Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad 4 - 128GB

• 29-01-2013 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭

Apparently it's legit.
    Apple has, by means of a press release, announced that its fourth-gen iPad will now offer up to 128GB of internal storage – double the previous maximum configuration of 64GB. Apple has sold in excess of 120 million iPads to date, and with Phil Schiller noting of the consumer’s preference to "work, learn and play on their iPads rather than their old PCs,” it would certainly make sense for the fruit company to offer the kind of capacity reflecting the change in habits.

The new 128GB versions of the fourth-gen iPad will be available as of next Tuesday, February 5th. Both the black and white, Wi-Fi + Cellular and Wi-Fi-only models will be available with the increased capacity, with prices starting at $799 for the iPad with Wi-Fi version. Meanwhile, the iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular model will retail at $929 stateside, and both will be available in-store as well as online and through Apple’s resell partners.

As somebody who tends to buy the largest capacity of device, I am excited by the news, if a little surprised. When Apple pushed its iDevice range up to a maximum of 64GB, I thought the progression to 128GB would be a matter of formality, but with strong emphasis on selling its iCloud service post-iOS 5, it began to look as though 64GB would be the limitation. With other companies sniffing around for a slice of the fruit company’s market share, though, it would appear Tim Cook and his troops want to issue a reminder to the tech community, and what better way to do so than offering a great deal more storage space than any other mainstream slab on the market?

With the iPad now running all the way up to 128GB, it will be intriguing to see if the iPhone follows suit. The Cupertino’s market-leading tablet certainly benefits more from the larger capacity (larger apps, more likely to run HD video, and so forth), but seldom is a feature implemented on one and not the other. This release will surely prompt some iPhone users to call for more space, but for the time being, the company’s iconic slab is the only iOS device to reach these dizzy new heights.

Does the 128GB iPad 4 have you sold? Please share your thoughts via the usual mediums below!

Source.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭HTML5!

So, more space you can't download to. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I've never filled a 16GB so don't need that much space. Interesting though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

probably only useful for people whom travel a lot and want more movies for long haul flights.

nice to have the option nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Yeah, I used to be convinced I needed more and more space until I start streaming my music on iTunes Match and Spotify, 16 GB is ample space not. And even that would be enough space for a few films for a long haul flight. I guess Apple are just looking to get ahead of the others with 128.

And even that would be enough space for a few films for a long haul flight.

If not you can always just reduce the quality, full HD is nice but SD is fine on a screen that small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I've virtually no songs or videos on my 16GB iPad, and am always struggling to squeeze my apps onto it. Would love 128GB, but it does seem a bit too pricey; reckon I could survive on 64GB, with my new-found anti-hoarding skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭cuilteanna

Even the extra space won't tempt me back to a full size iPad, the mini is just so much handier to travel with. When there's a 128 mini I'll buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Have an ipad 3 16gb , the size of the hard drive makes me keep my ipad tidy of rubbish.......
    its very kind of apple to offer 128ssd storage but they should really be adding a slot for an sd card. they want to squeeze out the last buck out of peoples pockets .

Just to say this will be my last ipad... tired of restrictions....

ugh, it only took 8 posts to get on to the SD card debate. what's next USB so we can all have super dvd drives too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Looks like there'll be no iPad refresh for March/April. Lots of products released for the end of the year.

ugh, it only took 8 posts to get on to the SD card debate. what's next USB so we can all have super dvd drives too?

That's just it, people want--- choice ---and that will be apples downfall!!!

That's just it, people want--- choice ---and that will be apples downfall!!!
    but no one is forcing you to buy an iPad, or are they?

but no one is forcing you to buy an iPad, or are they?[/QUOTE

wait and see, with competition on its tail , I.e. Samsung.
    Apple are on the slippery slope... but there will always be the apple die-hards.
    some day you will see the light.
    I have to admit myself, it took me a while... but then it stares you in the face....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

DubDJ wrote: »
    Looks like there'll be no iPad refresh for March/April. Lots of products released for the end of the year.

I can't believe anyone seriously thought Apple would release three iterations of the iPad in twelve months, two in little over six months was pushing it very far to begin with.

I'd be far more interested in 128GB iPod touch\iPhone because that's the device you're likrly to be using when you're on the go or otherwise unable to properky rely on a solid internet connection, there's way more music, podcasts and apps on my phone than my tablet.

but no one is forcing you to buy an iPad, or are they?[/QUOTE

Apple are on the slippery slope... but there will always be the apple die-hards.
    I have to admit myself, it took me a while... but then it stares you in the face....

That's unbelievably condescending!!

Syferus wrote: »
    I can't believe anyone seriously thought Apple would release three iterations of the iPad in twelve months, two in little over six months was pushing it very far to begin with.

I thought the same about the iPad mini/4th Gen at the end of the year. Just over half a year after the last update. It was a very modest update so they could of easily released an update February or March.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its interesting that the article says that more and more people are using the ipad as their pc. If an ipad could truly function like a pc ie downloads, run "pc" applications etc I think things like a 128gb ipad would something I'd go for.

At the momement I just done see the need for a 128gb ipad/iphone etc. 16gb in both do me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nah, ive seen the grass on the other side, it's not as green as some people make it out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I don't even attempt to use my tablet for work or heavy duty stuff, it's for dinner table/couch browsing, mobile video viewing and the odd app.

Touch is great for forums or texts but even the external keyboards have come across as an inadequate solution for long-form typing or data input.

