Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Directions Please

Options
  • 29-01-2013 4:40pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

I am trying to drive from Holles Street to Trinity Street carpark at 4.30pm today.

Does anyone know if this is possible?

I cant go around by College Green as that is shut of to motorist from 4pm.

Myself and my work colleagues are completely befuddled at this stage.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Head up towards Leeson st. via Fitzwilliam sq, Fitzwilliam st. Turn right onto Leeson st. and head straight down along the Green and turn right onto Georges st.
    Take the second last right turn off Georges st (exchequer st) and continue down about 100 metres and take a left down the little lane at the corner of boulevard cafe about 20 metres past Drury st which will be on your right.
    This will lead you straight to the car park entrance.
    Remember you cannot turn right onto Dame street from Georges st.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I don't think you can turn left off exchequer street. Try this OP, it's just a small amendment to problemchimp's suggestion above

EDIT: I just noticed the time, too late

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

thanks, i dont you can turn up Exchequer Street.

I think i will just leave the car here and walk up - stupid city :mad:

Yeah, turning left is ok onto that lane. I do it all the time, but a bit tricky in a big car or van. Turning onto Exchequer st. is fine.

• Advertisement

Private cars cannot use this route in the evening between 4pm and 7pm hence the op's query. PSV and buses only.
    The College Green bit I mean.

i decided to walk - stupid driving laws

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

irishbird wrote: »
    i decided to walk - stupid driving laws

Well it's because of people like you who try to drive very small distances instead of walking that cause the city to be clogged up with traffic which impacts on everyone but as a mé féiner that's to be expected.

You will have found out by now that you were quicker walking anyway.

Well it's because of people like you who try to drive very small distances instead of walking that cause the city to be clogged up with traffic which impacts on everyone but as a mé féiner that's to be expected.

Oh get you :p

I walk there everyTuesday but it didnt suit to walk yesterday

I still had to go back to Holles Street and get my car and drive home, so I make no difference to city centre traffic by either walking or drive :p

no perhaps if we had a decent bus service i wont have to drive to work in the first place

irishbird wrote: »
    Oh get you :p

I walk there everyTuesday but it didnt suit to walk yesterday

I still had to go back to Holles Street and get my car and drive home, so I make no difference to city centre traffic by either walking or drive :p

no perhaps if we had a decent bus service i wont have to drive to work in the first place

It didn't suit? Lazy more like, walking from Holles Street to that car park takes 10 minutes maybe 12 at a push - I'm lazy and I'd still walk it.

The streets you would have been driving down are the most used by the bus service you reckon is not decent, it's affected by cars driving illegally through roads they are barred from and by people driving very short distances that they could and should walk.

Where are you coming from that the bus service forces you to drive to work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Cut out the personal attacks.

tHB

Apologies for the intemperate language, but the thrust of my point still stands, everyone gives out about the traffic somehow missing the point that they're in a car themselves contributing to the problem.

The reason that there are car movement restrictions in the city (or "stupid driving laws" in the OP's opinion) are to provide bus priority for vehicles that can carry more than 1 or 2 people, this is hindered when people use their cars for very short journeys that could easily be done by walking, dublin bikes or using a bus - from Holles Street there are a number of buses that would drop the OP at Westmoreland Street or Pearse Street.

The OP's location is given as Finglas, from there to Holles Street he/she has a number of bus options 40s/140/9, hardly a non-decent bus service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ApoThe OP's location is given as Finglas, from there to Holles Street he/she has a number of bus options 40s/140/9, hardly a non-decent bus service.

Have you ever waited for a bus in Finglas?

No, obviously not, because if you had, you'd know that busses turn up when and where they feel like, with no rhyme or reason.

Don't believe me? Go and stand at stop number 1587 for a day, and see what you think about the bus service in Finglas (40 bus).

Or should people not go to their closest bus stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Finglas seems to be a black hole for buses, only had to get a bus from there on three occasions but each time it took twice as long as it should have.

Have you ever waited for a bus in Finglas?

No, obviously not, because if you had, you'd know that busses turn up when and where they feel like, with no rhyme or reason.

Don't believe me? Go and stand at stop number 1587 for a day, and see what you think about the bus service in Finglas (40 bus).

Or should people not go to their closest bus stop?

No, I haven't waited at a bus stop in Finglas. I was basing my comments on the timetable but if there are problems with the 40 bus (which is timetabled for every 10-12 minutes) complain to Dublin Bus and then the National Transport Authority.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 809 ✭✭✭frankosw

Dont agree with comments about the 40..i think its an excellent service and generally comes when it says it will.

There have been delays of course but the service is generally regular and punctual,especially in the mornings.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Finglas is fine enough whenever I've had to get it, but not in the evening, where it is not helped by non-existant 13s.

Finglas has the 40D, 220, 17A..

The 220 though. I lost count of how many times that went back on itself when I had to get it from Blanchardstown a few weeks as it wandered around Finglas.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

17A and 220 don't go to town :confused:

It didn't suit? Lazy more like, walking from Holles Street to that car park takes 10 minutes maybe 12 at a push - I'm lazy and I'd still walk it.

The streets you would have been driving down are the most used by the bus service you reckon is not decent, it's affected by cars driving illegally through roads they are barred from and by people driving very short distances that they could and should walk.

Where are you coming from that the bus service forces you to drive to work?

I am difficulty walking at the moment, and was on my to physiotherapy session.

Not that is any of your business, i came looking for help which i got. the tone is your post is horrendous.

this is a friendly helpful forum. i have spent the last 8 years on and off waiting on Finglas Buss, Head Office is on speed dial on my phone, i also email them at least 2 week.

I given up and bought a car cause life too short for it to 1.5 hours to go 5 miles (which i walked on numerous occasions because of the pathetic bus service).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

17A and 220 don't go to town :confused:

They can get you to somewhere that does which might be better than waiting on the 40 alone though. 17A gives you access to the 9, 83, 37/38/39/39A, 4, 13, 11 etc that all do go to town. 220 perhaps not..

• Advertisement
Advertisement