Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB whats up ???

Options
  • 29-01-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Unusual one that happened yesterday.
    My neighbour received her ESB bill last Fri. week, her Mother mentioned to her that she (the mother) had not received her bill yet despite the fact that her meter had been read before my neighbours, the mother is 78 and has a fear of falling into arrears with anything and the minute that she receives any bill it is paid immediately. So to calm her mother my neighbour got on to the billing section and got the mother to give her permission to discuss the account on her behalf. She was able to confirm that they had the meter reading but would not be issueing the bill until Febuary, she could not get a satisfactory explinaition why the issue of the bill was being delayed. Also surprisingly the esb rep would not confirm the outstanding ammount. She asked if this was related to the reduction in the free units to OAPS that comes into effect in Feb and the rep said that she could not comment on this.
    So is the ESB manipulating the bill issue dates to OAPS to factor in the reduction in the free units.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

You're right - this is an unusual one, especially in the " Motoring / Motors / DIY car maintenance, repair, and Detailing " section.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

I know posted in this section by mistake and cant move it , hoping that one of the mods might pick up on it and move it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from DIY Motors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

mikehn wrote: »
    Unusual one that happened yesterday.
    My neighbour received her ESB bill last Fri. week, her Mother mentioned to her that she (the mother) had not received her bill yet despite the fact that her meter had been read before my neighbours, the mother is 78 and has a fear of falling into arrears with anything and the minute that she receives any bill it is paid immediately. So to calm her mother my neighbour got on to the billing section and got the mother to give her permission to discuss the account on her behalf. She was able to confirm that they had the meter reading but would not be issueing the bill until Febuary, she could not get a satisfactory explinaition why the issue of the bill was being delayed. Also surprisingly the esb rep would not confirm the outstanding ammount. She asked if this was related to the reduction in the free units to OAPS that comes into effect in Feb and the rep said that she could not comment on this.
    So is the ESB manipulating the bill issue dates to OAPS to factor in the reduction in the free units.

Are you talking about the Reps in the 'Talk To' section?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Would you like me to move this thread to the "Talk to Electric Ireland" forum?

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I think the delay was caused by Dept of Social Protection not giving clear info to ESB how to implement the new free electricity allowances.

Think it must be sorted now as I got email the other day from Electric Ireland as follows:

We have implemented the changes to the Free Electricity Allowance from 1st January 2013 as instructed by the Department of Social Protection for Budget 2013.

The new Free Electricity Allowance is €35 per month (i.e. a credit of €70 per two monthly bill including VAT), which equates to a daily allowance of €1.01381932* per day (excluding vat).

This replaces the previous unit based Free Electricity Allowance of 300 units per bill which ended on 31st December 2012. You may receive slightly more or less than €70 per two monthly bill, depending on the actual number of days in the two monthly billing period.

However, you can be assured that you will receive your full allowance over the course of the year. This is your first bill reflecting the new allowances. We have included an extract from a sample bill below to help you understand your new bill format.

So hopefully bills will issue shortly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

What will happen if a pensioner has 1500 units in credit on their account built up over time? will they get a credit for those or will they be lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

foggy_lad wrote: »
    What will happen if a pensioner has 1500 units in credit on their account built up over time? will they get a credit for those or will they be lost?

Being worked on I guess.
    Q2. Does this change affect my carry-forward of unused units of electricity?

A. The Department of Social Protection will be exploring the options with Electric Ireland in this regard. We want to ensure that customers are dealt with in the most equitable way possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Op, what was the date of the last bill?

This is the first thing to check, count on 60 days and then see how late the bill actually is rather then going on meter reads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Truth sayer

Just moved both my gas and electricity to Electric Ireland and having talked no them they helped me reduce my electricity bill with advice on what uses most electricity etc. have saved approx €30 per bill. None better value.

• Advertisement
Advertisement