMC directly via phone or facebook. Also maybe pass on any suggestions for improvements you have.

It would be great to see the cinema take off this time.

I've seen a few complaints on Facebook about the place from someone who has posted in this thread and their complaints were beyond ridicolous. Complaining that the film began 7 minutes after the advertised time, making a stink about how the sound in Rush was "too intrusive", how he had to queue for 6 minutes on a Friday night, that it was too warm inside the screen, etc.

It would have been fantastic had they presented Cloudy 2 perfectly when I saw it but tbh it was such a small part of the screen cut off that I imagine that 99 people out of a 100 wouldn't even notice. Certainly nowhere near as poor as the old cinema who routinely cut off a third if the screen.

If you notice a serious issue during a screening then find a member of staff and inform them. No point sitting through a film that's being projected in the wrong aspect ratio or out of focus and then complaining in here or directly contacting IMC. Just make it known to staff and I'm sure they'll fix it.

Out of curiosity, did you bother to inform a member of staff of the issues?

As for it being a poor 3D presentation, well I'd not instantly blame the cinema. I saw the Hobbit in Cineworld and it was atrocious, a full third of the screen was unwatchable as it was just a blurry mess with no detail whatsoever evident.

I'm mailing the group, there doesn't seem to be any point complaining to staff - this looks like the old cinema all over again which is really disappointing.

The picture issues were completely the cinemas fault sadly.

I'm mailing the group, there doesn't seem to be any point complaining to staff - this looks like the old cinema all over again which is really disappointing.

The picture issues were completely the cinemas fault sadly.

So rather than make the issue know to a member of staff you decided instead to complain on boards and then email the IMC group. Really makes no sense. Had you made staff aware of the issue then there's a chance they could have fixed the issue.

How do you know that the issues with the 3D weren't simply a result of a poor 3D conversion? I know that Thor in Castlebar looked like a complete mess but that was due to the fact that it was a shoddy 3D conversion and nothing to do with the cinema.

All the feedback I've heard about the cinema has been extremely positive with people saying any issues were sorted out soon after alerting a member of staff or once staff noticed. Have to say that overall I've been very happy with what I saw and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the cinema to anyone I met and ill be heading back to see Escspe Plan there tomorrow.

• Advertisement

So rather than make the issue know to a member of staff you decided instead to complain on boards and then email the IMC group. Really makes no sense. Had you made staff aware of the issue then there's a chance they could have fixed the issue.

How do you know that the issues with the 3D weren't simply a result of a poor 3D conversion? I know that Thor in Castlebar looked like a complete mess but that was due to the fact that it was a shoddy 3D conversion and nothing to do with the cinema.

All the feedback I've heard about the cinema has been extremely positive with people saying any issues were sorted out soon after alerting a member of staff or once staff noticed. Have to say that overall I've been very happy with what I saw and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the cinema to anyone I met and ill be heading back to see Escspe Plan there tomorrow.

I'm contacting the cinema management, not some young one who couldn't give a ****. Apart from that, I shouldn't have to chase down staff to point out the screen is cropped and the 3d is screwed. This is exactly the same issues the old place had, bad quality displays and staff who clearly don't even check the picture. Its very disappointing to see this occurring again.

I had a ****e cinema experience in Ballina, worse than the crap before the place got closed down. I notice you mention the screen was cropped on one of your viewings and the staff didn't fix it when you pointed it out. In what way is that a good experience? Not displaying the picture properly is at the top of the list of stuff cinemas shouldn't do if they want returning customers.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Just in from the 6:30 screening of Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2. Audio and visuals were superb though sadly the image was slightly cropped at the top and sides meaning that some of the image was absent. I went out and mentioned it to a member of staff but it wasn't corrected during the film. Not a major issue and one I'm sure that will be corrected for subsequent showings and it's not something I'd hold against them as compared to the old cinema it was still far superior and it's not something that would put me off going again or from recommending the cinema to anyone who asked.
    Just make it known to staff and I'm sure they'll fix it.

Slight contradictions there?

...then complaining in here or directly contacting IMC.

I agree it's a good idea to tell staff on the day (if you can find them), but I can't disagree more strongly that there's no point contacting management or posting on here.

Good central management will notice if a few people are complaining and will make sure the issues do not linger on and on.

I'm contacting the cinema management, not some young one who couldn't give a ****. Apart from that, I shouldn't have to chase down staff to point out the screen is cropped and the 3d is screwed. This is exactly the same issues the old place had, bad quality displays and staff who clearly don't even check the picture. Its very disappointing to see this occurring again.

I had a ****e cinema experience in Ballina, worse than the crap before the place got closed down. I notice you mention the screen was cropped on one of your viewings and the staff didn't fix it when you pointed it out. In what way is that a good experience? Not displaying the picture properly is at the top of the list of stuff cinemas shouldn't do if they want returning customers.

As I said, there was such a small amount cropped out that 99% of people wouldn't notice it. It didn't take away from my enjoyment of the film and when I mentioned it to another person after they hadn't even noticed it.

I love how you assume that staff wouldn't care if there were issues. But then again you come across as the kind of person who would rather cry about it on boards rather than make the issue know at the time. Just like those people who will finish a terrible meal in a restaurant and then run home to criticise just how poor it was online.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As I said, there was such a small amount cropped out that 99% of people wouldn't notice it. It didn't take away from my enjoyment of the film and when I mentioned it to another person after they hadn't even noticed it.

I love how you assume that staff wouldn't care if there were issues. But then again you come across as the kind of person who would rather cry about it on boards rather than make the issue know at the time. Just like those people who will finish a terrible meal in a restaurant and then run home to criticise just how poor it was online.

MOD NOTE: Your on the verge, its been pointed out already that your contradicting yourself. Your attacking the poster, don't continue it.

monument wrote: »
    Slight contradictions there?

You may have missed the most important part of my post and how my issue with Cloudy 2 would not have been noticed by most people.
    As I said:
    It would have been fantastic had they presented Cloudy 2 perfectly when I saw it but tbh it was such a small part of the screen cut off that I imagine that 99 people out of a 100 wouldn't even notice.

They sent a member of staff in and they stayed for a couple of minutes but the issue was only really evident in a number of moments and even then so small that it didn't detract from the film at all. I'm sure that had it been a major issue it would have been corrected straight away and from what a friend told me it would have been. When my friend saw Rush a small amount of the screen was obviously cropped. My friend went out and told the staff and the issue was corrected in less than a minute.
    monument wrote: »
    I agree it's a good idea to tell staff on the day (if you can find them), but I can't disagree more strongly that there's no point contacting management or posting on here.

Good central management will notice if a few people are complaining and will make sure the issues do not linger on and on.

I never said there was no point contacting management, I merely pointed out that anyone with a hint of common sense would have let the staff know rather than sit through a poor presentation of a film. By all means if you have substantial issues with the cinema or complaints are being ignored then contact those in charge but at the very least give the staff a chance to try and fix the problem.

Talking to a friend who saw Cloudy 2 in 3D and they had no complaints about the presentation. According the them "the picture was pristine, sound make you feel like you were in the film and the 3D FX were very good". His only issue was getting the kids to keep the glasses on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 The prophet dotcom

Gal44 wrote: »
    Has westport cinema closed down?

Ye Westport is closed

yop wrote: »
    MOD NOTE: Your on the verge, its been pointed out already that your contradicting yourself. Your attacking the poster, don't continue it.

If you bother to read my posts you would see that my issue was one that 99% of people would not pick up on. Hardly a contradiction and I really can't see how my comments can be seen as an attack on the poster.
    Maybe it's just me but I think that if you have an issue with a business then you make it know to them at the time and don't instead go home to complain on boards and possibly turn people off a local business.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If you bother to read my posts you would see that my issue was one that 99% of people would not pick up on. Hardly a contradiction and I really can't see how my comments can be seen as an attack on the poster.
    Maybe it's just me but I think that if you have an issue with a business then you make it know to them at the time and don't instead go home to complain on boards and possibly turn people off a local business.
    then again you come across as the kind of person who would rather cry about it on boards rather than make the issue know at the time.

Mod Note: Thats an attack on the poster. I have read your posts and fully understand what you said, as have others on here.

yop wrote: »
    Mod Note: Thats an attack on the poster. I have read your posts and fully understand what you said, as have others on here.

Pointing out that a poster would rather complain online about an issue than tell staff about it is now considered abuse? I assumed that unfounded complaints about a local business would be considered a far more serious issue but I suppose I better apologise in case the posters feelings were hurt by my comments. They weren't meant to be malicious or seen as abuse.

• Advertisement

As a few people have misread my comments I'm just going to post these two images to illustrate how insignificant and small my issue with the image was.

Pretend this is a still from the film as it should be projected.
    276931.jpg

Now this is how it was projected yesterday.
    276932.jpg

Now looking at that bottom image I doubt that very many people would see anything wrong with it and were it not for a few odd looking shots I wouldn't have realised that something was amiss. I can easily see why the staff may not have seen any issue.

And if anyone is curious as to how badly the old cinema could mess up aspect ratio, here is an example of how messed up many a film looked in there.

276933.jpg

Advertisement