• Advertisement

I've the 64GB iPad and I find I'm always pushing for space. Have all my music, photos and videos on it which takes up 25GB but the rest goes to apps. Recently had to delete another big app too free up space. It's apps like GTA, MC3 and Need For Speed that take up big chunks of space. I find myself regularly running out of space. And I hate deleting them and loosing all my game data.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I've the 64GB iPad and I find I'm always pushing for space. Have all my music, photos and videos on it which takes up 25GB but the rest goes to apps. Recently had to delete another big app too free up space. It's apps like GTA, MC3 and Need For Speed that take up big chunks of space. I find myself regularly running out of space. And I hate deleting them and loosing all my game data.

Does Game Centre not look after game data? Like saves etc?

Does Game Centre not look after game data? Like saves etc?

Nope, some games have iCloud backup built in but very few. Games like Cut The Rope and Vice City can be deleted and your data is saved on iCloud. Game Centre does save high scores and achievements but if you were to delete Angry Birds for example you'd loose all your game progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭squonk

A few points struck me when I read about this update earlier today.

I use my iPad for music, books, photos and video. When I've been away I've used it also as a back up device for the SD card in my SLR to store shots via the camera kit. You really don't feel taking up a lot of space that way. I'm sure photographers who want to be mobile will appreciate the extra space as will anybody who wants to do video editing on the god. Now, the question arises whether either of these activities are better done sitting in front of an iMac but for those using the iPad for such things, I'm sure they'll be grateful.

I use Plex to manage my film and TV media and one of the nice new features provided b the software is the ability to sync movies and latest episodes of TV shows to the iPad. Plex transcodes the media into MP4 so size isn't a huge issue but a large iPad does give a lot of leeway to pick a lot of your favourite shows and have new episodes sync to your iPad so that you can watch them on flights or during holidays. It removes the need to actively think about available space which is a good thing.

So far so good but on the downside, as an iPad owner who bought my current iPad 3 64Gb last March, I have a second chance to feel aggrieved at this latest model. My trusty iPad 3 is now instantly devalued further, and it's only 4 months since the last iPad refresh as well. I sucked up the last update as I saw they were realigning their release calendar so I began to consider whether I would go for the iPad 5 next Christmas or not. I'm not so keen to roll with the changes this time however.

Things seem to have definitely moved on since Steve headed to the great big Infinite Loop in the sky. It is starting to look like the accountants and marketeers are taking over at Apple. Assuming a product release realignment would have gone ahead under Steve, I believe he would have either upped the device capacity at the iPad 4 launch by bullying suppliers or some other means, or else decided that 64Gb was top capacity for now and released a 128Gb at the next product iteration. As is, this looks like a reaction to the 128Gb Windows Surface device. Who is to say that if Samsung introduce a 256Gb tablet mid year that we won't see a copycat move by Apple soon afterwards (though they would probably wait for the next refresh at Christmas in that case.. or you'd hope).

There are implications for the brand here as well and customer perception. People buying top of the line iPads are paying $800 to own them and have a right to complain if their product is devalued quickly after purchase. We're not dealing with cheap crappy Android tablets here and this is a problem. If you've paid $120 for some crap Android tablet, you can't complain if specs change shortly afterwards. I've considered my iPads a 2 year investment up until now. For the first year you've had the latest iPad and for the second you have a good, supported device that works well and by year 3 you are probably ready to upgrade if you wish. Now if I'm likely to have my iPad relegated to 'former model' status within months, I might just decide to hang on an extra year before upgrading again. Ultimately I might just get tired of this altogether and look elsewhere, though that being said, I haven't looked at Windows 8 Surface yet and Android isn't an option. At this point, the number of iPad models is also becoming cluttered. I'm assuming we now have 4 separate size variants i.e. 16,32,64 & 128Gb on offer, then you have WiFi or WiFi&Cellular, Black or White, Mini or Full. Any more 'additions' to the range and it'll become hard to keep track of what offerings the company actually has. It's all starting to look like the beginnings of the Scully era again when there were so many Mac models you could hardly keep up with them.

squonk wrote: »

So far so good but on the downside, as an iPad owner who bought my current iPad 3 64Gb last March, I have a second chance to feel aggrieved at this latest model. My trusty iPad 3 is now instantly devalued further, and it's only 4 months since the last iPad refresh as well. I sucked up the last update as I saw they were realigning their release calendar so I began to consider whether I would go for the iPad 5 next Christmas or not. I'm not so keen to roll with the changes this time however.

How exactly is yours more devalued? It's an addition to the range, the same as the iPad 4 just with more ram and a higher price point. The current iPad 4 hasn't been reduced in price.

I don't understand the logic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭squonk

My mistake. I thought it was a direct replacement for the 64Gb at the $709 price point. Makes it still a very expensive proposition at $799. I misread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Great they're making a 128gb version. I won't need it (yet) but 16gb isn't enough anymore on the iPhone so I got a 32gb iPhone 5 and followed suit when I got the iPad mini. Now with ever increasing file size, camera improvements and HD video etc surely we can assume with the launch of the next line of iPhones/iPads that 32gb will be the standard (smallest available) storage size?!
    Wishful thinking I guess...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think anyone aware of the iPad 5 "leaks" showing an iPad Mini style profile and complete slimming up would be a bit mad to buy now, tbh. (Even if the new model won't be released until the Autumn.)

Dades wrote: »
    I think anyone aware of the iPad 5 "leaks" showing an iPad Mini style profile and complete slimming up would be a bit mad to buy now, tbh. (Even if the new model won't be released until the Autumn.)

At the same time, what are they gonna add to it to justify the wait? Retina, a6x and that capacity is awesome for a tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

When is the 128 model available? it doesn't mention it on the apple ireland site

Advertisement