Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port Road, Letterkenny Photo?

Options
  • 29-01-2013 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I saw an old pic of Lettekenny in a nursing home the other day - couldnt figure out where it was. I found it online here:

http://www.letterkennyguide.com/oldphotos.asp
    (one on bottom row, on the left.) The label says Port Road, but I cant see where on Port Road it was.

Anyone able to provide any help?

I looked at the old maps on OSI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Above post moved from the Donegal Photo game thread where it was off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,100 ✭✭✭✭muffler

By the looks of it it appears that it was taken from a spot just below where the theatre is and Boyce's cafe is on the left with the old railway station straight ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Would have thought the same except there is a road to the right just before it, a forest in front of us and no sign of the rail lines.

Fairly certain that it is facing out of town since we can't see any of the main buildings. Also, the Port Road was basically from the where the Tesco roundabout it going out (according to the maps). There is a road way showing a the Right turn, then left around where the LYIT would be now, but the 1913 map shows no forestry past it or buildings, but if they were afterwards it could be possible.
    Though it is kinda far out for the welcome decoration, but maybe if people were coming in from Raphoe...
    That's my guess anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

To me it seems like the other side of picture 7. Same position of flags and shape of arch. Tesco roundabout seems the most likely location for me aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

To me it seems like the other side of picture 7. Same position of flags and shape of arch. Tesco roundabout seems the most likely location for me aswell.

So the forest would be around Oatfields (and beyond)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Senna wrote: »

So the forest would be around Oatfields (and beyond)?

Yeah, just past Oatfields on the edge of the Aldi carpark. The area is marked Gortlee Bridge on the old 6 inch OSI map. Some changes since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

I'd agree. Photo 10 looking at the train station. Taken from around the "n" on Ramelton Road on this map http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,617273,911771,7,9 Photo 7 is looking the opposite way up towards Main Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭jmark

Cheers folks - that seems to hit the spot.

Advertisement