Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cult heroes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Eboue?

eboue_0607thumbsup.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

KingdomYid wrote: »
    For Tottenham:

Steffan Freund, Erik Thorstvedt, Gary Doherty to a certain extent (had his own chant).

Number 1 is Gary Doc, number 2 is Gary Doc......

Steffen Freund was well liked in Dortmund, too. Back to back league titles in 1995 and 1996, the Champions League in 1997. I remember him crying when he played his last match at the Westfalenstadion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Ted McMinn
    180px-Ted_McMinn.jpg

Nacho Novo

Nacho-Novo_2663164.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭Pudzianowski

Dean Windass

Steve Claridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Steve Ogrizivic Coventry

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

I'm actually unsure if Salomon Kalou was a cult hero for every Chelsea fan or just for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Eboue?

eboue_0607thumbsup.jpg

Eboue wins, simply because he has somehow managed to become a cult hero of fans of every club on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Maire2009

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHjNBinlhuC0QLTtr47Lkg-QUqRAuhbjs94Pz4odtnC9kaia7o

At number 1, it's Perry Groves ....

Eboue-Dance-1.gif

Come to see Eboue, you've only come see Eboue, COME SEE EBWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

parlour1.jpg

Heart of a lion - Romford Pele

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

kfallon wrote: »
    Dominic Iorfa for Waterford Utd, joined us in about '99 I think and helped us avoid relegation scoring a few important goals along the way. I swear the guy didn't know the offside rule despite playing in various other countries before Ireland :D Wore yellow boots sometimes and when he left he gave them to the kit man who wore them for a couple of seasons afterwards

031334.jpg

His name is still chanted at Peterborough United Games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Diego Forlan. His name is still sung around the Stretford End occasionally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Les Sealey, Denis Irwin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Philip Albert for the icing on the cake against Man Utd
    image-6-for-gallery-gallery-newcastle-united-best-xi-626327179.jpg

And my favourite player of all time:
    E6983B21-076E-32EE-2857151EE8C31B0C.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Phil babb because everytime I see this it makes me laugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Micky Quinn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Chris Powell at Charlton

now their manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Antoine Siberski - Got him on a free, everyone was like wtf, he scored quite a few goals and worked his balls off and the fans loved him.

Were there two Antoine Sibierskis? :confused:

Quintessential City one would be this man, absolute lunatic -
    In the Division One, Morrison was famously sent off for sticking out his tongue at Stan Collymore in a draw with Fulham.

am.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Robin Friday anyone? His womanising drink/drug abuse is the stuff of legend, seriously talented player as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Some class mentions in here, lot of reading wikipedia :)

Here's some more;

Shaun Goater - Name still chanted at Man City

Javier Zanetti - 39 and still going strong, closing in on 600 league games

Steffen Effenberg - Voted one of Bayerns greatest ever players.

Pippo Inzaghi - It's Pippo, nuff said.

Bryan Gunn - Legendary figure at Norwich

Henrik! Larsson - Celtics greatest ever player and fans loved him wherever he went. Highly respected at Man U and Barca to this day which says it all.

Eric Abidal - I was at the game right after he was taken ill and the love and adortation really did warm the heart. Been an under-rated player for years.

Angelo Palombo - 13 years at Sampdoria and still got years left in him.

Marco Matterazzi - Cult figure in Italy.

Sergio Pellissier - Always scored the goals to keep little Chievo up. Think of Le Tiss at Southampton.

Andres Iniesta - Amazing player but idolized everywhere he goes, if he gets subbed in away games he gets applauded off by all sides of the ground.

Joseba Etxeberria - Bilbao stalwart who was adored during his 15 years of loyal service to the club.

Not exactly in the spirit of the thread though are they?

