Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newly Qualified but no job - advice needed!

• 29-01-2013 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

Hi guys,

I passed FAE 2012 first time and am fully qualified. I finished my training contract in April 2012 and took time off to study for my FAEs (no regrets there!) - and while waiting for my results joined a JobBridge Scheme close to home - Now that I am fully qualified - should I quit the scheme all together?

I am actively looking around but no luck so far - maybe the time is not right, I don't know. I am getting less interested in the internship by the day and am planning to hand over my notice and concentrate fully on job search.

The recruitment agents I have spoken to - well most of them said that my experience re: JobBridge won't even be considered so why bother...

Any help would be appreciated....To be honest, I am a little disappointed as I have been actively searching for the past 2 months, but no luck so far... :(((((

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Hi Rums,
    Keep the Job bridge up until you get something.
    Hows the search going. Are you going from a practice background? Do you know what ye want to get into i.e back to practice, industry etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 rums08

brinty wrote: »
    Hi Rums,
    Keep the Job bridge up until you get something.
    Hows the search going. Are you going from a practice background? Do you know what ye want to get into i.e back to practice, industry etc?

Hi Brinty,

The search is ok. There are a lot of jobs advertised, but once i send my CV in to the Recruiters - they are either put on hold and I hear nothing back for 2 weeks...so I really don't know.

I am flexible - really don't mind practice or industry as long as the role has good growth prospects....Ideally I would love to get into Internal Audit....but second preference I really don't mind...

Regarding the JobBridge - It is not going well either. The manager is only a book-keeper who got promoted after working in the company for years and I discovered errors in the reconciliations etc so the manager is starting to feel threatened I think and was very rude to me in the open office, so I am totally put off and just want to quit...I mean they are not even paying me, so why should I take s**t from someone like that? I even went and reported the matter to HR, but to be honest, my heart is no longer in this....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 107 ✭✭smellsfunny

Consult your local dole office as quitting the internship might cut your dole as you are not available for work. I'd stick with the internship. Statestreet in Kilkenny and Dublin are always looking for business graduates. Mighn't be directly in accounting but its a start and their pretty easy to get into.

Consult your local dole office as quitting the internship might cut your dole as you are not available for work. I'd stick with the internship. Statestreet in Kilkenny and Dublin are always looking for business graduates. Mighn't be directly in accounting but its a start and their pretty easy to get into.

I rang the SW and they said one week's notice is all I need to give. The additional allowance of €50 will be taken off but I will still get the dole per week for another 6 months.

Unfortunately with some recruiters you needto bug the holy hell out of them, the more often they hear from you t5he better as you are then at the fore front of their minds.
    You probably need to choose roles suitable to your experience and tailor your cv accordingly..if you have a CV that matches up to requirements of the roles you apply for it makes things easier for a recruiter to push for you with a potential employer.
    Have you met with any agencies in person, this will make it easier for them also, as they have meet you etc..easier to push someone you have met...know they have appropriate appearance, can talk in an interview type situation..they have some feel for who you are and what you could bring to a potential employer

• Advertisement

brinty wrote: »
    Unfortunately with some recruiters you needto bug the holy hell out of them, the more often they hear from you t5he better as you are then at the fore front of their minds.
    You probably need to choose roles suitable to your experience and tailor your cv accordingly..if you have a CV that matches up to requirements of the roles you apply for it makes things easier for a recruiter to push for you with a potential employer.
    Have you met with any agencies in person, this will make it easier for them also, as they have meet you etc..easier to push someone you have met...know they have appropriate appearance, can talk in an interview type situation..they have some feel for who you are and what you could bring to a potential employer

Yeah I have met them in person. I guess the market itself is slow and employers are being very cautious.

I have decided that I will be handing over my notice tomorrow to my Internship and will concentrate full time on job search. There is no point working in a place where you are not respected.

Thanks for all your support... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 JAKE11

It does not make sense for a qualified accountant to be on a jobbridge programme. Jobbridge is for graduates looking to get some work experience. You have years of experience to offer an employer and they should be prepared to pay you for it. Would you go back to your previous employer / would they take you back?

JAKE11 wrote: »
    It does not make sense for a qualified accountant to be on a jobbridge programme. Jobbridge is for graduates looking to get some work experience. You have years of experience to offer an employer and they should be prepared to pay you for it. Would you go back to your previous employer / would they take you back?

No they won't. I trained in a medium sized practice and they do not have the policy of holding on to trainees after they finish the contract.

I am hopeful that I will get the interviews, its only a matter of time. I do agree that the job bridge programme is not for me and I am neither using my skills to the fullest nor is there proper training of the business being given, so I will be handing over my notice.

I feel light and clear now that I have made my decision.

Thanks once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭capefear

Were you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

rums08 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I passed FAE 2012 first time and am fully qualified. I finished my training contract in April 2012 and took time off to study for my FAEs (no regrets there!) - and while waiting for my results joined a JobBridge Scheme close to home - Now that I am fully qualified - should I quit the scheme all together?

I am actively looking around but no luck so far - maybe the time is not right, I don't know. I am getting less interested in the internship by the day and am planning to hand over my notice and concentrate fully on job search.

The recruitment agents I have spoken to - well most of them said that my experience re: JobBridge won't even be considered so why bother...

Any help would be appreciated....To be honest, I am a little disappointed as I have been actively searching for the past 2 months, but no luck so far... :(((((

Where are you based?

I passed FAEs in 2012 also but in contract until March 2013 but have been working with recruiters for last three weeks and have got three interviews and at this stage have one offer for new role in April.

Surprised that someone with a good track record would struggle, i know it is an employers market at the moment but there are quite a few roles that i have seen out there in the past few weeks that match your stated preferences.

Best of luck with it, if i was you i would leave the Jobsbridge scheme too as it sounds likes an unenjoyable environment.

• Advertisement

Where are you based?

I passed FAEs in 2012 also but in contract until March 2013 but have been working with recruiters for last three weeks and have got three interviews and at this stage have one offer for new role in April.

Surprised that someone with a good track record would struggle, i know it is an employers market at the moment but there are quite a few roles that i have seen out there in the past few weeks that match your stated preferences.

Best of luck with it, if i was you i would leave the Jobsbridge scheme too as it sounds likes an unenjoyable environment.

Are you working in Big 4 or medium sized practice?
    I went for three interviews so far - but the jobs were put on hold, to my luck!
    I have three more interviews coming up...so fingers crossed!

Btw, handed in my notice today....Am so relieved.... :)

I was talking to a recruitment agent who is looking after roles for me - I was telling him that my confidence is starting to take a dip - he reassured me that my CV was strong - I had very good audit experience and its just a matter of time really....He also said that firms in general are being cautious and putting things on hold...and that I was not the only one in this position...So I am feeling much better now!

Fingers crossed I do well in the interviews next week! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Trend Setter in Training

rums08 wrote: »
    Are you working in Big 4 or medium sized practice?
    I went for three interviews so far - but the jobs were put on hold, to my luck!
    I have three more interviews coming up...so fingers crossed!

Btw, handed in my notice today....Am so relieved.... :)

Medium practice.

Interviews done for big four and industry.

Best of luck with them and well done on taking the plunge!

Hi all,

Got a job!!! :))))))

Small practice, decent market level pay....

Phew! Patience has finally paid off!

Thanks again for all your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Been following this thread with interest. Well done and good luck in the new job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭capefear

hI rums08

congrats and best of luck with the new job. well done.

Well done Rums and congrats, best of luck with it

Advertisement