Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Connect HKC Panel to UPC Modem via Homeplugs?

Options
  • 29-01-2013 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking to get a Wireless alarm fitted to my 3-bed semi.

All good, so far.

The only issue I have come up against is figuring out if I can have a voice/text dialler.
    I have been told I would need to run a cable direct from the HKC Alarm panel in the hall, to the UPC modem in sitting room. This is 'possible', but very messy.
    I was wondering would it be possible to use Powerline (Homeplugs) to make the connection. Have these
    I would then be able to run cable from panel to socket in hall. and from socket in sitting room to the modem. Or would I??

Can anybody confirm what type of cable would normally be used to connect rthe panel to modem? I'm hoping Ethernet maybe, but haven't a clue.
    Cat5, Ethernet, Coaxial?
    If anything other than ethernet, is there an equivalent workaround for that?

Any help or advice appreciated :)

Thanks
    David

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There is a dedicated phone version of them with RJ11 sockets.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/dect-wireless-phone-line-extender-97658?c=froogle&u=97658&t=module
    There is no reason why the Ethernet version wouldn't work, but I've never tried them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm currently looking to get a Wireless alarm fitted to my 3-bed semi.

All good, so far.

The only issue I have come up against is figuring out if I can have a voice/text dialler.
    I have been told I would need to run a cable direct from the HKC Alarm panel in the hall, to the UPC modem in sitting room. This is 'possible', but very messy.
    I was wondering would it be possible to use Powerline (Homeplugs) to make the connection. Have these
    I would then be able to run cable from panel to socket in hall. and from socket in sitting room to the modem. Or would I??

Can anybody confirm what type of cable would normally be used to connect rthe panel to modem? I'm hoping Ethernet maybe, but haven't a clue.
    Cat5, Ethernet, Coaxial?
    If anything other than ethernet, is there an equivalent workaround for that?

Any help or advice appreciated :)

Thanks
    David

If you are coming off the UPC then you will need a RJ11 cable. The phone over mains adapters should work as they are just like having a phone plugged in. As with anything powered by the mains it wont work with the electricity off. Can be the case with UPC also. A phone cable to each adapter is what you need. The installer should be able to set it up in the control panel for you.

Advertisement