• Advertisement

Dominic Iorfa for Waterford Utd, joined us in about '99 I think and helped us avoid relegation scoring a few important goals along the way. I swear the guy didn't know the offside rule despite playing in various other countries before Ireland :D Wore yellow boots sometimes and when he left he gave them to the kit man who wore them for a couple of seasons afterwards

031334.jpg

Jose Quitongo was another one, was loved at Waterford then left, ended up at Hearts and returned to The Blues near the end of his career. Celtic fans may remember him scoring a 94th minute equaliser at Tynecastle against The Hoops the season Celtic stopped the Rangers bid for 10 in a row

152962.jpg

Quitongo.jpg

Excellent shout! Absolutely loved Jose, guy was **** cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

While at Bohs...To the tune of Black Betty.

''Oh Whoa, Black Darren Mansaram''

INPHO_00226612.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Vannnn derrrrr Velllllldennnnn

INPHO_00031228.jpg

Had a soft spot for Tony Hall at one stage too, never took to Tommy Lynch though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hermann Rieger didn't have many football skills, he wasn't fast and never played. He was the HSV physio from 1978 - 2004 before retiring. He is as fondly remembered as any player to have played for the club because of his down-to-earth attitude and friendliness.
    Whenever the team is having a bad year (like last year) the song in the stands is usually something like "Hermann remains, the rest of you please go".

He was the physio for a game two years ago between the HSV legends and the Ronaldo/Zidane XI team. The fans chanted his name until a player feigned injury so he could come on, he did and got the loudest cheer of the night :D

(not this video but similar thing happened here)

Player-wise. Timmy Atouba is a bit of a legend. Pascal Millien & Ramuel Miller also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

You know the type, the guys that might not the best or most skillful, but fans just take to them for their commitment or some other reason. The Zabaletas, Ameobi's, Tony Hibberts and the like.

People should be banned for this shit.

People should be banned for this shit.

Apart from possibly Zabaleta (excellent player), I don't see the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Apart from possibly Zabaleta (excellent player), I don't see the issue?

The problem in the quoted post is not the players, but the journalistic habit of pluralising a player's name.

The problem in the quoted post is not the players, but the journalistic habit of pluralising a player's name.

Ah I get ya. So it's like an Apres Match scenario where you can't mention your Gerrards, your Lampards, your Beckhams....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Should be banned for the unnecessary use of an apostrophe as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

George O Callaghan

george11111111.jpg

Tony Sheridan

INPHO_00004339.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

8-10 wrote: »
    Jari Litmanen. Hugely rated by our fans and should never have left. One of many cult heros but my all-time favourite player.

Jari Litmanen cult hero? This is the man who was voted Finish player of the year for an entire decade. The multiple league winner, cup winner, champions league winner, uefa cup winner with various clubs. Ajax all time european goal scorer. National captain for something like 12 years and the only footballer ever to play international spanning four decades.

A legend of the game and one of European footballs finest products. Tell me, do you understand the term cult hero?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Gary Kelly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tony Sheridan was an absolute waste of talent. Could have gone as far as he wanted to in the game but genuinely didn't seem bothered.

Always remember him coming off the bench for Rovers against Bray in his first game in Roddy's relegation season, looking about four stone overweight and scoring an absolute belter of a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Tugay_633580447308750000.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Some people confusing cult-heroes with legends...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

BOHtox wrote: »
    Some people confusing cult-heroes with legends...

But a cult hero can be a legend, can he? Or is it all up to titles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

iregk wrote: »

Jari Litmanen cult hero? This is the man who was voted Finish player of the year for an entire decade. The multiple league winner, cup winner, champions league winner, uefa cup winner with various clubs. Ajax all time european goal scorer. National captain for something like 12 years and the only footballer ever to play international spanning four decades.

A legend of the game and one of European footballs finest products. Tell me, do you understand the term cult hero?

But he failed the wet winters night in Stoke test,even though viat was probably due to selection policy and stoke not being in league back then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

kryogen wrote: »
    Had a soft spot for Tony Hall at one stage too, never took to Tommy Lynch though

Tony Hall was a legend, wasn't he one of the three who came over on loan from Darlington and he stayed. Think another one was Robbie Blake of Burnley fame but he got injured early and went back home.

