Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying bulbs & seeds online recommendation

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

pwurple wrote: »
    I'm not looking down my nose at anyone, I am struggling to see why you are making this assumption. There is room in the world for us all. I've said that loads of times in this thread, but you keep insisting the opposite. Inability to read? That could explain you thinking your bulbs were a good deal too.

I firmly believe gardening is best done with your own propogation, which is free free free free. No expense required.

My words about the discount stores were to be cautious, as you have no idea how the product was stored before sale, and it certainly isn't stored properly in the shops. Plants are perishable. Storage is important.

You have been spouting off-topic bigoted vitriol towards me for the last few posts, and I'm wondering what your motivation is. Do you work in a discount store maybe? Or are related to someone who works there? I can't think of any other reason for your unquestioning loyalty to the foreign retailers.

I haven't even disagreed with you much, except to point out that your bargain was nothing of the sort. You paid over the odds for no good reason. Bad advice to any gardener I'd call that.

Maybe you should read back over several of your posts here then.

Classifying gardeners,and lording it down over their type of plant and what a person plants in their garden.

You went down this "classifying gardeners" and their "gardens and plants" route when I replied to you saying that I have never had any problems with any bulbs that I have bought from said stores named on page 2 post number 16

So you may like to re-read what you have posted,from post 18 onwards and see how it is comming accross on this thread.;)

Thats it right there..you hit the nail on the head.

I secretly work for......

Tesco
    Homebase
    B&Q
    Dealz
    Eurogiant
    Aldi
    Lidl

I work 3 hours a day in each of those stores,then I cycle my BMX bike home as fast as I can,I spend 2 hours with my daughter and then jump into bed for 1 hours sleep.

Then Im back up and on my BMX bike to do my 7 x 3 hour shifts for all of the above stores again.I do this each and every day of the year,and I only stop working for Christmas Day too....because Im that dedicated to the cause.

So well done you sir on that absolutely fantastic detective work right there...you found me out...Jessica Fletcher would be very proud of you...:pac::pac:

Oh and while you are at it.....would you also care to address the Camellia thread aswell please.???

Thankyou.

PS..Theres actually 20 bulbs in the Homebase packets...I posted the bulb packets that I bought last December (2011) in B&Q for 2 euro aswell..my bad,I posted the wrong pic,sorry.:o

So 20 bulbs in Homebase for for 2 euro a pack back in 2012 is indeed an even better bargain so.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

I think gardening is a matter of choice. Like Paddy147 and other posters if I see what I think is a bargain, in a DIY store or supermarket, I will purchase. I have also purchased in nurseries but have sometimes been disappointed - plant not as described, wrong colour etc.

Mo60 wrote: »
    I think gardening is a matter of choice. Like Paddy147 and other posters if I see what I think is a bargain, in a DIY store or supermarket, I will purchase. I have also purchased in nurseries but have sometimes been disappointed - plant not as described, wrong colour etc.

I went and bought a Camellia,some bird boxes and a few more seed packets in Aldi the other day

They were placed on the walls,and hopefully we will have a nesting robin or a few blue or greytits in there soon.

The garden is attracting some nice little birds (starlings I think) and some blackbirds too,saw a robin yesterday sitting in the birch tree and taking some feed from the bird feeder ( 2 euro in Eurogiant).

Ok,so the bird boxes were only 7 euro each,but if I get a nesting bird in even 1 of them,then it will be 7 euro well spent indeed.:)

Currently typing on this computer and trying to build/make my wooden bird feeding station from scratch aswell.

I need 4 hands so I do.:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Mo60

Paddy, just looked at your bird boxes. Just a warning about the one above the trellis - a cat could easily climb up the trellis and get to the box. I have cats and have to be careful where I place boxes and feeders.

Mo60 wrote: »
    Paddy, just looked at your bird boxes. Just a warning about the one above the trellis - a cat could easily climb up the trellis and get to the box. I have cats and have to be careful where I place boxes and feeders.

Curently that nest box is about 10 feet up off the ground on that wall.

Ive had no probelm with cats (none that I know of anyway since buying the house)..and some of the birds seem to like to sit there on the trellis for a few minutes...so I decided to place it there,on an easterly facing wall.

But I might have a look around and see if there is a more suitable and higher location to place that particular nest box.

Thanks for the advice.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

paddy147 wrote: »

You went down this "classifying gardeners" and their "gardens and plants" route.

What a chip on your shoulder you have. Do you not know there are such things as people who work in the horticultural industry and get paid to work with gardens and landscapes. Those are professionals. Everyone else is not.

It's not a judgement, or lording it over anyone, it's just a simple fact. What's your problem with it?

You have some sort of inferiority complex and fly off the handle when being reminded that professionals even exist. It says a lot more about you than me though. It might be something to do with what I see on the rest of this forum. You constantly and rudely contradicting other more experienced posters, who clearly have a lot more education and training that you have.

I am going to say this for the last time... although I'm sure you will have some further mumbo jumbo about BMX's to throw in, so you can cling miserably to having the last word.

There is room in gardening for everyone. Professionals and non professionals. Accept both experiences. They are both valid.

pwurple wrote: »
    What a chip on your shoulder you have. Do you not know there are such things as people who work in the horticultural industry and get paid to work with gardens and landscapes. Those are professionals. Everyone else is not.

It's not a judgement, or lording it over anyone, it's just a simple fact. What's your problem with it?

You have some sort of inferiority complex and fly off the handle when being reminded that professionals even exist. It says a lot more about you than me though. It might be something to do with what I see on the rest of this forum. You constantly and rudely contradicting other more experienced posters, who clearly have a lot more education and training that you have.

I am going to say this for the last time... although I'm sure you will have some further mumbo jumbo about BMX's to throw in, so you can cling miserably to having the last word.

There is room in gardening for everyone. Professionals and non professionals. Accept both experiences. They are both valid.

Look back and RE-READ all of what you have posted here since post 18...you are the 1 with the issue here,you have slated diy and disccount stores,looked down your nose at gardeners and their type of plants...and because you seem to have an issue with what gardeners plant in their gardenes and where they may buy from..

GO AND RE-READ ALL THAT YOU HAVE POSTED HERE ON THIS THREAD....slating companies and looking down your nose over peoples choice of bulbs and their price.

The only issue is the way you have posted and looked down your nose on what plants that different people like and how you are classifying them.

You didnt like what I posted on the bulbs form cheaper shops being perfectly fine for me and that I had no issue with them,and then you went off on a different agenda,when someone (myself) challenged your original comments...(your 1st post-page 1 on this thread)

Now aswell as that,can go over onto the Aldi Camellia thread and reply there over your unfounded comments on those Aldi Camellias too please.

You seem to be avoiding that thread for some reason??:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement