Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house - recommended removal companies

Options
  • 29-01-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm moving house next month and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for removals companies which are reliable, and not too expensive. I heard of a company online called 'man with a van' but I'm not sure whether they're any good.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

We used A-OK Movers when we moved last week. We only moved contents, not furniture but I know they do both. We paid €55 per hour and that included a truck, a guy to wheel containers (holding about 12-15 boxes each) from our apartment to our lift, out to the truck and out of truck into our house at the other end. They brought our TV and several canvas prints in the move and everything arrived unscathed. The guy (Andrew, I think) couldn't have been more helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭thesiren

markpb - thanks very much, they sound absolutely ideal. I'll give them a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lxreilly

Dont use Allen Removals whatever you do. A bunch of charlatans who ripped us off by doubling the price of a removal when we had a delay in moving home. They had to store our posssessions for a few days and doubled the price. Absolutely disgraceful.

They call themselves a family firm. Don't buy into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

lxreilly wrote: »
    Dont use Allen Removals whatever you do. A bunch of charlatans who ripped us off by doubling the price of a removal when we had a delay in moving home. They had to store our posssessions for a few days and doubled the price. Absolutely disgraceful.

That seems very harsh. Why on earth did you expect them to store your belongings for free, at short notice? I pay a bloody fortune for storage, it's not cheap. Plus they would either have to load it and unload it into a storage facility (more work) or leave their vans out of commision not earning for those days.

People expect such ludicrous things from businesses sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

what a load of nonsense. Get into the real world why the hell would they store your stuff for free.

Storage costs money. Welcome to reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hatchet jobs not welcome. Even ones that backfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Poster55

Hi

I have just starting looking around for quotes to move to London and I have a similar worry. My removal date could shift a couple of days one way or the other. I have spoken to one company that said that this would not be a problem but obviously don't want to get in to an arguement when its too late. Do you mind me asking :

1. Did you move out of the country ?

2. How much stuff did you have to move ?

Just wondering was it a big move or a small one you done. You can pm me if you don't want to post here.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I used Flatpack.ie recently and was very, very impressed with them. Their website says that they mainly deliver and assemble furniture. That is all I had them do when they were over, but when I queried them about assisting in a house move, they gave me a very competitive quote. Would not hesitate to use them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Poster55 wrote: »
    Hi

I have just starting looking around for quotes to move to London and I have a similar worry. My removal date could shift a couple of days one way or the other. I have spoken to one company that said that this would not be a problem but obviously don't want to get in to an arguement when its too late. Do you mind me asking :

1. Did you move out of the country ?

2. How much stuff did you have to move ?

Just wondering was it a big move or a small one you done. You can pm me if you don't want to post here.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Aaltonen, Sheridan's, Bishop's Finger and Pickfords all do moves to London. I used Sheridan's when moving over here and they were OK. Bishop's Finger and Pickfords would be more expensive though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement