Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting Ipad to HDMI TV

• 29-01-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I want to connect the Ipad 2 to TV via HDMI cable (5M) I have no other Ipad accessories other than for charging.Where is best price to get HDNI cable & HDMI Ipad adator, do I need anything else. cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Apple online or any where that sells apple products - all will be about the same price, get the hdmi cable in discount shop or lidl/ aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭castle

Hi, I was in DID looking at HDMI cable and the price was 99E:mad: and when I said to the giuy that Aldi do them for 6E he started to say how powerful etc it was, am I missing something or is that price not crazy
    jamesd wrote: »
    Apple online or any where that sells apple products - all will be about the same price, get the hdmi cable in discount shop or lidl/ aldi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

castle wrote: »
    Hi, I was in DID looking at HDMI cable and the price was 99E:mad: and when I said to the giuy that Aldi do them for 6E he started to say how powerful etc it was, am I missing something or is that price not crazy

Price sounds high.
    I looked into doing this 18 months ago. In the end I bought an Apple TV. It wasn't that much more expensive than the HDMI adaptor that you can buy from Apple and you are able to airplay direct to your tv from the iPAD.
    It's obvioulsy a lot handier than having to physically connect the iPad to the TV and you also get all the other features of Apple TV if you're into that sort of thing.
    It's worth considering if the price difference isn't huge between the two options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

castle wrote: »

Stupidly crazy. HDMI is digital so it either works or doesn't work. The cable from ALDI will do you perfectly. The 99 euro cable is for ripping off uninformed customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

I got one in dealz at €1.50 and great quality, €99 and powerful mé hóle!!

• Advertisement

TBi wrote: »
    Stupidly crazy. HDMI is digital so it either works or doesn't work. The cable from ALDI will do you perfectly. The 99 euro cable is for ripping off uninformed customers.

True - certainly for short cable runs, although I don't know if I would get the absolute cheapest ones either.
    Generally the more expensive ones will be better shielded to prevent interferance from other electrical components and they'll probably be stronger.

Having said that, there's no way I'd be spending €100 on a short cable. I did have to spend a bit of money on an 10m one to run from my amp to projector - over those distances quality of the cable can have more of an effect.

True - certainly for short cable runs, although I don't know if I would get the absolute cheapest ones either.
    Generally the more expensive ones will be better shielded to prevent interferance from other electrical components and they'll probably be stronger.

Having said that, there's no way I'd be spending €100 on a short cable. I did have to spend a bit of money on an 10m one to run from my amp to projector - over those distances quality of the cable can have more of an effect.

It's digital so the only affect a bad cable will have is it won't work, the 'higher quality' cable won't give you a better picture. If the $1.99 cable works then you'll get exactly the same picture quality as the €99.

If it doesn't work you can just return it.

TBi wrote: »
    It's digital so the only affect a bad cable will have is it won't work, the 'higher quality' cable won't give you a better picture. If the $1.99 cable works then you'll get exactly the same picture quality as the €99.

If it doesn't work you can just return it.

I'm agreeing with you in this case.
    However, your statement that digital signals carried through HDMI are either 'perfect' or 'non-working' is an over-simplification.

Digital signals can suffer from interferance caused by other electrical components. This will typically show up as 'streaks' across the tv picture.
    Basically, some of the 1's and 0's get corrupted and the tv can't decode them properly.

As I previously stated, it's unlikely to be an issue with a short run and I wouldn't spend €100 on a cable.

Digital signals can suffer from interferance caused by other electrical components. This will typically show up as 'streaks' across the tv picture.
    Basically, some of the 1's and 0's get corrupted and the tv can't decode them properly.

True but the shielding required to stop this interference is minimal and would only cost a fraction more than an unshielded cable.

Only in very fortuitous cases would this only be slight corruption, very likely more than a few missing bits would cause CRC errors and full corruption of the screen.

Advertisement