This man was another cult hero for The Blues, local lad and prob one of the biggest wind up merchants on the pitch. Remember playing Bohs one night, he knocked Paul Byrne over and proceeded to shout, "Get up ya fat c*nt" at him :D

Loved the argy bargy and was a sneaky fooker for getting opponents booked/sent off, Cork City fans absolutely hated him which only added to the love us Blues fan had for him. Step forward Alan "Rennie" Reynolds.....

155990.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Tony Hall was a legend, wasn't he one of the three who came over on loan from Darlington and he stayed. Think another one was Robbie Blake of Burnley fame but he got injured early and went back home.

This man was another cult hero for The Blues, local lad and prob one of the biggest wind up merchants on the pitch. Remember playing Bohs one night, he knocked Paul Byrne over and proceeded to shout, "Get up ya fat c*nt" at him :D

Loved the argy bargy and was a sneaky fooker for getting opponents booked/sent off, Cork City fans absolutely hated him which only added to the love us Blues fan had for him. Step forward Alan "Rennie" Reynolds.....

155990.jpg

What a horrible little bast*rd of a player, loved him at Shels!

Rennie never changed and probably never will, got into more trouble with his off field shenanigans then his on field stuff! a funny guy to have a beer with :)

Frosty and............****, the name just went right out of my head :( played full back, mid nineties.......ah well, it will come to me,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Rennie never changed and probably never will, got into more trouble with his off field shenanigans then his on field stuff! a funny guy to have a beer with :)

Frosty and............****, the name just went right out of my head :( played full back, mid nineties.......ah well, it will come to me,

Would it be Joe Reynolds, he was a real cult hero. Came down from Dublin and had limited ability. However his committed performances won the fans over and I remember sitting on the far side of The RSC and he'd often give the fans a thumbs up or say "We'll do these tonight" to us. Was sad to see him go but the emergence of Frost meant he wasn't gonna be a first team regular. Couple of great seasons from him tho, looked a real pro in his attitude and performances.

Or were you thinking of John 'Chilli' Power?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Some funny notions of "cult heroes" on here. Anyways, here's a couple more.

$(KGrHqF,!lME4lpili4IBOLo6H,mmQ~~_35.JPG

enhanced-buzz-14854-1340377364-12.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Christian Dailly. Favourite moment from him at West Ham:

Took a ball to the stones yet still managed to finish to the net before collapsing in a heap. That goal sent us to the playoff final.

His antics for Scotland against Germany are also legendary:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

• Advertisement

Would it be Joe Reynolds, he was a real cult hero. Came down from Dublin and had limited ability. However his committed performances won the fans over and I remember sitting on the far side of The RSC and he'd often give the fans a thumbs up or say "We'll do these tonight" to us. Was sad to see him go but the emergence of Frost meant he wasn't gonna be a first team regular. Couple of great seasons from him tho, looked a real pro in his attitude and performances.

Or were you thinking of John 'Chilli' Power?

Aye, it was Chili :) came to me this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

iregk wrote: »

Nope. But he's always worth mentioning.

What about Juanito? Surely he would be considered one? Name still sung at every home game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Not exactly in the spirit of the thread though are they?

In fairness his number 1 there sums this thread up. The Goat is the true embodiment of a cult hero.

No City fan will forget him scalping Gary Neville.

Jose Quitongo was another one, was loved at Waterford then left, ended up at Hearts and returned to The Blues near the end of his career. Celtic fans may remember him scoring a 94th minute equaliser at Tynecastle against The Hoops the season Celtic stopped the Rangers bid for 10 in a row

Quitongo.jpg

I was driving that day and listening to commentary on BBC Radio Scotland with poor reception. I was somewhere south of Balbriggan when Quitongo scored that goal. I almost celebrated right into a ditch. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Luis Garcia

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSA-80Nk4QpXxFbXGJX1P1upS1uXLzkpvIYPCdYn-EdYz2srmT0

Even though he was very frustrating at times, I couldn't help but love him. Scored some crackers. Even wrote a letter to the fans.

Also, Mario

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSX5iT1qON3BeG906rs4mWnatucWb5NSDO7WGYHEMEPLdFi4DU7

• Advertisement
Advertisement