Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epileptic Fit - Sudden disinterest in nailbiting!

Options
  • 29-01-2013 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

My little one of 6 had her first epileptic fit recently. She was always, for some reason a nail biter. Finger nails, and toe nails. Well, since her episode she has had no longing to bite her nails! at all!

She was the type to bite skin & all, and often hobbled up the hallway with a bleeding toe! and of course denying all responsiblity for the said bleeding toe! lol.

Has anyone ever heard of... Changes in habits after an epileptic fit?
    I'm fasinated by this, and can't wait to pull out the pink nail varnish for her!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do mention it to the doctors and watch out for other behaviour changes (but don't be paranoid or overbearing with such changes). I wouldn't pass comment to your daughter, other than in a passing sort of way, such that she doesn't become self-conscious about not doing it.

I imagine any issue with the central nervous system could have additional side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

has she started meds? Epilepsy meds can change habits, likes and dislikes etc in some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

emzolita wrote: »
    has she started meds? Epilepsy meds can change habits, likes and dislikes etc in some people.

No not yet, we were given medcine to give her, if she gets another fit..that lasts longer then 5 mins. But her EEG reports aren't back yet, so she hasn't started medicine (if she ever starts it, the pedea. doc is convinced it's definitely epilepsy, even though the results aren't back).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

Her EEG reuslts may come back clear. it's not unusual for people with high seizure activity to get a clear result.
    Don't let the possibility of a clear EEG deter you from the diagnosis of Epilepsy though. Also, look up on simple partial, and complex partial seizures to see if your child is having these that you may be unaware of.
    Good luck with the meds. x

Advertisement