Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad 4 - 128GB

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Pipmae

Dades wrote: »
    I think anyone aware of the iPad 5 "leaks" showing an iPad Mini style profile and complete slimming up would be a bit mad to buy now, tbh. (Even if the new model won't be released until the Autumn.)
    Okay now my head is officially wrecked.... I want to buy the iPad Retina for the OH's 40th birthday in March. I can get it from the US at a saving of approx €150 over the Irish price. But that option is only available to me short term (American aupair heading home on holidays for a week willing to bring one back for me). OH has the iPad 1 and hasn't upgraded yet (in spite of him being an Apple addict). Oh what to do......:confused:

BTW we have three iPad Mini's in the house since Christmas. Our two daughters and me. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Pipmae wrote: »
    Okay now my head is officially wrecked.... I want to buy the iPad Retina for the OH's 40th birthday in March. I can get it from the US at a saving of approx €150 over the Irish price. But that option is only available to me short term (American aupair heading home on holidays for a week willing to bring one back for me). OH has the iPad 1 and hasn't upgraded yet (in spite of him being an Apple addict). Oh what to do......:confused:

BTW we have three iPad Mini's in the house since Christmas. Our two daughters and me. :o

It's still a brilliant device and is so much better compared to the iPad 1. But it will (most likely) get a big redesign in the coming months, probably towards the end of the year. Bringing it in line with the iPad mini design (according to rumours and speculation). If you plan on buying now go ahead, the new iPad could possibly be released 10 months from now. It's a long wait.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

At the same time, what are they gonna add to it to justify the wait? Retina, a6x and that capacity is awesome for a tablet.
    Slimmer and lighter. The screen is already awesome, but the obvious thing that has to done is get the weight down. It just weighs too much to use comfortably in your hand for any length of time. You have to lie it on something in reality. With a tablet - weight is a big factor.

Pipmae wrote: »
    Given he already has an iPad and there's several others in the house... I'd hold off. I don't see much point in giving him a long-awaited upgrade only to see a total redesign six months later! Just my opinion, of course!

I wanted to buy an iPad 2 before release, but when it didn't have a better resolution as suggested by some, I waited a whole year for the 3!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I see these are available from Apple now.

iPad Apple Store.

Wifi €809, Wifi/Cellular €939.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭princemuzzy

having had the mini since xmas i dont think i can go back to a full size one now the ipad 2 has been in the house since the day it was released herself and the kids still use it but i just cant now its too big and awkward compared to the mini even before getting the mini i hardly ever used it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm not sure about the 128gb, personally I'll have no need for it I'd imagine.

I went for a 16gb mini, and it's still pretty empty, I use mine as a post PC device, it's used for browsing and YouTube and email while on the couch/in bed and so on.

If I have any heavy hitting work, I'll do it up stairs in the studio on the iMac.

In saying that tho, 128gb would be handy for photographers, loading images through the camera connection kit, showing customers the images and deleting the ones not needed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

eeloe wrote: »
    If I have any heavy hitting work, I'll do it up stairs in the studio on the iMac.

For stuff that needs the power of the PC/Mac I sometimes use VNC/Remote desktop to log onto the PC to do it. Works a treat :)

Use either Jump or iTeleport to remote log in.

I'm still yet to even get an iPad.. Every time I do, there's a new one on the horizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Apple's pricing on storage capaciity is ridiculous.

€300 range from 16gb to 128gb is just not justified in my opinion especially with cloud options etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

probably only useful for people whom travel a lot and want more movies for long haul flights.

nice to have the option nonetheless.

i agree, micro sd card slots are great

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Apple's pricing on storage capaciity is ridiculous.

€300 range from 16gb to 128gb is just not justified in my opinion especially with cloud options etc.

Yeah the increase of price on each increment just makes no sense.

Yeah the increase of price on each increment just makes no sense.

i think Apple WILL eventually offer micro sd expansion. It's getting to the stage already where many are looking to other options, storage needs are increasing and many just can't justify the extra outlay for some extra GIG. for a long time Apple were so far ahead of the crowd that most were willing to fork out the extra, i don't think that's the case anymore, but at least we the consumers have good genuine alternatives now, that can only be good

manual_man wrote: »

i think Apple WILL eventually offer micro sd expansion. It's getting to the stage already where many are looking to other options, storage needs are increasing and many just can't justify the extra outlay for some extra GIG. for a long time Apple were so far ahead of the crowd that most were willing to fork out the extra, i don't think that's the case anymore, but at least we the consumers have good genuine alternatives now, that can only be good

You'd wonder if they will.. With this increased capacity the need for an SD card is significantly reduced. As for taking up the other options, I wouldn't be too pushed, I'm an Apple, also I've invested heavily in their AppStore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

apple offering SD slots in portable devices? nope, never, they are getting rid of optical media from their portable devices (macbooks) they won't introduce something they believe - and rightly so - is dead.

I'd defo agree that CD/DVD drives are dead, but SD? I dunno, still a huge amount of them used for cameras etc, that there is enough reason to add them, like was said above, for the photographers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

camera connection kit solves this for photographers. everyone else is in the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

An external SD card slot goes against everything Apple are designing at the moment. They don't want you taking out the battery, memory cards or any of that. Everything is integrated, especially with the unibody style designs. They've even stopped using removable batteries for their MacBooks.

Unless they release a budget iPhone for the Chinese market then I don't see them doing it anytime soon. They are loosing the battle in China though as a lot of people simply can't afford an iPhone. I'm sure they have a trick up their sleeve to take some marketshare back.

wifi sd cards a handy way to connect and transfer to tablets now

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

wifi sd cards a handy way to connect and transfer to tablets now

And to swap films and music illegaly, which means Apple will never bring it in. Their deal with the record companies means they can't be seen to facilitate piracy, hence their crippling of Bluetooth.

whiterebel wrote: »

And to swap films and music illegaly, which means Apple will never bring it in. Their deal with the record companies means they can't be seen to facilitate piracy, hence their crippling of Bluetooth.

I didn't know that. i thought once you had a wifi connection you could transfer

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I didn't know that. i thought once you had a wifi connection you could transfer

Wifi they can't stop, but SD cards, BT and other media they can. When I worked in Apple and iTunes came on the market, they realised the amount of "sharing" going on with its own employees, and the threat of the sack was issued if you were caught sharing music or movies on their network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭makoten

128GB is a bit excessive for an iPad, and for that price you might as well get a PC with decent specs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

makoten wrote: »
    128GB is a bit excessive for an iPad, and for that price you might as well get a PC with decent specs.
    You could get a second-hand exercise bike for that money, too, but like a PC it's not that portable and not ideal for accessing media on the go. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 pilatus09

Anyone know if Harvey Norman are getting the 128gb ipad in anytime soon?

Any other shops selling it yet besides ordering it from apple online store?

Pilatus09

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Pipmae

pilatus09 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Harvey Norman are getting the 128gb ipad in anytime soon?
    Try the CompuB store. http://compub.com

Advertisement